Author Topic: New vehicles not included in the main UWZ book?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Gravel

New vehicles not included in the main UWZ book?
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »

Were there any plans to add new vehicles for the different corporations?  Such as helicopter gunships for Capitol before Excelsior lost the liscense?

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: New vehicles not included in the main UWZ book?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:41:18 PM »
Yes there was...

One was supposed to be based on the FAV of Delta Force/SOCCOM fame.  I recall being in discussion with the Bossman over its stats and avaialbility.  THere had bee talk of making it a Capitol piece but I had him sold on making it a Merc toy...  It was still in the work-up phase prior to my being deployed in 2k5.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Gravel

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 03:19:33 PM »

Interesting.  Was there a reason why no one (except for Bahaus) has any Main Battle Tanks?  Is armored warfare pretty much extinct in the world of Mutant Chronicles?

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 03:33:28 PM »
Read these before we continue this discussion  ;D

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=498.0

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=35.0

As you can see, this has been discussed in some  detail previously. I hope this helps.

Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Gravel

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »

Well those discussions were mostly to do with the gameplay itself.  But fluffwise, is there any reason why tanks are hardly seen on battlefields?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 04:34:39 PM »
Gravel, for your information and fair warning, this is a really sensitive issue.  This has been discussed ad nauseum, and the only answer that I can give to you is this:  the game is a squad-level representation of small-scale meeting engagements.  It is not an "armored column moves across the fields to take a town or ambush another armored column" type of game.  It is 28mm on terrain-heavy boards measuring 4' x 4' (in most cases).  The game was never designed to be a large-scale war.  The majority of the people that play this game like it that way.  There are more than enough vehicles, imho, and those vehicles have their uses.  MBT's and their ilk just have no place in this incarnation of the game.

Fluff-wise, they (the big armored units, super-trains, air transports, close-air support, etc.) exist.  However, they are just that - fluff.  Yes, several models were produced.  Much the same way that I collect matchbox-sized '69 Superbirds and Daytona Chargers, I would collect those models that were produced, even if I never played with them.

Apparently, rules existed for some, if not all, of these vehicles.  However, UWZ does not have rules for them, and probably won't have any official rules produced for them in the foreseeable future.

That said, I would not attempt to sway you from your opinions nor from any ambitions you have reagarding making rules and models to be used.  All I am saying is that it has been tried, and has not seen much community-based support.

I hope that I have come across as informative and diplomatic, rather than as someone who is trying to talk you out of discussing this further.  By all means, please, discuss it.  Just know that you may encounter resistance, and why you might encounter it.

Well those discussions were mostly to do with the gameplay itself.  But fluffwise, is there any reason why tanks are hardly seen on battlefields?

According to the fluff, there is plenty of armored, air and other types of vehicles in the UWZ Universe.  Read up on Capitol's Martian super-trains.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:38:49 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 11:14:41 PM »
well, WZ motivates to implement such stuff, because of the 3 A system.

it seems to simulate a world where everything can work..

when you read the rules from the paper-expansions, you get the impression of the guys really moving and opening/closing doors..

to implement a tank seems almost logical.

the problem is, that a tank, by itīs very nature, is very strong..
how to ballance it? a 6 man unit grunts inc. spec costs ~130 P
is it 360 P then (~2 times the big vehicles, 3 times the grunts) ??

and what can it do, esp. if supported by a lot of guns? does it have a template with DAM14?

if it can shoot this template 3 grunt units with HMG would be hard pressed to arrive..

(or can it shoot only 1 / turn?)
also, a tank surely does have a secondary, crewed HMG, does it?

==> all in all it is not easyly ballanced..

i want to use them in a scenario, sometimes.
just give them any rules that seem right and assain a force against them..

cuīs
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Jase

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 04:55:43 AM »
 I like Warzone now as is, firefights between the common soldier. Sure there are battle walkers and APCs, but if I wanted tanks. artillery, planes, I'd play 15 mm modern.

Jase

"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 11:05:14 PM »
as was mentioned, tanks r very common in the fluff. the mutant chronicles rpg books lists a lot of vehicles which pcs could face or hijack/use.
one of my faves was the cybertronic skywitch, which was basically a very light one-man or independent helicopter with an hmg and rockets, partially controlled by a cuirassier brain. definitely seemed like a rip-off of the terminator hunterkillers.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis