Author Topic: Any special rules for Urban combat?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Gravel

Any special rules for Urban combat?
« on: November 18, 2007, 10:17:35 PM »

Still have not finished reading the UWZ rulebook but there does not seem to be any rules for Urban combat.  Have there been any rules for urban combat official or otherwise?

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: Any special rules for Urban combat?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:10:47 AM »
what is urban combat?

in buildings UWZ works just like outside.. LOS and range.
walls block templates, also. 1 action to open a door, etc..
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
We (the right-coasters) have created an evironmental rules for urban conflict; haze.

The gist of it is:
-1 per range band beyond SR.  Therefore, a model shooting into MR suffers a -1 RC, LR a -2 RC and ER a -3!  It makes for an interesting addition, and makes sniping a bit harder.

As for other "urban" rules, there is Rough ground, imparting a penalty of half movment when trying to navigate through rubble.  Further, there is the variable RC modifier of trying to fire through windows, long alleyways, and over the park bench.  Urban rules are subject to any other rules (Arctic, Jungle, night, etc.) that you wish to add to the game.

For the most part, we never have level 0, plain environments.  Environments are flavor-enhancers, as well as equalizers (Vulkans having to clear jams every other shot in the desrt).
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline brynolf

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:38 PM »
I haven't read UWZ too thoroughly yet, but at least there are some rules for buildings in 2nd edition that might be a bit so-so, but much of it is usable.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 04:20:48 PM »
There are rules for buildings and for the stuff they're made from.  I have seen them used to cool effect, with a Behemoth destroying a wall to get at the soft chewy insides that were the enemy!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Gravel

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
There are rules for buildings and for the stuff they're made from.  I have seen them used to cool effect, with a Behemoth destroying a wall to get at the soft chewy insides that were the enemy!

And those rules are already in the current UWZ book?

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 07:37:41 PM »
I believe so but my book is 50 miles away in the Game Sanctum so I have to call for my fellow forumites to give chapter and verse (page #)  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »
Yup-

Those rules are in the book- at least for busting walls and such (as in the example dave gives).
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 02:35:44 PM »
Quote from: Gravel link=topic=4365.msg28122#msg28122 date=
Quote from: dmcgee1 link=topic=4365.msg28116#msg28116 date=

And those rules are already in the current UWZ book?

Yes, Pp. 95-97