Author Topic: Para-Deploy Rules  (Read 5181 times)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Para-Deploy Rules
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:41:49 PM »
There has been some questions regarding Para-Deploy. The rules are given below for reference.

Para-deploy Rule
1. To begin, the player must select a landing zone (LZ) by placing the small explosion template on the table. The following rules govern the selection of an LZ.
-  There must be room for the template to be placed.
-  The template can be no closer than 2" from terrain taller than 1" in height.
-  There can be no visible enemy models within 6" of the template.

2. Once the LZ is selected, the first [model] is deployed. First, check for the actual landing location, then check for the status of the trooper.
-  Landing Location Check
    -  A standard deviation roll determines the actual spot the trooper lands relative to the center of the template.

If the new location is open ground, place the model there and proceed to the Status check.
If the landing position would place them on top of terrain or in water, place the model at the nearest open ground instead within 3" of the original landing location. They have lost all remaining actions and are marked Prone. If there is no open ground within 3", the model is lost and is removed from the game.
Models that land within 3" of an enemy model are considered captured or killed upon landing. Remove them from play.

Please review the rules and vote. Discussion is welcome and encouraged.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
Re: Para-Deploy Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:20:13 PM »
I like the rule just fine.  While I did not vote for tweaking this rule, I do think that Elite Squads who have paradeploy should have a different SA.  Call it, Expert Paradeploy while Grunt Squads with Paradeploy use the original.

Suggested Rules:  A model with this skill has been on more than a 100 jumps and has training for hot insertion, night jumps, water jumps, etc.

1. Just as in paradeploy, a small explosion template is place on the table as the LZ.  However the rules for this LZ are as follows:
 - The template may be on top of terrain or large buildings taller than 1" provided there is room enough for it to be placed there.  It may also be placed directly against terrain taller than 1".
 - The template may be no closer than 6" to enemy models.  If enemy models have line of site to the LZ, and can activate off wait to use ranged fire, they may do so.  Range and LOS are determined through the centerpoint of the LZ.

2. Deviation is performed the same as in Normal Paradeploy however it may never be  more than 5" from the center of the template and will always land on their feet unless the roll is a fumble.
 - If the deviation is a fumble, the model is not restricted to 5" but lands Prone at the full deviation and loses their remaining actions.  If they are within 3" of an enemy model, they are captured or killed.
 - If a perfect is rolled, the model is allowed to take a ranged shot at -3 RC before performing their remaining actions provided there is an enemy model within range and LOS.
- Otherwise, model lands ready to kill even within 1" of an enemy model.  They will never land on an enemy model since center of the LZ must be 6" away and they will never deviate more than 5" with the exception of a fumble.  They may charge the enemy per the normal charge rules.  Models that land on top of terrain or water land there.  Movement within the water halves the movement rate.

------------------------------------
I think this should add 2 points to the cost of any Elite Model who currently has paradeploy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:21:58 PM by Seamus »
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline Lopis

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
Seamus,
I think that is a great idea !

Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:51:10 PM »
I am not an advocate of re-writing the rule.  I am an advocate of tweaking it (clarifying it).

For example:  If a dropping unit can adjust its landing to avoid being eliminated to adverse landing conditions (water or terrain being the only onesmentioned), can it do so to avoid landing off-board or near an enemy model?  The rules specifically state that a model can move to the nearest open ground, as long as it is whitin 3" of its deviation-rolled LZ.

To me, there is little difference between landing off board or landing near an enemy model, and landing in water and/or terrain tallr than 1".  The model simply moves up to 3" to the nearest open ground, sacrifices any remaining actions, and is marked Prone.

To make things simple, I think that it should be clarified as to what, exactly, "terrain taller than1"" is.  Is it trees, spires, buildings, etc., even if said buildings have flat rooves?

As I see it, there is room for interpretation, even if it is not, particularly, my interpretation.  I am open to hear opposing and agreeing viewpoints.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Lopis

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »
I didnīt want to sound to voted for rewriting the rules.

For the standard rukes the clarification for not falling overboard is sufficient.
Perhaps adding that if thereīs enough room for the base you can drop on a flat terrain, lets say a flat roof or such. But as far as that the rules ar sufficient.

But I think the additional SA that Seamus suggested is very interesting and sounds good. Would have to playtest it, but as far as I see it now, I wouldnīt say that itīs overpowered.
And it fits to gameplay as I think.
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:44:14 PM »
I think Seamus' suggestion is a good one, esp. in light of what spec. forces can do these days.

D

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:50:14 AM »
I'm not keen on a re-write because I don't feel like messing with it (the law of unintended consequences) but it does seem a bit, well, not sure how to put this, the best I can come up with is overly complicated.  Of course I don't have any suggestions to make it better (yes I'm a hypocrite-that's why I say leave it as it is).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »
I voted the rule is fine as written. It's not really that complicated once you play it a few times, and actually plays quite well, from realism and gameplay standpoints.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:50:44 AM »
The rules are fine. I'am personally not a big user of Para-deploy myself though. ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »
I like the rules...takes couple of games to get it but they work well and I did use them alot...ahhh stalkers...
like dave said having them made clearer can't hurt.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:21:23 PM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »
While I like Seamus' ruleset, I think you make the paras too powerful. Basically you have made them infiltrators with no 12" rule AND can be used later in the game all for only 2pts more. You also make it easier to sick the landing and if you have an HMG that does... look out!
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
While I like Seamus' ruleset, I think you make the paras too powerful. Basically you have made them infiltrators with no 12" rule AND can be used later in the game all for only 2pts more. You also make it easier to sick the landing and if you have an HMG that does... look out!

Or a puker/gas sprayer.

The rules, while a bit clunky/fluke-y work as is.  Like Masher, I have used Paras alot (a Blitzer Army (2x blitzer, 1x Romanov Blitzer)) and have had mixed success... as it should be.  Para Operations are a hit or miss thing in most cases.  Heck, look at WW2; about 50% of the ops using Paras worked as they were supposed to over all- and most of those sollid successes were Kraut ones. (Belgium, Crete, The rescue of Mussolini)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Enker

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 08:04:21 AM »
I think the paradeploy rules should be revised.
Paradeploy now deploys about half of your squad helpless on the ground.
They are so many thinks which causes a trooper to go prone or even kills him.
IMO you can only use paradeploy on very large table with big landing zones.
Our table is 72''x48'' and it is even to small to find a good landing place.

Maybe the rules are realistic, but Airbourne Ranger in real life don't airbourne just a half mile or shorter from the enemy away.
They airbourne some miles away from the enemy to have a save landing and then march to the target.
If you transfer this to Warzone you need a 720''x480'' (no that's not a mistype) table or something like that.
If someone in real life would airbourne so close to the enemy as you have it in Warzone he would be a top elite parachuter
and those ones land save everytime and anywere.

So you have the choice:
1. Make everythings realistic, then you must play Warzone in a gym to have the place for a table.
2. IMO you have realistic paradeploy rules, but an unrealistic use of paradeployed troopers, which makes them to weak.
3. Make unrealistic paradeploy rules according to the unrealistic use you IMO have.

I would decrease the range of the deviation and give them more chance to land safe.
Seamus ideas are very good, but I would not limit this rule only to elite.
We have tried paradeploy on our field and everytime the paras got mixed up, the points you spend for them were useless.
It should not be like an Infiltration or like Paradeploy 1st edition, but IMO paradeploy is to weak
and those who contras this must be very lucky with your dice or have a table especially build for paras.

In our gaming group we were discussing if you are allowed to deploy the parachuters normaly in the DPZ with a deployment card,
because with this para rules nobody uses them anymore and thats a pitty.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:22:24 AM by Enker »
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »
In our gaming group we were discussing if you are allowed to deploy the parachuters normaly in the DPZ with a deployment card,
because with this para rules nobody uses them anymore and thats a pitty.

There is no question as to whether para-deploy units may deploy normally (not using the para-deploy rules).  They may deploy normally at the start of the game like any other unit.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!