Author Topic: Photo tips  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Photo tips
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:44:56 PM »
I am not an expert photographer at all. I have learned a few tricks for increasing the quality of mini pictures however.

1. Set your camera to macro mode if you can (quite often this will be a picture of a flower or something)

2. Lights. The more light the better (in general). Having lamps from several directions is better and reduces shadows. A white or light background is also good.

3. Keep your camera still.
For close shots of minis the camera is going to have long shutter times and any movement will blur the picture. I use a small tripod (got mine at a home electronics store for less than $10, you Americans can probably pick one up at Radioshack or something). I aim the camera and zoom and set the timer on my camera that way I can push the button and the camera will be completely still.

4. Photoshop is your friend.
Use a photo editing programme to crop and resize the pics. There are often functions to correct colour and brightness (I use the autocorrect function for Colour, Brightness and Contrast).

Offline fflamingmoe

Re: Photo tips
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:13 PM »
Well i guess its a shame i dont have those things with my camera .
You earthlings will be mine hahahahaha

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:38:33 AM »
Try putting the camera on the table or a book or something to keep it still.

A free photo editor is GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ . I haven't tried it myself but a lot of people on miniatures related forums recommend it.

Offline fflamingmoe

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:40:25 AM »
I fixed this and you can check out my work bench if you want to?
You earthlings will be mine hahahahaha

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
Here is a link on how to build your own 'light box' or 'light tent' for taking professional looking pictures, these items when bought cost in excess of USD$100:

Light Tent

This guy shows the same method but it is presented in much more detail and a fancy user interface with sound.  If you are not getting the hang of it from the first listing, go to this one, it will help you understand how better to make this item. 

Light Tent
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:48:34 AM by Seamus »
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)