Author Topic: Capitol troops for jungle fight?  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Enker

Capitol troops for jungle fight?
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:24:30 AM »
Hi folks,

Let's say vou have a jungle scenario with only 6'' or 3'' LOS (or another enviroment with only this short LOS).

Which Capitol troops would you field?
I think Capitol has the problem, that its forces always have many assault rifles.
And assault rifles are by far not the best weapon if you have short LOS.
Especially for the grunt squads you have only the K9 without AR, but they are not really good in CC and relativ expensive.

I have only once played such a scenario and had no chance against Mishima.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline brynolf

Re: Capitol troops for jungle fight?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:11:49 AM »
Hrm, Desert infantry could work fairly well with their SMGs. Stupid as it may sound... desert infantry in the jungle... I'm talking 2nd edition now, btw. Don't know if the DI are available in UWZ.

Otherwise, Sunset strikers will work well in the jungle.

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »
Hi folks,

Let's say vou have a jungle scenario with only 6'' or 3'' LOS (or another enviroment with only this short LOS).

Which Capitol troops would you field?

Well, Capitol, like Bahaus is primarily a shooty force.  However there are many elements in that force whose best range is SR or PB.  There are also a few good CC troops and for me, I would definitely field Navy.  Sea Lions, Free Marines & Admiral Colbys Guard all have good CC skills through the Free Marines have the best.  I would have a couple of dog teams, some Light Infantry with LMGs and Heavy Infantry with HMGs for my grunts.  For support I would have the Orca Mk IV (The Flamethrower).
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:51:58 AM »
I agree with Seamus...  Cap Navy is the better of the two pieces of Capitol.  However, Ground does alright.

Scorpions (smgs), Rangers (LMG's, grenadier and Pistols), Strikers...  They can do the job well enough.

In the environment you mention, all three elite choices work.  For the Grunt feeder units, LI and dogs are the best.  If you want a fodder squad, Freedom Brigade with up to 3 lmgs is nice too but they die quick.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:08:52 AM »
Dont forget Capital's Sniper Rifle is +3 at short range. :o
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »
Sunset Strikers are nasty at short range with the LMG spec and/or the Flamethrower spec. Fast great CC good armor and really good leadership for coming off of wait to counter charge. Send some light inf with them with the squad comm link and have then spread out to cover area quickly. Thats just my .02
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:17:34 AM »
Terrain is only one factor I would take into account when selecting troops. Do you know what the objective and role of the troops is to be? I might pick different troops if attacking than defending. That being said, if that information is unknown I would go with some or all of the following -

Grunt Options
Hvy Infantry - Reduced visibility games usually are won/lost coming off wait. Hvy Infantry have an SA that affects their wait - Fast Shot 1.
Freedom Brigades -  RC is 7 instead of 8 but have a better Fast Shot than Hvy Infantry - Fast Shot 2
K-9 Units - Predator Senses adds to spot checks and Group Assault is always nice.

Elite Choices
Admiral Colby's Guard - Same cost/skills as Sea Lions but better Survival Training (4 instead of 2) More for the same cost is good
Free Marines - Reduced visibility games usually are won/lost coming off wait. Ambush allows 2 actions held and no LD test.
Desert Scorpions - Camouflage 2 subtracts 2 from opponent's RC and from LD when making spot check.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
  If you want a fodder squad, Freedom Brigade with up to 3 lmgs is nice too but they die quick.
  Yeah, I consider the Freedom Brigade as extra wounds for the orca.  Put them in the lead with the Orca Flame following an inch or two behind and a gap wide enough for the flame. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 01:05:29 PM by Seamus »
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)