Author Topic: Iwo Jima...  (Read 22018 times)

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
Iwo Jima...
« on: November 24, 2005, 07:28:33 AM »
I'm starting to write a scenario for possible submission to Topkick for Origins, and I was wondering if anyone out there might have some ideas as to terrain, force organization, etc.

Basically, it is Capitol assaulting a Mishima held position in s jungle setting, very similar to the US Marines assaulting the island of Iwo Jima in WW2.  I am visualizing this being an assault on a Misihima encampment, well fortified and defended.

I am thinking about using 1250-1500 Capitol, using the Capitol Navy list, and about 750 points of Mishima without using the Lord Heir lists.

Other than that, I just have very basic ideas (as I said, I just started to research writing this)...so if anyone has any ideas, I sure could use them.

B.
I post more as I start fleshing things out...the more possible playtestingI can get, the better it will be...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: Iwo Jima...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 08:17:41 AM »
Iwo Jima was a horrific, sacrificial (on the Japanese) battle in which the Japanese were so well dug in that 10 days of off-shore bombardment did nothing as far as softening up the island.

If you are going to have Mishima defend have them outnumbered 2:1 and have them be considered in hard cover at ALL times (exception, charging or in CC).  Further, give all Mishiman the effect of Resolve: 3 (They know they're going to die, they just want kill as many Capitolians as they can before they do!).

Have the Mishiman deployanywhere on the board, with at least half the force in a regualr deployment zone.  They may be on Wait.

The Free Marines deploy normally, but can be subject to WAIT actions the moment they are revealed.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 08:56:57 AM »
Dmcgee has a great idea, I'd modify it so that the Mishimans are assume to pas any morale based LD checks.

and yeah, they should have a 2-3 to 1 advantage, even if it's mostly ashigaru and Faceless.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:21:47 PM »
I love that idea dmcgee...I'll have to do that...

as for the Mishima force organization...I was thinking about Faceless and Ronin Samurai instead of Ashigaru...I'm thinking this because Ashigaru are regular citizens just caught up in the fight, but Ronin are more or less professional soldiers (be they mercenary or not)...I was thinking that the Faceless might be disgraced soldiers...

the points totals so far are just working totals...this may be, because of the way I envision the scenario, a 3-to-1 scenario...

more to come I'm sure...

B.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 11:11:23 PM »
You might also want to develop mines/booby or pre-planned on-call targets traps that the Mishiman player controls (give him markers, some false, some real that initiate explosions).   Something to simulate a tunnel system would be a great touch.

I got a chance to tour Iwo Jima to include climbing Mt Suribachi.  It was a hell of a climb without being shot at.  Add to that the island is volcanically active, yet they riddled the mountain and surrouding countryside with tunnels, bunkers, etc. which we got to tour as well.  The caves still have some equipment in them.  Most of the bodies have been found and buried, but new ones are found all the time.  It was a humbling experience.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 04:22:33 PM »
I love that idea dmcgee...I'll have to do that...

as for the Mishima force organization...I was thinking about Faceless and Ronin Samurai instead of Ashigaru...I'm thinking this because Ashigaru are regular citizens just caught up in the fight, but Ronin are more or less professional soldiers (be they mercenary or not)...I was thinking that the Faceless might be disgraced soldiers...

the points totals so far are just working totals...this may be, because of the way I envision the scenario, a 3-to-1 scenario...

more to come I'm sure...

B.

Read your history book - plenty of ordinary citizens died on Iwo Jima...most threw themselves off cliffs rather than be subjected to the tortures the Japanese military told them that the US Marines would inflict upon them.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 08:27:44 PM »
That was Okinawa.  I've been to both, there isn't room on Iwo Jima for peasants, plus there aren't any good cliffs to fling one's self off of.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 08:49:27 PM »
Read your history book - plenty of ordinary citizens died on Iwo Jima...most threw themselves off cliffs rather than be subjected to the tortures the Japanese military told them that the US Marines would inflict upon them.

the more I'm thinking about it, I am probably going to have to include Ashigaru squads just for some of the choices that they offer...

I'm just using Iwo Jima as an example...I'm not trying to create a scenario that matches it exactly...but as I've been thinking about it , I've been changing some of the lists that I've had in my head as I've been taking some of the ideas that have been posted here and been mulling them over...

minefields...probably, but not in stone yet...hardened positions,...definitely, that is a definite because of the scenario...

B.
almost have a working Mishima list...then on the Capitol...

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 10:05:20 PM »
That was Okinawa.  I've been to both, there isn't room on Iwo Jima for peasants, plus there aren't any good cliffs to fling one's self off of.

So, it is I who needs the reading, then.  My apologies.  Thanks for the correction.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 08:09:57 AM »
Between EE, Stalker and myself we should have enough trenches, sandbags, and emplacements to give a good representation of a fortified position. If you need to use them holler and I'll try to make sure and reserve them for you that slot.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 08:40:23 AM »
Between EE, Stalker and myself we should have enough trenches, sandbags, and emplacements to give a good representation of a fortified position. If you need to use them holler and I'll try to make sure and reserve them for you that slot.

I was at Stalker's house last night (until close to 3am), designing the force lists and talking about terrain placement...I think that we have flushed out the units, although there have been some discussions about the force sizes, and we started talking about the composition of the board...luckily, we have a friend up here that is a terrain building geek...

B.
BTW...how big is too big for an Origins scenario?...

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 09:09:36 AM »
Too big to fit in the room?

I mean, even if it takes up the whole room, all ya gotta do it build a suspension system so the players can hang over the 100' x 100' board.

I'm sure the convention center would be cool with it...
and if they aren't, tell 'em GW said it was OK.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 11:48:48 AM »
Too big to fit in the room?

I mean, even if it takes up the whole room, all ya gotta do it build a suspension system so the players can hang over the 100' x 100' board.

I'm sure the convention center would be cool with it...
and if they aren't, tell 'em GW said it was OK.

that might be fun...susupended over the game like actors in bad martial arts movies starring Jet Li...

B.
I meant too big points wise

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 03:02:11 PM »
I'd say if it goes over 96 hours then it might be too long.  ;)  Seriously I've seen games that have run in shifts over the whole Con so basically the question becomes how long are you and your team of assistants willing to run? Other than that make it a continious game and require a fresh ticket every 4 hours. That way people can rotate in and out as their Con plans allow.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 04:04:43 PM »
I think Topkick is onto something.  It would be an absolutly sick idea.  You could get different people to play different squads, and if they're far enough away from each other, you could have them activate simultaniously, that would speed the game up, at least.