Author Topic: HMG vs. Autocannon  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Bagomba

• Journeyman
HMG vs. Autocannon
« on: January 17, 2008, 06:40:34 AM »
Hi,

just want to start a discussion HMG vs. Autocannon...

In my opinion the Autocannon is to weak in relation to a HMG.... you got more shots with the HMG and hit much better in PB and SH... ok you donīt make x2 DAM and you donīt  have AV rating with the HMG but in the End I will always choice the HMG...

I think the Autocannon also need a positive modificator in PB and SH to make the AC usefull

Whats your Opinion ?

Big Chief Bagomba
They are in front of me, beside and behind me....
They canīt escape
ATTTAAACK !!!!!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: HMG vs. Autocannon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »
Hmm....

Interesting question.

To me, both have their roles in the game and for my uses, it really is dependant on the foe (and what I have in inventory)

In my Cyber Army, I almost always take a unit of Atillas... because of their toughness and that cannon.  It's nice for dropping Big Uglies and Charactrer Hunting (two saves is two saves!)

In my Cap force, I usually have on in there for much the same reasons- power versus vehicles and the anti-character hunting party.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:26:35 PM »
I second Archer's opinion. In fact I am working on a conversion so that my Brotherhood will have the Autocannon Heavy available when the Paladins take the field.

Oops - Make that Arch Primates. Their HMG Spec is listed as having the AC-45 Autocannon. I use the old style figs for both Paladins and Arch Primates and got confused.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 08:15:44 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:18:09 PM »
As with any specialized weapon/model, it is all about tactics.  Autocannons are not close-quarter weapons.  There are weapons that are designed to deliver maximum punch at short to medium range.  Used properly, they can wreak havoc to armored and multi-wound models.

HMG's, conversely, are designed to throw lots of rounds down-range in an attempt to cover an area with hot lead.  A different tactic - a different weapon. 

I do not think that the two weapons are, even, comparable.  HMG's are better compared to other HMG's, while Autocannons to other Autocannons - apples to oranges, and whatnot.  ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Lopis

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »
confirmative dmcgee1 !
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »
i also think that in general the hmg is better than the ac

with the eadicator av, i sometimes gamble on using the autocannon, but a missed shot is a missed shot..

the hmg offers some reliability, what makes it effecively better.

@attilas: itīs nice they have it, but if they could have a LMG, what would you prefer?
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »
I prefer the AC if Im going against an opponent who prefers multi-wound models and vehicles. The chance to inflict 2 wounds with one shot is invaluable especially when you consider that we play alot of games with environmental rules where jamming is highly probable with multiple ROF weapons.

IMO ACs are meant to deal with multi-wound models HMGs are meant to deal with lots of single wound models.

HMGs are better all around weapons but ACs are better for their chosen purpose which is vehicle killing.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Enker

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:25:26 AM »

I prefer the HMG. Why?

The HMG makes 14 Dam against every target.
The HMG hits 2-3 points better.

The HMG has x3 on PB but only x1 on MR, so thats a tie to the AC.

The only advantage of the AC is the aditional +3 Dam if you hit a vehicle from behind, but thats hard to achive.

So the HMG has two advantages to the AC, which counts everytime.
The AC has only one advantage which you seldom benefit from.

Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 04:36:00 AM »
word.

double damage almost counters more shots, but the +to hit is better than AV-2 or -3
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »

@attilas: itīs nice they have it, but if they could have a LMG, what would you prefer?

LMG or AC?  AC.

HMG or AC?  Coin Toss... depending on the expected foe.  Versus a Horde force, HMG for the Win.  Versus an army with lots of multi-wound models or Armor?  The AC for the possiblity of dropping one muti-wound model for one or two actions.

Most folks ignore the Atilla with the AC as there is no respect for the AC until it eats that character in one shot at medium range (where the HMG gets one shot).
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
@ Archer

My thoughts exactly!  ;)
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem