Author Topic: Purple Shark questions.  (Read 8774 times)

Offline aoi cobalt

Purple Shark questions.
« on: February 09, 2008, 06:16:42 AM »
I've been looking at the Capitol Purplr Sharks and have some questions about them.
1) Is the Purple Shark a flying vehicle? (I assume yes, but still want to know because it doesn't say.)
2) The move on a Purple Shark is 0:6-10. What does this mean?
3) Where does the Purple Shark fall as far as crew? Is it a one person crew (with a passenger), or is it a multi-crewed vehicle (even though the passenger usually doesn't have anything to do with driving or firing the guns)?

Question 3 also applies to Orcas (sort of). Is an Orca a one crew vehicle that can take a passsenger who can dismount, or (if you take the HMGunner) is it now a multi-crewed vehicle (and what about when the HMGunner dismounts)?
"Bring your best dice or bring a good brick." - Thom

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Purple Shark questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »
First of all, welcome aboard, aoi cobalt.  Nice to see new faces.

I've been looking at the Capitol Purplr Sharks and have some questions about them.
1) Is the Purple Shark a flying vehicle? (I assume yes, but still want to know because it doesn't say.)

- It is a flyer.  Actually, it does not, specifically, say that it is a flyer, but if you read the Special Rules, it does say that it can move through height bands.

2) The move on a Purple Shark is 0:6-10. What does this mean?

- Read as:  Earth Bound MV: 0 Flying MV: 6/ may be at Height Bands 0-8.  See p. 46, 7.2.3 - Flying Models.

3) Where does the Purple Shark fall as far as crew? Is it a one person crew (with a passenger), or is it a multi-crewed vehicle (even though the passenger usually doesn't have anything to do with driving or firing the guns)?

- It is Single-Crewed.  See p.181, Special Rules for the fate of the rider in the event of vehicle death.

Question 3 also applies to Orcas (sort of). Is an Orca a one crew vehicle that can take a passsenger who can dismount, or (if you take the HMGunner) is it now a multi-crewed vehicle (and what about when the HMGunner dismounts)?

- It is single-crewed.  The gunner may only fire once per turn, at a -3 RC penalty due to the unstable firing platform that is the Orca.

Are you asking if the vehicles are single-crewed because of the +3 RC bonus for not moving?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:41:40 AM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 06:48:16 AM »
Are you asking if the vehicles are single-crewed because of the +3 RC bonus for not moving?

Yes. That and the "move and fire" rule.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:10:11 AM »
They both apply, even to single-crewed vehicles.  The rule in the book has been FAQ'd.  Due to laziness on the part of your's, truly, the FAQ has yet to be posted.  Suffice to say that both single- and multi-crewed vehicles are entitled to the +3 RC bonus when not moving during the action.  Therefore, a gunner on an Orca that fires while the Orca is not moving gains the +3 RC, but is, still, subject to the -3 RC inherent penalty, producing a total bonus/penalty of 0.

Does this answer your question?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 07:22:36 AM »
Yes, thank you.

Also (not that it has anything to do with Purple Sharks), is there going to be a group running UWZ at Origins this year?

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 07:26:51 AM »
Planning for Origins continues although we all need to kick it up a notch. Real life seems to be having a good time kicking the Midwest Crusaders in the proverbial nads this year but Lord willing and the creeks don't rise too high we will once again be hosting a slate of events. We shouuld be in the same location as past years in the Mini Hall and look forward to seeing as many Forum Members as possible. Currently the plan is for Warzone, Chronopia and  few surprizes.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 07:30:03 AM »
Forgive my bad manners -

Welcome Aboard aoi cobalt

Where are you located?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 07:43:24 AM »
Cincinnati, Ohio.
Columbus is just up the road from me.
I've talked to the guys at Origins before, and they initially pointed me here (I've been a board member for a while, but didn't have much to say. Sorry :( )
Now I've started to finally get some of the Capitol figs painted (I don't paint very well, but they work for me).
I've also got about 500 pts in Imperial, 750 in Cybertronic and Bauhaus, and 1000 (or so) in Illian. (most of which is not painted)
No games here in Cinci (although I know other people who have the game), so I was just wondering if there would be some games up at Origins.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 08:30:37 AM »
How far is that from Louisville? Therre is a group of us in Southern Illinois and a group in Cleveland and near the middle is Spagg and Roach Co in Louisville, KY. Maybe a game day is in order?

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 08:44:28 AM »
Cincinnati is about 150 to 200 miles from Louisville, the same to Columbus, and about 300 to Cleveland.
Maybe a game day would be a nice idea (since I haven't played UWZ... just some 2nd Ed WZ).
Just give me an idea how many points usually get used... I'll try to get my Capitol guys painted (and maybe some Illians...) ;D

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
Yo Spagg!! You and Roach got the time and/or space for hosting a Midwest Shootout in Louisville? I'd offer to do it in C'dale but that is 9 hours of driving for Stalker and more for Sylvas, One King and the rest of the Cleveland Gang. You seem to be within a days drive or less for all.

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »
Curses! >:(
I just looked and I will be somewhere else during Origins... for the first time in a while.
Still... having a nearby (sort of) gameday would be nice.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 12:34:26 PM »
We got options, Never under-estimate my ability to arrange a game or 3  ;D

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »
Is Talamania II--Electric Boogaloo still open for people to come?
I might try for a small vacation then.
But something closer would be nice. :)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »
Talamania is open until it's over. It is held at Dave's (dmcgee) house and is the ultimate in camraderie. I honestly don't know if anyone stayed in a hotel last time and the Texas Death Fries are the second best food I have found at any con......Napoli Villa in Cloumbus has the best - love that cheesecake.  ;D