Author Topic: UWZ Strategies & Tactics (Suggestions, Brags, and Boasts, all welcome)  (Read 4326 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
I've noticed that people can't help but talking about their favorite tactics (and with good reason) and that these posts have wormed their way into other threads (just read the Favorite Characters post), so I thought, why not create a post exclusively for sharing/discussing/boasting about your favorite UWZ strategies and tactics, etc.

Gentlemen - the floor is yours....

D

Offline Lopis

Re: UWZ Strategies & Tactics (Suggestions, Brags, and Boasts, all welcome)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:14:53 AM »
So that all can read īem here and use them against me......?
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »
Well - anyone who sees you play is going to learn them anyway...no?  This is an optional thread - you don't have to share if you don't want to. :)

Offline Lopis

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »
Hmm now that you say that it clears out even to me  ;D

Since I almost lost every game I played I canīt brag a lot about winning strategies. ;)

But I think using real guns to convince your opponents to wave the white flag should work. OK they might never want to play a game again with you, but itīs a possibility... :o

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »
But I think using real guns to convince your opponents to wave the white flag should work. OK they might never want to play a game again with you, but itīs a possibility... :o

Nice ;D
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Lopis

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »
OK a brag:

I get lucky with handguns.... The guy who killed the battlewalker in the last scenario was as hard hitting with his handgun as the BH Trooper killing Alakhai with his nemesis (1st Ed) ;-)

But to Tactics:

In relative long range hiding the sniper behing squad-comrades to keep him from being shot by other snipers is known, isnīt it ?

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »
this is from an very old post on mine
its the tactics I use for My Cartel agent army.

TACTICS

you have to be flexable with your plan.

1. you move 4 inches an action

2. you have a strong hth attack but dont forget you can use your guns!
with a 4 inch move. you can move 8 inchs and shot out to 12" thats  a 20 inch effect range per model.

3. the enforcer can shoot out to med range and its gun is killer in short to point blank range.
it also has AV rating at damage 10. this is what killed the deathegg!!

4. theres alot of agents on the army list sometimes it pays to swarm.

5. special agents can from fire team and have a extra wound with a much better AR. This can nearly double the amount of activations a turn. Special agents sometimes are used as a shielding unit when caught in the open field or as flaking unit sent out to kill certian enemy units I need to be taken out.

6. snipers do several things. one they take alot of in coming fire freeing up the rest of the army. If they can catch a enemy unit in med range they are truely killer. Dont get caught at a extreme range sniper match with enemy sniper, the sniper is good not his gun. Because they
are snipers, they are good plucking out models at range. they have "dead shot", if you can get the armys into HTH brawl sharpshooters will shine.

7. unless you reach the army into HTH dont charge into a firing line where the enemy has a clear line of sight. Low AR means you'll be dead dead dead.

8. oddly eviromental effects can be your friend. When fighting Cybertronic all shots was limited to 12' due to jungle effects, This work great for me and allow me to shot up the Deathegg!!

9. Nick micheals is used as a  "initiative" machine.

10. Play aggressive but play smart, again due to low ar long term defensive actions will kill you.

11. Dont be afarid to move around, if on one side the enemy is proving too strong move. Attack another side. cause some losses to your enemy so can swarm him with your vast numbers.

12. when you get the chance use the agents KUNG FU. get into HTH no matter who it is.
these little buggers took out mirrior men like noones business.

13. try to keep the enforcers alive long enough so they can bring their guns to bear.

thats all I can think of now.
hope this gives a clearer picture how the agents play out.

and yes there are times you really wish they had a rifle

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:55:29 AM »
Imperial Wolfbane tactic:
I mentioned this in the favorite character thread but one of my favorite tactics with my Wolfpack army:  Two large squads of Wolfbane commandos each with a Wolfbane Vanquisher in command and at least 2 HMG's.  Add to this either Sean Gallagher or a Wolfbane Packmaster or an Elder Chieftain as an individual.  These three units start the game in close proximity.  I activate one squad of wolfbanes and move them, except for the HMG's, I use their form Fireteam to break off and become a seperate unit.  THe last one to move is the Vanquisher and his last action is to activate the second squad of wolfbane commandos.  They do the same thing, the HMG's break off and form fireteam with the other two HMGs.  I now have a squad of at least 4 and up to 6 HMG's.  The squads provide cover for the HMG's until they can get into a good cover position to fire upon the enemy.  The individual stays close to the HMG's and can activate them when needed and provide morale support.  When you get them to range, the HMG's can devastate whole squads giving them the firepower of an artillery unit.  You can also keep the HMG's two seperate fire teams in order to cover different fire lanes or the same one from two different points to cover any 'blind' spots.

Dark Legion - Muawijhe: The Gibbering Horde - A Doomsday Proclaimer with several squads of Karnophages, 1 or 2 squads of Zenethian Soulslayers, a Slaughtermaster and some fire support using two squads of Screaming Legionaires.  This is a fast attack CC army.  The Karnophages and Doomsday Proclaimer both have a movement of 5".  The Zenethians have a movement rate of 4".  I devastated a Bauhaus army with this army.  I had the Karnophages and Doomsday on one flank, shooty guys in the middle, Zenthians on the other flank.  This was on a trench board, with the Bauhaus entrenched with Vulcans on one flank that were outside the trenches.  There were 12" of open area to cross.  I sent the Zenethians after the vulcans, the Doomsday group went after the guys in the trenches.  The shambling horde advanced up the middle with move move shoot and their Golem of Darkness slightly in the lead to draw bullets and use his Aura of Darkness once he made it to within 6".    By Turn 4 most of the Bauhaus in the trenches were either dead or routed with stained pants.  The Vulcans were taken out with the loss of only 1 Soulslayer. 

Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 01:19:37 PM »
1000 point Death From Above Army - DL-Algeroth All Paradeploy Army
--------------------------------------------------------------------
7 Neronian Legionaires plus 1 Golem of Darkness
6 Neronian Legionaires plus 1 Golem of Darkness
Algeroth Drop Pod - 4 necrotyrants + 1 Carnal Harvester
Algeroth Drop Pod - 4 necrotyrants + 1 Carnal Harvester

Comes out to 1003 points actually.

Imagine the look on your opponents face when they start placing squads or cards and you tell them to go ahead, you reserve placement by paradeploy.
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »
I like it.  My kind of strategy.  Despite the misgivings some have about the PD SA, I love the quiet threat that it leaves over the table.  Sometimes even NOT deploying my PD unit has been a better weapon then deploying them since it screws with my opponent's puh-sychology...as he wonders when and where I'm coming in.

On a separate note...strategywise I played yesterday unsing an Imperial force against Capitol.  Dodging RL's, Orcas and Mortars, I sprinted headlong towards my foe across the field to get inside his effective range bands,using a large squad of Regulars (Mv 4) as a vanguard for Head Hunters (mv 4). 

With an Imperial Colonel helping with Initiative I activated my HH's last, broke from behind the regulars meat shield and raced deep into my opponent's lines chopping up hapless Capitol troopers.  Winning the Init. next turn - I activated the HH's again and totally shattered my foes' center. 

As he moved his forces inwards  to stop the melee slaughter, I paradeployed 2 squads on his flanks of blood berets as support...

It was glorious.   I don't always win, but this one felt good. :)