Author Topic: Anyone else thinks Capitol Light Infantry 'hats' look dumb?  (Read 22531 times)

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
Re: Anyone else thinks Capitol Light Infantry 'hats' look dumb?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 05:17:47 AM »
I would use those models for Cartel Security Police or Bauhaus Strike Commando's.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 11:56:22 AM »
i also like the hats!

in fact, i like them so much, i use LI as HI (and a ranger sniper as a HI sniper..)

however, i do not understand to disallow older sculpts, just because newer are out..

edit: i said this because of this statement
when we ran organized evetns I would not have allowed them to be used as the [new] figs were readily available.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:24:11 PM by NoTrollNick »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 12:15:09 PM »
This is'nt GW you can use the older models if you choose to and you can proxy if you cant find what your looking for.  ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 02:36:02 PM »
Quote from: Gravel link=topic=4328.msg27707#msg27707 date=

Would these make good Cap Light Infantry? http://www.urbanmammoth.co.uk/acatalog/info_34105.html

They would make awesome Bauhaus Strike Kommandos!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Gravel

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 03:30:37 PM »
Not after I equip them with M50s and paint red, white, and blue insignias!  ;D

Also, just because they've got gasmasks on does not necessarily make them Bauhaus!  Light Infantry troopers seem to be the only Capitol units that wear gasmasks and hats.  So I just think these Viridians with their caps and masks would make a much cooler looking alternative.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:50:06 PM by Gravel »

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 08:33:03 PM »
NoTrollNick -

I guess I was unclear - I was referring to the GW figs mentioned in the earlier original post.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »

Also, just because they've got gasmasks on does not necessarily make them Bauhaus! 

IMHO it's the shoulder pads that make them look Bauhaus.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Gravel

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »

On a slightly off topic note, is it possible to convert Capitol Heavy Infantry into Airborne Rangers since they seem to have the same equipment?

You could use the old Hvy Infantry (football helmet troops) or use Cadian heads or even Cadian bodies with Elysian Drop Troop heads.

You think Elysian heads will work for Airborne Rangers?  How about Elysian heads and bodies altogether?  As I said, I have way too many Elysians right now and they do have cool poses.  Also, what were Excelsior thinking when making their Airborne Ranger figures?  These guys look like steriod pumped NFL players!  C'mon, everyone's got to agree on that one!  I imagine airborne troopers as being light and mobile, not necessarily body building competitors.

Offline Seamus

• Branch Incentives
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 04:45:17 PM »
I love the hats and think they are perfect as is.  I think changing them is tinkering with a good thing.  Some of Kevin White's best sculpting.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:30:41 AM by Seamus »
Seamus Muadhen
eBay: branchenterprisesinternational
email: dkidd23 AT yahoo DOT com

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.
General Douglas MacArthur
US WWII general & war hero (1880 - 1964)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 06:10:14 PM »
...Also, what were Excelsior thinking when making their Airborne Ranger figures?  These guys look like steriod pumped NFL players!  C'mon, everyone's got to agree on that one!  I imagine airborne troopers as being light and mobile, not necessarily body building competitors.

Look at the entire line, Gravel.  They've all drank from the Arnification elixir.  Look at the art for the game, sometime.  Not a single model has any elfin qualities.  If anything, it appears dwarf DNA mixed into the pool, and now everyone shaves three times a day, or more.

It's the game and the art.  Either you like the figs, or you don't.  We get it.  Most of us like 'em, and respect others' opinions, no matter how wrong they are.  ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Gravel

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 06:23:33 PM »
The Airborne Rangers are just too 'extreme' looking compared to the others IMO.  Other figures like the Martian Banshees, the Rangers, and the Heavy Infantries have pretty decent proportion and look cool.  I have nothing against the artwork at all, I like this style of sci-fi fantasy and I think the artwork in the Rulebooks are better than what you'd find in a typical WH40K codex.

Also, the hats are slowly growing on me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:27:38 PM by Gravel »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 07:43:23 PM »
QUICK! Someone get'im a picture of Smokey the Bear!

Here ya go!

Offline Gravel

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 08:07:44 PM »

Huh?

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »
When the scupts first came out, many moons and first edition ago, they were going for an NFL theme-the idea was to tie Capitol with American Sports (which is why the heavy infantry figs had football helmets).  At the time I hated the Airborne Ranger helmets.  Looking at them now, the fit in well with the asthetic that came with the 2nd ed sculpts and I have come to not mind them as much.  As for being light wight-take a good look at your average US Army tab-wearing, plane jumping Ranger* and you will see that this isn't much of an exaggeration; those boys are beefy.  The parachute drops you about the same speed no matter what you weigh (within limits).

As for a certain bear, Stephen Colbert said it best; "Just think of the person he had to maul to get that hat"

*As a Marine, it hurts me to say this, but it's for the good of the forum.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 12:00:04 AM »
They've all drank from the Arnification elixir. 

;D ;D

+1

even though, not entirely true in case of the new line.. EM, H/LI, BZ,... are "realistic" with moderate pads
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."