Author Topic: Goblin Ripperbeast Archer  (Read 10644 times)

Offline mchiao

Goblin Ripperbeast Archer
« on: November 29, 2005, 12:27:08 PM »
Can I run, shoot, shoot and then run back?  Move 9 inches closer to the target, fires 2 shots or aim fire and runs back to safety, you know, the goblin way?

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
Re: Goblin Ripperbeast Archer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:45:33 PM »
Can I run, shoot, shoot and then run back?  Move 9 inches closer to the target, fires 2 shots or aim fire and runs back to safety, you know, the goblin way?

I would say no!

As stated in the rules (pg.57) both, Rider and Mount, spent their actions simultaneous. That means the Ripper runs while the Archer shoots. Then the Ripper runs back home and the Archer shoots again.

I would say you would have to define at which point the Rider/Archer uses his action. I don't think that you will get 2 shots from the nearer site, cause this way it would be shooting one time at the end of the mounts action and one time at the start of the mounts action.

As using an aim action, I don't know if it's possible to aim while the mount moves, but I think the rules for aiming should apply like in the book. As long as you don't move you can aim, with the first step you make you loose the aim bonus. ceteris paribus actually your mounts moves so you will change your position too...so you have moved!

Perhaps someone more rule-experienced will clarify on this one.

just my two cents,

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 01:40:53 PM »
First, I think you can only combine run with another run or a charge.  As for the archery, the archer may shoot during each move of his mount----on a normal move, not run.  Aim uses one action for the archer, so would only allow one shot during the second move.  I'm pretty sure about this, but I'll defer to the more experienced around here.  Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 01:54:41 PM »
I'am not sure how much differently move and shoot works from warzone to chronopia but in warzone you could move closer and then shoot as 1 action and then shoot at the closer range and then move back as 1 action.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 03:59:18 PM »
I believe, that If you aim then the ripper beast would stand there and do nothing thus waisting an action. Then you could move and shoot. Or on the flip side shoot then move but you must use both actions at once. For running you can run and run only, this can not leave you in cc . If you want to charge a model first you must use your run and revert back to regular mv to complete the charge. When use a run action that is all you are permitted to do.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 07:22:09 PM »
The way I understand the rules:
the beast does its actions, the rider does its actions they just so happens to do it at the same time.

So the mount runs it can do nothing but run.
the rider does its actions at the same time unaffected by the fact the mount runs.
so yeah the mount runs 1st action rider aims
mount runs 2nd action rider shots.
at least this is my understanding. :-\

when I get a chance I'll try to find some quote'able rules from the rule book

-steve
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline FrostWolf

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 05:25:57 AM »
Page 58, Chronopia, War in the Eternal Realm, Rulebook:
"If a model Choose to Run, the only other Actions it may take during that activation are additional Run or Move actions."
The Book is Clear, you may NOT Run and Shoot during the same Turn. I think you declare your Run, before Activating the Model. Otherwise, you may: 1 Action: Shoot, then, with the second, Run.

Page 60, Aim:
"Once you have Aimed a target, you continue to get the Bonus for Aiming, until you Move, your Target Moves, or Your Turn ends."
Because "Move and Shoot" is a Move Action, you can not Aim and Move or Move and take a Aimed Shoot when moving with a Mounted Archer. Ok, i think you may Aim and Move, but it is ineffectiv, because you lose your Aim Status, at the same time (because you´re moving...)

I hope i can help  ;D

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 05:49:56 AM »
"If a model Choose to Run, the only other Actions it may take during that activation are additional Run or Move actions."
The Book is Clear, you may NOT Run and Shoot during the same Turn. I think you declare your Run, before Activating the Model. Otherwise, you may: 1 Action: Shoot, then, with the second, Run.

Nice try...but the Rule you quoted is, at least I think so, for normal models. A Mounted Unit has other rules and they are explained on page 57 and with an example on page 59...

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 07:09:28 AM »
You can do it like this if you wish:
1st Action: Beast moves and Rider fires.
2nd Action: Rider fires and Beast moves.

There is no requirement that you do them in any particular order. You just have to do Acction one with both before you do Action two.

I'll post page references tonight when I get home.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 06:40:12 PM »
Nice try...but the Rule you quoted is, at least I think so, for normal models. A Mounted Unit has other rules and they are explained on page 57 and with an example on page 59...

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake

Yes that's true, however the rules in those referenced pages do not address the issue of running (at work at the moment and going from Sudafed-enhanced memory), simply the issue that Coil stated, that both the mount and the rider may each act on Action #1, before continuing on to Action #2.

In my opinion, the Run rule as stated should apply to Mounted models as well, and this is how I have always played and ruled it previously. If the Ripper takes an action to Run, then the Archer should not be able to fire, as he is far too busy concentrating on handling a speeding drumstick.

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 11:51:58 PM »
Forgot to add that to my post. Of course if the mount Runs the rider can just hold on and not shoot.

Wedge

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 06:48:49 PM »
Coil is 100% correct.

You can move and shoot, then shoot and move back, but not while running.  Running can only be combined with another run, move, or charge.

So yes, the Deathchicken can move 6", the rider shoots.  Second action, the rider shoots and the deathchicken moves 6" again.

Arguments to the contrary are moot.  I have ruled this very manuever legal in a tournament at GenCon with Thom standing directly beside me--he concurred with the above ruling.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 07:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the backup, Wedge and Coil. You rock, as always.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 06:20:57 AM »
You tend to make pretty good calls on rules too Southpaw.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 07:04:02 AM »
I'm more than happy to help out in any way possible Coil. My pleasure, truly.

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin