Author Topic: Stripping Miniatures  (Read 6999 times)

Offline Glenn M

Stripping Miniatures
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:00:51 PM »
I am wondering, what stripping techniques have you all found most effective for Chronopia models.

I have a few figures that have just a coat of primer to remove, and then a bunch that have multiple coats of varnish and paint which all needs to go.

Thanks,
Glenn

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: Stripping Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »
i used terpentine-replacement with good success.

break fluid is only for plastic figs, it works much worse (exept the non-destroy plastic bonus which you donīt need)
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline semai99

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »
This has been discussed in the Warzone section

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=4706.0

hope this helps  ::)
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:12:58 PM »
Well, I had tried Pinesol before, so I am trying it again, I also heard that Easy Off works wonders very quickly, so I nabbed a can of that to.  We didn't have any Simply Green.

Offline Moe

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »
acetone and a toothbrush. use in a well ventilated area.
ebay name- meislee

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:18:38 AM »
I would note that earlier I espoused non-acetone nail polish remover; it works really well on pewter and plastic.

Apparently it does not work well on resin-it turns it into a spongy texture when left in over night.  My Praetorian Behemoth that was going to be a Contagon Colossus is now decayed for real :(.  I will still use it for figs though since it strips the paint right off.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »
I almost always use PineSol....but it's problematic around my house as the wife HATES the smell. Still, it strips metal fairly quickly and only harms the plastic if left in the solution for a prolonged time.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline pekulior

• Journeyman
    • Brand X Painting
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »
I have recently found that using Castrol Super Clean Cleaner/Degreaser works wonders on minis. It can be used on plastic and metal without harm to either. It pretty much dissolves the paint down to the bare miniature. However, make sure you wear gloves as it will strip the first couple layers of your skin too....doesn't hurt it's just annoying.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:29:09 PM »
Hey Alpha, might I suggest trying the Wild Berry/Flower (Pink crap) scented.  The odor is much less noticeable than the regular.  My wife is perfectly happy with it.