Author Topic: Mines Deviation. Unrealistic  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Enker

Mines Deviation. Unrealistic
« on: January 18, 2008, 04:43:27 AM »
Hi,

I know in the Rulebook it says, that you count the deviation of a mine explosion from the counter.

But is that right? Shouldn't it say "count the deviation from the model who stepped on the mine"?

Many Mines have a small explosion template. Now if a model activates the mine 3'' away and the template deviates away from the model it is not hit.
Come one, who places the trigger of the mine so far away from the mine that the model who steps on it is not harmed?

I would even say there should be no deviation of a mine (exept the claymore) because the trigger and the place of the explosion is the same on most mines.

For the fact that the counter is not the actual place of the mine you already have the 3'' activation rule.

What do you think?
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Mines Deviation. Unrealistic
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 05:41:21 AM »
Actually a common ambush tactic is to place a couple of claymores along the trail, usually overhead and put the trip line or lines forward of the explosives so that the lead or secondman trips them and they go off on the main body of troops. This being said, the deviation rule for mines is in my opinion a less than perfect method of attempting to keep players from avoiding mines. Since no one would go within det radius of a mine if they know where it is , the deviation attempts to make it a secret. What it actually does is limit the approaches of your opponent. I haven't used them a lot but if you place them right your opponent has limited advancement options unless they want to risk the mines. This doesn't always work if your opponent is willing to sacrifice troops.   :o
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:31:20 AM »
The reason deviation is like this is mainly so your opponent doesn't just send 1 guy to clear the mine, as stated in above exp. guy 1 could trigger it and it could dev. into the squad. ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Lopis

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »
Man  ;D

As I already explained to you the mines have a fixed deviation-range. If you do the deviation from the model itself it will NEVER be hit......

And since you need a LD test he can run over the mine without triggering it and one of the following mods triggers it then maybe they all stand inside the active radius of the mines.

And second it is all a bit relativated if you hold in mind that (afaik) you do the check at the end of the models action if it got through the 3 inch radius. so another possibility to get it nearer if the model only moves on a tangential if the radius.

And third for an angle of at least 90° the mine deviates in direction of the model the triggered it. Thats a 25% chance. Not so bad.....

Last but not least you have not only that on mine. There are other types of mines which will nearly everytime hit at least the triggering mod with keeping the chance of doing a lot more damage to the following group.
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Lopis

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
Just forgot one.

As the others here have said rightly :  Itīs an approach to do a system that keeps your opponents from avoiding mines completely. Itīs not perfect but itīs all we have.

And truth to tell I donīt come up with a better one ad hoc.

Offline Enker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »

As I already explained to you the mines have a fixed deviation-range. If you do the deviation from the model itself it will NEVER be hit......

No, that is wrong. The small deviation template deviates 2'' from the model away, but the radius of it is greater than 2'', so you always hit,
if the model fails the leadership test.
I would lay a mine so that the model who activates it surely is hit, not that it have a chance to be to far from the actuall mine.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Lopis

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:54:16 AM »
Yep,

with 2 inches deviation youīre right.