Author Topic: The miniatures themselves - resculpts???  (Read 21259 times)

Gregzilla

The miniatures themselves - resculpts???
« on: December 08, 2005, 09:11:21 AM »
Hello,

I just found out that Warzone is being made again (as UWZ) and I did some research and found this site (it's not easy to find ya know - no search engine presence at all). But anyway, I played 1st edition way back when and the Warzone rules are right up there as one of my favorite rule-sets ever, so I'm kind of excited to see it coming back to life.

A question I have though is about the figures. Are you guys planning on resculpting any of them? While there are a few that are really cool (Capitol Free Marines, DL Razide, Imperial Trenchers to name a few), there are also many figures that, IMHO, just aren't up to the standards of the figures being produced today by other companies such as Privateer Press or Rackham, or even <whisper>Games Workshop</whisper>.

I'm thinking that for this game to really be able to make a come-back, it's going to need some really awsome sculpts to get people to notice.

Greg

Offline Anubis31

• Administrator
  • Exclesior Staff/Design
    • Excelsior Entertainment
Re: The miniatures themselves - resculpts???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 09:34:32 AM »
Greg, We were not aware of the search difficulties, we are fixing that now. We do have a good amount of new releases for warzone as well as the soon to be released survialer and Inheritors Cavalery.

If you have any questions please dont hesitate to email me

jon@excelsiorentertainment.com

Jon

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:54:50 PM »
the current sculpts, of which only a few are truely unbearable, are going to be around for a while as the they've all been incorporated into the new forcelists.  This not only keeps from locking out players with older stock like some companies do, but it also expands options and character for force building.

the real stinkers, (both the old Great Grey, the Purple Shark and the Ilian hellfire cart) are pretty much gone.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:01:23 PM »
Although I do want to get a few old Great Greys, and turn them into an amusment park ride.

:)

WHEEEE!!!
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 06:30:07 PM »
Sharkman Flying Toliet Seat Adventure!

I do like the orignal idea behind the Purple Sharks.  Effectively they were a hybrid of a guided missle and a bobsled....

..piloted by jamacians.

those aren't tiger stripes!  they're stylized DredLocks!

-PFC joe

Offline Anubis31

• Administrator
  • Exclesior Staff/Design
    • Excelsior Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:33:23 PM »
So which mini represents the late great john candy? 

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:33:41 PM »
That would explain the "Ganga" bombs.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 01:00:05 PM »
I think the Necromower and the Rams Air Cav are two of the most disappointing sculpts still in use. It's a real shame too...because both are so incredibly cool in the artwork and in concept. On the Ram's it's just the pilot that really needs redone. On the Necromower....well, I'd start from scratch on that one. I love the artwork and the unit...but just can't stand the "Bannana Split Buggies"
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 11:23:40 PM »
Not a big fan of the Hatamoto either, but I figure they would make great statues if nothing else.  From the looks of things (conceptual sketches at one point) there are on the block to get redone.

For the Rams air cav-I think a simple head swap would cure most of the problem.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 12:53:03 AM »
I liked watching The Bannana Splits back in the day so the Necromower doesn't bother me too much but I gotta agree that the "Squatting Dog Rocket Ranger" needs a body transplant.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 02:07:24 AM »
I agree that the Necromower would look incredibly cool if it looked more like the Mad Max style artwork.

The Venusian Rangers are another unit that could use a face lift to get them up to par sculpting and sizewise with the rest of Bauhaus. Since they are also on of the signature units of Warzone they should in my opinion be high on the list of resculpts.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 08:54:20 PM »
On the other hand you don't want to bag on the figs too badly: I know I can't sculpt that well for one thing and especially at the time Heartbreaker was a young company, had gotten burned over the failure of Leviathan, and needed all the sculptors it could get.
The fact that they are still considered useable, well there are a lot of other game companies that would not stand for that (well okay maybe one).

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 08:00:14 AM »
Well, for the time they were made, they look pretty good.  Unfourtunatly, time has not been kind to many of them. (Rams Air Cav)  The Necromower doesn't look TOO bad, as long as you kit bash it a bit, with maybe a roll-cage and a visible stearing mechanism.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 01:31:38 PM »
Honestly, the only mini in the entire line that I refused to touch was the old Brotherhood Elite Trooper Squad Leader.  That gigantic head and complete disregard for preportions turned me off entirely.  As he's been dropped from the line I don't have to worry much.

Other than that, a little putty and a couple minutes tryin not to cut off a finger and the models look pretty darn awesome.  (i've totally filed down the shoulder pads on my Desert Scorpions)

-PFC joe

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 03:00:19 PM »
My only problem with Deser Scorpions is that half of them come with the Punisher sword...

but it's ok, since Free Marines come with Punisher Swords, and don't need them. :)