Author Topic: Death of a FLGS  (Read 10202 times)

Offline Kaile_Bloodhammer

Death of a FLGS
« on: November 29, 2005, 05:10:22 PM »
As of Monday the 28th the Rogue's Den clsoed its doors for the time. I am not sure when the final descion was reached but I was conatacted on Friday evening about it. When i got there later i found the place to be picked pretty clean. most of the tables and Slats had all been sold and nearly all of the gaming stock was gone.
The Den endure for a little over a year, and for those who were loyal customers it was a great place to hang out and play wargames, vidoegames and roleplaying games. Sadly due in part to some serious bad mouthing from two ther local store decitzens as well as some of the store management many people who would have found a new home at the Den were turned away because they were the "Wal-Mart of gaming stores and just want to put evryone else out of business".
It is always sad to see a FLGS go, but more so for me as i was one of the founfding members of the store. I was there at the begining when it was all justed hush planning in back of our previous store. I and one of the owners were the ones who made 90% of the terrain there with the help of a few others. It is just sad to see something you put so much work into die.

Sean Mebert
the Warsmith Kaile

P.S. thanks for all the help Dave and let all your buddies know the new hang out is Alternate Universe.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Death of a FLGS
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:31:31 PM »
Bother.

that place looked to be the model of modern maintstream gaming.    ah well, now i need a new road trip destination.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 05:57:29 PM »
That's sad to hear. :(

For you Philly guys, I'd say that Maplewood Hobby is reletively equidistant, although it couldn't hold a candle to what  I've seen of the Den...

"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 06:14:40 PM »
The Den was an awesome store, 20+ tables, and all the terrain you could want! it will be sorely missed.

As to maplewood, sadly, that is abotu 2+hours from here, the den was 45 minutes..  I wil definitely make the trek up there, but, i doubt it will be a "weekly/monthly" thing.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:07:12 PM »
ahh... I misjudged the distance. :(

I'm glad I have 3 game stores (with tables) within about 45 minutes, but if any of them closed, I'd be sad.  They each have their own clientele and unique charm, and it always sucks when one closes.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 08:20:03 PM »

I'm glad I have 3 game stores (with tables) within about 45 minutes, but if any of them closed, I'd be sad.  They each have their own clientele and unique charm, and it always sucks when one closes.

be glad that you have one...most of the stores out here are so heavily up to their ears in English pewter that the costs of the required orders prevent them from seriously carrying any other lines...

Also...the English requirement that no competing product be placed within 20 feet of their products prevents most stores, since most stores are so small, from carrying competetive items...

B.
Sad to hear that what sounded like such a good store has gone though...I miss having places like that to play...

eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Kaile_Bloodhammer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 08:32:26 PM »
Thanks everyone.  it is nice to get sympathy from everyone who has and has not been there.

and Wow...i had not realized that was my first post here.  i have been here before and have been playing Warzone fore about 7 mothes and have a 1000+ pt DL army and live within about 20min of Excelsior and am resculpting the Unholy carronade.   it is amazing with all that i have never posted here.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 09:05:47 AM »
I was planning on stopping by at some point in the future, if I took a trip down to South Jersey.  :-\

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 12:21:11 PM »
It is Quite sad isn't it.  I am really new to Warzone, like only 6 month into playing it.  I love it, and so does my wife!!  "Rogue's Den" was the place that we learned it, and met friends to play it with.  We were so sad cause it was a nice escape from everything else, and the staff and regulars there were so friendly.  We bought one of the game slats and some terrain last week, because we wanted to hang on to a little piece of the place.  So for now I don't know where we are gonna play.  We live 1/4 mile down the road and it was right there, all the time.  We will never forget "Rogue's Den" and there are a lot of us that feel the same way.

To you and all those that helped you create "all the terrain you could want"....
To all those who made the "Den" what it was, and still is to us....

WELL DONE!!!
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 12:37:32 PM »
Lucky... livin' right down the street from a store... :(
of course, if I did, I'd be in debt up to my eyeballs. :)

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 12:46:58 PM »
I was lucky!  It just kinda fell in my lap.  One day... it was just there.  So I went. 
The down side is that now I have to drive by there 3-4 times a day and think, "This really Sucks!"
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 05:49:47 PM »
Thanks everyone.  it is nice to get sympathy from everyone who has and has not been there.

and Wow...i had not realized that was my first post here.  i have been here before and have been playing Warzone fore about 7 mothes and have a 1000+ pt DL army and live within about 20min of Excelsior and am resculpting the Unholy carronade.   it is amazing with all that i have never posted here.

First off, Sean, welcome!

Secondly, feel free to e-mail me (see those little icons under my avatar?) or call me (484-494-0351).  I live about 8 minutes from Alternate Universes and will gladly show up there, as will Jeff, Bryon, and others.

Thirdly, it sucks that the Den closed.  I'd like to talk to you about it, but not here.

Lastly, I would like to say to all here that Sean is a fine person, player, and an excellent sculptor/painter.  I am sure that you'll be seeing some of his work.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 05:51:09 PM »
It is Quite sad isn't it.  I am really new to Warzone, like only 6 month into playing it.  I love it, and so does my wife!!  "Rogue's Den" was the place that we learned it, and met friends to play it with.  We were so sad cause it was a nice escape from everything else, and the staff and regulars there were so friendly.  We bought one of the game slats and some terrain last week, because we wanted to hang on to a little piece of the place.  So for now I don't know where we are gonna play.  We live 1/4 mile down the road and it was right there, all the time.  We will never forget "Rogue's Den" and there are a lot of us that feel the same way.

To you and all those that helped you create "all the terrain you could want"....

WELL DONE!!!

Is that you, Tim?

Welcome!  Nice tagline.  Say, "Hello," to Shannon for me.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 07:29:24 PM »
I was planning on stopping by at some point in the future, if I took a trip down to South Jersey.  :-\

guess that trip is on the shelf now...

B.
still bummed out...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 08:38:12 PM »

WELL DONE!!!

Is that you, Tim?

Welcome!  Nice tagline.  Say, "Hello," to Shannon for me.
Yes It is me (Tim)...  and Shannon says HI!

I am on the verge of finishing a new 4x6 table in the basement.  The whole house smells like enamel!

Note to self... Don't leave the heater on when spray painting.  I'm gonna go open the windows.

It'll be great since it is cold outside!! :-\