Author Topic: OPTION: Squad Experience Rules  (Read 3863 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
OPTION: Squad Experience Rules
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »
Because work is so slow thanks to the strike--- I have waaay too much time on my hands...so I thought I'd post these squad exp. rules I came up with a while ago.

This variant reflects how a squads who suriive several battles become veterans, better at fighting and who gain a reputation in the field over time.  We've used this rules in campaigns, and they've been great fun, esp. when one squad becomes infamous on the field....

Experience Point (EP) Table         
• Squad Survives The Battle        +1 EP
• Kills                 +1 EP/ Confirmed Kill
• Victory For Your Side      +2 EP
• MVS (Purple Heart Heroics)         +2 EP (Squad turns the tide, captures a key objective, makes an amazing stand)

Keep a running tally of the Squad’s Experience Points (EP) on your roster.  The total experience achieved for the whole squad’s kills are pooled and used with the chart below to determine how many Squad Special Abilities the squad gains. 

Also, I suggest naming your squad for flavor (Hanson’s Hero’s, The Jackal Hearts, Die Stahl Ritters, etc.).

Squad Casualties & Experience--
To reflect that it is squad's veterans that make it better--

• If more than ½ the squad is killed in the battle, then reduce its total experience by 1/2. 

Squad Rewards Table

EP Total         Squad Level          Squad Rewards      
0-20           Untested                0 Special Abilities   
21-50         Veterans                1 Special Ability
51-90             Decorated Heroes     2 Special Abilities
91+             Legendary Fighters      3 Special Abilities

SQUAD ABILITIES
1.   Hearts of Steel – This squad may reroll one failed panic test.

2.   Ye of Mighty Faith – This squad adds +1 to LD tests when attacking a feared opponent.

3.   Leave No Man Behind – If this squad survives the battle.  Roll a D20 for each casualty as if using a Medic 6 skill to see if the model survived the fight. 

4.   Well Oiled Machine – This squad knows its comrades like they know themselves and therefore how to work together seamlessly together.    This squad may reroll one Fumble ("20") per turn.

5.   Firefight Tactics – This squad knows how to create cross fires to pin down their enemy.  Instead of causing casualites this unit mya fire to "pin down" it's foe.  Total the HITS scored by the squad on the target unit (even if they don’t wound) – Enemy must make a LD test "–hit total" to or be pinned down and unable move next turn.

6.   Jungle Fighters - May ignore forest/jungle/swamp move penalties.  May roll LD tests to avoid jungle hazards.

7.   Desert Fighters - May ignore Desert/Mountain/Barrens move penalties.  May roll LD tests to avoid hazards.

8.   Guerilla Fighters –Gains Camouflage: 2 when within 2” of terrain.

9.   Commando Fighters – Troop gains the Stealth: 2 skill.

10.   Battle Brothers – If a trooper is killed, this unit may make a LD test.  If FAILED, the unit flies into a fury and attacks the offending enemy unit relentlessly.  Gain +2 RC and +2 AR for the next round.  This is not a cumulative effect.

11.   Mad Dash – THis unit is skilled and taking key positions.  The unit may use all actions to charge towards the nearest enemy/objective at +1 MV and is -1 RC to hit.  These troopers model may not fire or enter CC until next turn.

12.   Forced March – 1x Per battle this squad may move +2” per move action, but may charge into CC.

13.   Blitz Troopers – This unit may fire a volley (-2 RC) as it charges into CC.

14.   Storm Troopers – For 1 turn per battle, this squad may MOVE and FIRE (at -2 RC) and only use 1 Action but may not do so while charging into CC.

15.   Mountaineers – This unit is full of skilled climbers and can scale even sheer surfaces at normal move.

16.   Scouts – This unit adds +2 to all Spot rolls.

17.   The Chosen (Accursed) Few - This units gains +2 to save vs. dark symmetry powers (or if Dark vs. Art powers).

18.   True Grit - 1x per battle, this unit can ignore any CC casualties it takes and fight on.  The next turn, those cxsualties are removed as normal.

19.   Merciless Reputation – This unit is renown for its battle savagery and has a Dire: 2 effect.

20.   Carpe Diem – 1x per battle this unit may seize the initiative and activate out of turn.

21.   Sneaky Bastards – This unit is good at using terrain to protect them and are therefore -1 to hit with RC (assuming they not standing in an open field!).

22.   Scavengers – This unit is good at getting their hands on contraband and unauthorized weapons.  Outfit one model with any weapon from any list (the weapon’s category must match that typically carried by the trooper) or give up to 3 models grenades. 

23.   Strategically Minded – This entire unit gains the Tactical Sense skill.

24.   Night Fighters – This squad is trained and equipped for night fighting and suffers no penalties when fighting in darkness.

25.   The Stuff of Legends - 1x per battle this unit may activate TWICE in a turn!

26.   Someone Up There Must Love US –1x per battle, this unit may ignore ALL RC hits taken from 1 enemy unit that turn (must be used immediately after enemy unit’s attack ends).

27.   Field Engineers – This unit is skilled at digging in for a fight.  If these models do nothing for 1 round they may be treated as if in a trench (pg.96).

28.   To The Last Man – This unit is so devoted to their reputation as warriors.  This unit may Panic but will NEVER Break.

29.   Melee Masters – In CC the unit gains the ability to parry.  Roll ½ their CC to cancel any close combat hit.  Does not require an action.

30.   Glory Hounds – These men always fly headlong into danger and pride themselves on turning the ride of a battle.  When attacking/defending an objective (or objective location) in a scenario they gain +1 RC, +2 CC, +2 LD, and +2 AR.

31.   Bounty Hunters ¬– These men kill for a price. Pick one enemy unit (individual) per battle.  Their leader is the bounty.  If the bounty is killed, gain +5 EP per wound for killing him.  This unit may choose to capture this foe instead of killing him and trade him for VP in a campaign (see below)

32.   War Cry – This unit has a terrifying battle cry as is charges at its foes.  Enemies are -2 CC for their first round of close combat against this unit.

33.   Tank Busters – This unit is skilled at taking out mechanized opponents and treat their weapons as if they have AV-1. (not vs. non-vehicles).

34.   Combat Teleporters – Using an experimental technology captured in a previous campaign, 1x per game this unit can teleport D20” any one direction.  On an 18-20, the tech malfunctions and a trooper is killed in the mishap instead.

Feel free to add your own!!!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: OPTION: Squad Experience Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:52:16 AM »
nice, and not overpowered abilities..

-> not as unballanced as e.g. mortheim, i think
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:34:48 AM »
Interesting stuff... and something to use in an established campaign.

Nice!
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline semai99

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:08:03 AM »
I Like these great for a campaign set of games.

Do you roll for which skills you might get?

If so I'd set it out as percentiles  and make a couple of them, the less powerful ones a couple of bands ie 34 to 37 and the more powerful and game changing ones such as No. 25 on the list a single number.

What do you think?
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »
Yes - pls modify and fix all you want.  I'm not married to any of this stuff, it's just food for the collective thought.  I always feel player input makes games better (most of the time... ;) )

I think random is best OR, if you play with cool, fair-minded people, we sometimes have our opponent (group) pick the ability that best reflects WHAT the squad did in the fight that would bring them more experience.

E.g. If they held out against all odds it might be a True Grit, or if they raided an alien cache, it might be combat teleporters.

The system is great for a campaign or even an ongoing tournament.

Glad you guys like them!

D

I have special abilities for commanders/leaders as well, I'll post later.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
Here another ability for you to help balance some of the others--

35. WILEY VETS - These guys have seen it all and know how to counter almost any foe.  1x per battle this squad may cancel the Squad Experience Ability of an an enemy unit within MR.

D

Offline semai99

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »
I think random is best OR, if you play with cool, fair-minded people, we sometimes have our opponent (group) pick the ability that best reflects WHAT the squad did in the fight that would bring them more experience.

E.g. If they held out against all odds it might be a True Grit, or if they raided an alien cache, it might be combat teleporters.

This is what I'd do with some of my opponents as the special ability should really reflect what they have encountered another way is to split the list into different categories Ie Untested                Veterans ,  Decorated Heroes, Legendary Fighters  and assign so many to each one the best ones obviously only being available to the Legendary Fighters

If I was doing it in a campaign system I'd opt for the roll on the tables but would split them up as stated.

I have special abilities for commanders/leaders as well, I'll post later.

Love to see these as well cheers, with two chubby thumbs up  ;D
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »
Pls feel free to separate them into the tables and list the percentages - would love to see that.

D