Author Topic: Hello from an older timer!  (Read 11660 times)

Offline pancreasboy

• Journeyman
  • Bauhaus: Uber alles
    • Twisted Pancreas
Hello from an older timer!
« on: November 23, 2005, 07:04:12 PM »
Hi there guys!

Man has it been a long time since i set my eyes on this forum.

Some of u may remember me from way back in the day of 1st edition with Rewy, through 2nd edition until the release of Ultimate Warzone.

I'm sad to see that the only older timer i recognise is Topkick. Where has everyone else gone?

I'm also a bit sad to see that not much has changed in regards to Warzone as well. Looks like not many new figures have come out or new rules, etc, etc...

The only thing that looks new is the website  :( Am I wrong here? Is there anything new? I'm sorry to say but I've been tainted over to another game that has regular new releases and rules (an no it's not any GW game).

So please enlighten me  :-\

Yourz  Trooly,

PB

Offline Anubis31

• Administrator
  • Exclesior Staff/Design
    • Excelsior Entertainment
Re: Hello from an older timer!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 08:17:19 PM »
There have been a number of new releases for warzone.

Recently
Dragoon sniper
Euthanasi
Tekron Warmaster
Golden Lion Demo Spec.

Soon to be released (Finalizing green or need to be master molded)
Survialer
Stormtrenchers
Jobite Caveliers (2 regular poses, 1 hvy wpn)
there are a few others that are in the works but I cant remember off my head.

JP

Any other questions by all means email me.
Jon@excelsiorentertainment.com

Offline UrbanShocker

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 08:46:16 PM »
JP,

Anything to report on the Chronopia front??

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 10:03:11 PM »
Welcome back PB!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 03:28:26 AM »
Welcome back PB!

You'll find that there are a bunch of us still around from way back (Target Forums back in ancient times even). Fortunately there's been an inflow of new names as well.

/Andreas

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 09:14:39 AM »
A lot of us are still around, Pancreas.....and great to see you again. Hope you'll stick around a while!
Where's Rewy these days?
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline pancreasboy

• Journeyman
  • Bauhaus: Uber alles
    • Twisted Pancreas
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 05:03:40 PM »
Hey there are some more veterans here!

Dunno what became of Rewy (even though he lived only about 3 suburbs away from me), last i heard he was working for a Kodak shop developing peoples happy snaps.

Now I'm going to have a bit of a rant below, and I've held off for ages in speaking my mind, but just keep in mind that this is just me speaking my mind and i had to get this off my chest. You may disagree with me, and that's cool, but I just thought it had to be said.

There have been a number of new releases for warzone.

Recently
Dragoon sniper
Euthanasi
Tekron Warmaster
Golden Lion Demo Spec.

Soon to be released (Finalizing green or need to be master molded)
Survialer
Stormtrenchers
Jobite Caveliers (2 regular poses, 1 hvy wpn)
there are a few others that are in the works but I cant remember off my head.

JP

Any other questions by all means email me.
Jon@excelsiorentertainment.com

Unfortunately Anubis, most of those new releases you mentioned above aren't new releases, since they were around when I was still on these forums (about a year or so ago). A dozen figures per year ain't great for a games heatlh. If they were coming out every one or two months I'd be happier.

I'm a bit disappointed in where Warzone has gone. I always thought the Alpha testing was rushed (and I'm not saying that because I missed out on it), which is shown in the massive errata that emerged after the rules were distributed. As above, after all this time,  I am disappointed with the lack of figures or additional rules appearing as well. And I'm actually a bit disappointed with how the game is being presented (this is coming from a designers point of view, as that is my profession, and as a miniature painter), whoever does the graphics for the website and the rulebook should seriously reconsider their design standards (the new logo is great, but the rest of the graphics let the site down) and the new models don't look professionally painted. The photography of them is very amateur too.

Sorry for blurting this out, but Warzone used to a fantastic game which held it's own even against GW games. Now it seems to have become a difficult game to play due to a massive errata, lack of new, inspiring figures and a hazy future.

Phew i got that out. I can now rest in peace.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 07:41:02 PM »
It's ok dude, as long as your back! :)

Sure Excelsior is going at kind of a slow pace, but it is only a few guys in a warehouse, and it's being fueled with their (and our) love of the game.  Don't give up hope man, things'll pick up!

What the game REALLY needs is more players.  If we can do demos, and get people into the game, the influx of income could alow Thom and the guys to really start going, and maybe be able to do it more than part time. (I don't blame 'em, they do need to put food on the table)

But yeah, if we can each lure 2 or 3 people away from 40k, and have them spend that money here, we would have new sculpts pouring in, and money for better design and such.  (Although, to be truthful, I figure paying 45 dollars for what amounts to be a FULL rulebook and 8 or so forcebooks, is a damn good deal, even if I have to print out an eratta).

OK, rant over.

EDIT: Spelling
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 06:42:51 PM by Jibbajabbawocky »
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Anubis31

• Administrator
  • Exclesior Staff/Design
    • Excelsior Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 08:48:55 PM »
It's ok dude, as long as your back! :)

Sure Excelsior is going at kind of a slow pace, but it is only a few guys in a warehouse, and it's being fueled with their (and our) love of the game.  Don't give up hope man, things'll pick up!

What the game REALLY needs is more players.  If we can do demos, and get people into the game, the influx of income could alow Thom and the guys to really start going, and maybe be able to do it more than part time. (I don't blame 'em, they do need to put food on the table)

But yeah, if we can each lure 2 or 3 people away from 40k, and have them spend that moeny here, we would have new sculpts pouring in, and money for better design and such.  (Although, to be truthful, I figure paying 45 dollars for what amounts to be a FULL rulebook and 8 or so forcebooks, is a damn good deal, even if I have to print out an eratta).

OK, rant over.

What do you recommend. And what was lacking the the way of graphics on the site. Im glad you like the logo and everything and would love some constructive critique.

As for warzone rules and everyting ect. before my time... as for the minis. the survieler and euthinasi, cavaliers are all new. released or to be release in the last few months.  Granted chronopia has had a bit more in the way of new releases recently but we are really working on getting atleast 5-10 new minis out every couple of months. Since july we have really been trying to rebuild stuff. A lot of bumps have been sent our way and we are doing all we can to make the game system and minis the best they can be.
Also with respect to the graphics... a lot of what we have is older files as well as low res items. we are working on getting new things scanned in and in a better resolution.
By all means ifyou have any ideas, or thoughts please email or pm me..
jon@excelsiorentertainment.com
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 08:51:32 PM by Anubis31 »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 04:14:53 PM »
Nicely said, J.P. 

As for what JP stated, I will volunteer my time and my camera.  I am getting better at the painting bit, but I am no pro - yet. :)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

JoshW

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 07:04:32 PM »
Hi Pancreas,
how's things and stuff? How's Sydney?

It's easy to assume that once someone grabbed the rights, things would go back to Target days, with a studio with a large pool of people to handle photography, design, writing, sculpting, painting, terrain - whatever, with the financial backing of  large company. 

On one hand, I am at ease with the slow release for rules. Having played the 3 incarnations of the game, I can say that this is easily the most playable and balanced. What I think has caused issues raised in the erratta is writing that's a little vague. Once you understand what the rule is saying, it's fine. Compared with other, apparently simpler rulesets, there seem to be less room for abuse and ambiguity.

The supplements that were coming at out at the end of Target days were subpar, (Mars in particular) and not looking to improve (The Mercury book sounded appalling). While I too would like to see more, I'd rather wait for quaility that have a rubbish publication every quarter.

It can be easy to gloss over the past - 2nd Ed, Warzone was not that hot. Bland armies, wonky points values, close combat units being worthless! Assault marines were cost the same points as wolfbanes or blessed legionares !?!   

I'll wholeheartedly agree with the level of design, since I'm a designer too. I don't mind the website (certainly an improvement over the previous one), the logo and header look sharp. But the book could use a massive rework, if nothing else just to clean up the typesetting, establish a more cohesive style and remove 72 dpi pics. The paper also seems a little grey, which may not help.

There are ways to increase interest and promote the game, which don't rely new releases, it may be worth a new thread or a few emails to to push around a few ideas.

So it may be slowly, slowly, but I have faith this will increase momentum and presentation.  It at least gives me time to save up to get that Mishima army I've got my eye on.

If you're ever over in the West, drop on by!

Cheers,

(Kadaver) JoshW

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 06:43:25 PM »
hey, Anubis is pickin' on me!

:p
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Guantanamo

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 10:37:08 AM »
Hey,

I'd venture to guess there are a lot more old timers around.  But, as with each incarnation of the BB system, it seems we get relagated more and more as Lurkers.

And yes from an old time target forum poster, it seems that EE has been very quite on the release front.  But, I guess it's a matter of focus.  I guess if they are happy with a fringe niche', then they are doing alright.  But, they have had the property for more then three years and over the span of the past three years, there have been new releases but there hasn't been a great deal of progress as compared to 'other' game systems.  But, we can still play with what's there and an occasional release here and there still keeps it in the realm of 'still in print'.  Although most people still think of it as OOP.  Which has it's own stigmatism I try and fight.  Just hoping the next prints will come and spawn a couple new players.  Only time will tell, but you've been hearing that for some time, right?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 10:50:56 AM »
oddly enough, as the old timers get relegated to Lurking status, us Lurkers from the paradox and before days are taking the Limelight.  Not to say I don't miss the hell outta some of ya'll, I just think it's kinda telling of the times.

well if nothing else, I sure don't miss the Horned God vs Grumpel mountain top diatribes.

but yeah, don't leave me hanging here guys.  it's good to hear from you again.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 09:47:21 PM »
Grumpel wasn't the most tactful of people.  I don't necessarily mourn his leaving overmuch.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!