Author Topic: New here. Just discovered UWZ and I have a few questions.  (Read 14304 times)

Offline Gravel

New here. Just discovered UWZ and I have a few questions.
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:57:32 PM »

What exactly is the status of Excelsior Entertainment?  I thought they were dead.  Do they still have the rights to publish Warzone related material and will they every do so again?  Where can I buy a copy of the UWZ rulebook?

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Re: New here. Just discovered UWZ and I have a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:07:50 AM »
Excelsior Entertainment lost the IP rights to Mutant Chronicles, and is no longer producing UWZ game stuff.

Rulebooks pop up on E-Bay periodically. 

Keep an eye on the area of the forums titled Uncle Thoms Trading Post.  Quite a few folks, including myself, have a fair amount of figures to trade. 

The game is not totally dead, as a lot of people are playing, still.   

Hope that helps!

MadBrad
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »
MadBrad speaks truth - Excelsior is no longer producing Warzone/Chronopia. (Karma to you sir) However Excelsior is not dead merely sleeping and I for eagerly await the day I can say "The sleeper has awakened" Books pop up from time to time and figs are abvailable. Several guys maintain trade lists and I have over a thousand figs to catalog and list in my ebay store. I'm working on it - still  ::)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Gravel

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
So is there any chance that Excelsior will get the rights back and publish UWZ again?

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:38:24 AM »
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline Gravel

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:28:53 AM »

Any chance of someone else picking up UWZ?  I know Fantasy Flight is making their own Mutant Chronicles miniatures game but that's not Warzone right?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 09:43:28 AM »
Fantasy Flight Games is going to do a collectible, plastic, miniatures game, based on the Mutant Chronicles movie, supposedly coming out in '08. 

Excelsior no longer has the license to market a 28mm, metal models line for the MC: Warzone universe, or Chronopia. 

This forum however, is for fans of the Chronopia and Ultimate Warzone games that were put out by Excelsior.  We organize events, track down models and find proxies, compare house rules, and have a blast doing it. 

Feel free to post, ask questions, find a game, enjoy.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Gravel

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 09:52:15 AM »

Were there ever supplements for UWZ?  Or was the main rulebook the only thing that was able to be published?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
I'm more of a Chronopia guy, so I should defer to some other members who are hardcore UWZ players.  Feel free to start a thread in the Warzone section with any questions relating to ALL incarnations of the game, including Siege of the Citadel, and even the RPG based off this stuff.  Some of the guys around here have played every version of the game out there, and would be able to answer your question better than I.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:41:39 AM »

Were there ever supplements for UWZ?  Or was the main rulebook the only thing that was able to be published?

Main rulebook was the only published work for UWZ. Expansions were planned, but the owners of the IP withdrew the license.

Honestly, the core rulebook has pretty much everything you would ever need to play.  You can look over the UWZ FAQ's for rules clarifications, and rules for night fighting.  Otherwise, the core rules have it all. 

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 12:10:21 PM »
And there's your answer!!  I knew a knowledgeable Warzone fanatic would chime in.  Cheers, MadBrad!!

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 10:28:26 PM »
Hey JS,

Early in the afternoon, I start getting restless at work, and answering quetions is a bit of a diversion.

Gravel,

Ask any questions you want, and I - or someone else- will certainly get you an answer.   

Have you decided on the armies you want to put together?  I'm assuming Capitol, from you comments in another thread.   Anyone else piquing your interest?   

Offline Gravel

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »

Yeah, I ordered some Capitol units and using the UWZ PDF from mutantpedia.  I have a fellow 40k player friend who seems interested in Bauhaus.

One other question, Fantasy Flight does not own the rights to the 28mm Warzone game/rules right?  So they had to come up with their own miniatures game under the name of MC and made it 54mm.  Is anyone interested in picking up the rights to 28mm Warzone?  Is anyone trying to get rights to it or are the fans the only thing right now keeping it alive?

Any chances Warzone could come back in a way that Battletech came back as Classic Battletech?

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 11:41:14 AM »
There are several of us who faithfully buy lottery tickets in hopes of winnning and buying the rights from Paradox but no one in the industry, to my knowledge, is anxious to have Paradox give them the "new guy in prison" treatment" that they gave Excelsior. Unfortunately money makes the world go round and my world is standing still at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:43:36 AM by Topkick »

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 08:53:42 AM »
I would be one of those faithful looking to score the lottery.  If you go looking around, I imagine the roadmap to a smart return I authored is still floating around-  I'll see if I can find it.

**edit: Found it and here it is in all its glory.**

What I would do:

1 )   Purchase the property in its entirety from Paradox
2 )   Get a handful of learned players (I have a short list already in mind) to hash out the broken bits in the rules and revamp the badly written sections into a clearer format.  Hire proof-readers (not volunteers) and LISTEN TO THEM.
3 )   While that goes on, contact all the former sculptor of UWZ and Chrono figs and attempt to bring them back into the fold.  Explain the planned process and the timeline for releases.  Explain that this is an honest attempt to bring a very good game back with very awesome figs… and the desire to have their wares re-grace the game.  Explain and offer a signed statement for payment upon accepted submission for figs.
4 )   Send list of desperately needed re-sculpts/never made figs to the collected e-mail of sculptors and ask that they pick one to work on.  Request a progress report every two weeks or less.
5 )   Purchase an ad in the various trade mags.  It would show the menagerie of symbols for the corps with the Hood and Cartel symbols in the middle.  The words…  “Against the Darkness, we shall stand together”.  A counter Ad for the DL would show the different apostles symbology and the words “In Light, There must be darkness…” or some such..  At the bottom, a date that is no more than 120 days away.  This is done when the rulebook has been adjusted and the entries to the different troop types have been gone over again and fixed.  (several glaring errors in there)
6 )   Get factory up and running, with new equipment and at least a dedicated caster and stockist.  Get all molds set up by faction and leave space for spares and new sku’s.  Produce enough to fill bins with figs for packing.
7 )   Get proofed copy of UWZ 3.5 to printers and expedite.
8 )   Release some of the contents in teasers to game magazines and on website
9 )   New adds in game magazines for 30 days out.  Have story blurb about an ambushed patrol fighting for its life against Legionaires
10 )    As soon as new book is released, immediately begin working on supplemental books/units.  Solicit sculpts for specific unit types to be added (Horseman Bandits for Mars, new Merc units that current figs don’t cover, etc) (yes, these are done already... :) )
11 )     Build a dedicated game facility attached to factory for both minis and rpg games.  Periodically demonstrate new stuff or let the players take the new units for a test drive.
12 )    Most of all… be responsive.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 09:01:08 AM by Archer »
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y