Author Topic: Panic?  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
Panic?
« on: December 14, 2005, 05:32:56 AM »
Ok, I have one question for Panic...can you roll for panic only with Warbands? Or are Individuals, that aren't Immune to Panic or steadfast, supposed to roll for Panic after loosing half their wounds? Example: SOK Chariot, Goblin Chariot, Goblin Ripper Individuals, Fire Thorwer Team, Vulture Marksmen and so on and on...

The rules allways mention "units" but as in other paragraphs unit isn't always equal to warband...

just my two cents,

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
Re: Panic?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 06:10:36 AM »
Panic due to Wounds does not affect Individuals, only Warbands, as per page 76. Even if a Warband uses an Individual's LD to test on, and fails, the Individual does not Panic (page 77.)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 06:15:59 AM by Southpaw »
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 06:16:05 AM »
but why are there Individuals with SAs like Steadfast, Immune to fear and so on...if they would never be affected by Panic, why shouldn't it be stated somewhere?
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 06:26:24 AM »
Panic, and Fear are entirely different. Models Immune to Panic are not necessarily Immune to Fear, though Steadfast models are immune to both.

The rules for Panic only mention Warbands, and casualties sustained, they don't mention anything about Individuals and Wound losses.

It could also be a point cost issue. I'm only speculating, but it could be a point balancing problem that arose when crunching the new numbers.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 06:42:18 AM »
I'm still not convinced... I would never ever stumbled over this, but in my current PBEM there has been this question/situation...

I see I wrote my last comment a bit wrong...why are there Individuals that are not immune to panic? Or why aren't all Individuals only immune to fear when they can't panic?...most of them are steadfast...so some of them being not steadfast means they aren't immune to fear or panic...but when an Individual is not immune to panic...rules for panic should apply...am I right? am I wrong?

I hope I got my chain of reasoning this time clear... ;)

Yes, I know it would be a very funny situation when an army leader gets hurt and he runs screaming off the field...but you know...**** happens... ;D

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 07:13:16 AM »
Your chain of reasoning is very clear, and I do understand why you feel the way you do.

But, and again this is only my assesment of how the rules are written.

The rule states that a Panic check must be made when "...a unit is reduced to 50% strength or below, or takes an additional casualty after already being at half-strength or below".

This would, to me, clearly indicate that the "Unit" in question, is a Warband. Yes sometimes the word "Unit" is used interchangably, and at times such as these, that mixed use does cause a problem, but the wording of the rule here is the key. Terms such as "Half-strength" and "casualty" are clearly Warband-specific.

However it is important to note that the rules for Panic, as they are currently written, do *not* exclude an Individual from becoming panicked by other means, most specifically there are several spells which cause a Panic test.

Now this is an entirely different can of worms.

Let's take the Stygian spell "Torrent of Blood" for example. The way it is worded, the affected unit "must pass a LD test or obey the rules for Panicked models".

This was worded the way it was for a reason, and one that I believe supports the rules for Individuals and Panic.

So, in that case, an Individual that is not Steadfast or Immune to Panic, would panic in that situation.

Again, this is only my interpretation of what I think the rules are meant to be.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 08:08:53 AM »
We had this discussion in UWZ and it was determinted that Individuals are units as well and test for Panic when they reach half their wounds.

but that's UWZ

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 08:21:49 AM »
Yes that's true, but this has not been altered in Chronopia that I am aware. I'll look into it further.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Wedge

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 01:57:42 PM »
It is my understanding that the "half-strength" wording also applies to individuals.  This discussion came up a long time ago on the previous forum.  If you look through the armies in the book about 95% of the individuals have steadfast as a skill.  But, there are some inviduals that do not.  Those that do not are susceptible to panic when they reach 50% of their wounds or less.  For example, in our recent PBEM game, a Shadow Tribe warband of Unliving delivered two wounds to a Goddess Tribe Scythed Chariot.  Checking the rules, the Chariot is NOT immune to panic or steadfast.  So a LD roll was tested and subsequently passed.  Had the Chariot failed it would have panicked.

This interpretation of the rules on panic and individuals was solidified over a year ago and in Southpaw's defense he may not have been privy to this information.  The idea was that the Chronopia and UWZ rules on this topic should be the same to ease confusion.  Has there been a reversal of this ruling since then?  Not to my knowledge.  I personally play it the way I have described above.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 02:55:29 PM »
I was the one who wounded the Chariot and made the roll. :)

Normally it's something you do not think of since so many indivduals are Steadfast have Indomitable Will.. I was surprised to see that the Chariot didn't.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 05:45:30 PM »
Sounds great, Wedge. Keeping the two systems mechanics as similar as possible is ideal. Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 05:47:46 PM by Southpaw »
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Wolfshade

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 07:23:36 PM »
  We've been playing that individuals that are not immune to panic make the panic check at  half thier wounds and it's worked out fine.....well....I hads a War Torkah panic off the board.....but this is what happens when you roll 3 20's in a row ;D
Elf, It's good with A-1 too!!!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 11:05:08 PM »
  We've been playing that individuals that are not immune to panic make the panic check at  half thier wounds and it's worked out fine.....well....I hads a War Torkah panic off the board.....but this is what happens when you roll 3 20's in a row ;D

Ouch...

You have apparently acquired the same d20 that I pitched out a window on one particular occasion....my deepest symptathies.  ;D
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin