Author Topic: Anyone else thinks Capitol Light Infantry 'hats' look dumb?  (Read 22779 times)

Offline Gravel

Anyone else thinks Capitol Light Infantry 'hats' look dumb?
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:04:45 AM »

Have you ever thought of or are thinking of converting Captitol Light Infantry troopers to...well LOOK better?  I just find the whole idea of wearing drill sergeant hats dumb!  I have a few WH40K Stormtroopers lying around and I think they'd make perfect Cap Light troopers if I replaced their Hellguns.

Does anyone else have any ideas for Capitol Light Troop conversions?

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Anyone else thinks Capitol Light Infantry 'hats' look dumb?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »
Actually the Light Infantry are based on WWI Doughboy look IIRC. I don't see anything wrong with them and I have seen at least one humorous take on them - a Royal Canadian Mounted Police paint scheme. That being said - I guess what you use in your games is your business. If they bother you that much, there are also the old sculpts available. The old version had baseball caps. when we ran organized evetns I would not have allowed them to be used as the figs were readily available. Since Excelsior doe not support organized events I guess any objections would be the purview of the event coordinator at whatever venue you were playing at.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:16:33 PM »
I, personally, love the DI/Mounties/State Trooper hats.  I think that they add a flavor to the troops that is unmatched in other games.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Gravel

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:23:06 PM »

On a slightly off topic note, is it possible to convert Capitol Heavy Infantry into Airborne Rangers since they seem to have the same equipment?

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 05:45:54 PM »

On a slightly off topic note, is it possible to convert Capitol Heavy Infantry into Airborne Rangers since they seem to have the same equipment?

I don't see why not though I would suggest adding bits to change their look.

A suggestion is some of the 40k plastic bits (grenades/pouches/etc) in thier various Imperial sets.  If you are fairly good with the snips, pop a few helmeted heads and replace with no-helmet ones (Hasslefree makes some loose or go with the GW Plasics) and sculpt a beret or two on them.

Be a nice custom squad... as the current ones don't look right to me either.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:13:27 PM »

You could use the old Hvy Infantry (football helmet troops) or use Cadian heads or even Cadian bodies with Elysian Drop Troop heads.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Gravel

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »

I actually have too many Elysian Troop models.  Think I could mod those (with body parts intact) into something for Capitol?  Also, for the converted heavy infantry, will the Airborne ranger heads fit on heavy infantry bodies?

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 09:58:20 PM »
Do up some shoulder pads and I think you would be there.

I will say that going off of the original scheme with the original Heavy Infantry having the turtle armor, the current heavy infantry is closer to what IMHO light infantry should have looked like.  Although I like the old Campaign Covers (like what Drill Instructors/Sgts wear), they are not combat headgear; I it a little silly that these guys have huge shoulder pads and chest and knee pads and gas masks but the most sensitive part of their body has a felt hat.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Gravel

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 10:24:47 PM »

Okay I have an idea!  Get M-50 rifles from this Infantry Captain figure http://www.princeaugust.ie/target_games/tg1211.html and put them on 40k Cadians.  Airborne Rangers all the way!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 06:25:31 AM »
Not bad...

If you go to some really large model shops, you might be able to find 1/48 to 1/54 scale rifles.  Those work too.

Alternately, you can get your hands on a few of tehm and try resincasting them.  *shrug*
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »
I like the LI with the hats.

Converting HI into Airbornes sounds like a good idea.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 02:33:48 PM »
I like the Light Inf. models. ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Gravel

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »

Would these make good Cap Light Infantry? http://www.urbanmammoth.co.uk/acatalog/info_34105.html

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 10:01:02 PM »
Urban Mammoth with their old Void lines make some really great stuff to use for proxies, but the purists would point out that LI is readily available and if you wanted to you could just cut off the hats and put helmets on the figures.  Of course what you play in the privacy of your own game board is your own business.  I would almost argue that these guys would make better Bauhausers due to their rounded shoulder pads, or Cartel special forces.  Check out the Void Viridian forces as well; they have some great figs.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Gravel

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »

Are there any pictures of the old Capitol Light Infantry with the caps?