Author Topic: How do you lure people away from "Those other games"?  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
How do you lure people away from "Those other games"?
« on: November 22, 2005, 07:21:40 AM »
So, I have a few freinds who play... that other game... you know... the sci-fi one...

And I've been trying to convert them to Warzone.

How would you go about converting people, be they friends or customers at your FLGS to try Warzone and Chronopia?

So far, I've run a small demo of Warzone, to show off the (IMHO) superior rules system, and Chronopia could be run the same way.

Any one else have experience tempting people away from "The Dark Side"?
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Daikoku

Re: How do you lure people away from "Those other games"?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 01:53:58 AM »
Most people that I have gotten to try out UWZ that play that 'other' game were intrigued by the rules sytem.  Specifically the blind deployment and alternating activations.  They also liked the fact that they didin't have to shell out $$$$ for a seperate *cough* codex *cough* for each force.  Everything one needs to play the game (ostensibly...I know there's an Eratta/FAQ) is in one book. 

Those points sell the game to experienced wargamers IMHO.  That and the fact that EE isn't incredibly anal retentive about disallowing 'retired' models at their official events.  Dunno if that other company is still doing that but I know at one time they were.
Life is a mountain, death is a feather, duty is all  -  Mishiman Proverb

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 05:49:18 AM »
The last guy I converted wouldn't budge and invited me to try the other game. I agreed to play one with him if he played Warzone. After we played both games I asked him what he thought. Conversion complete. I also have been known to sit in the game room and watch the other game and wait. Before long someone will complain about the long time between turns or how a turn of lucky dice rolls ruined the game. On their next break I talk up Warzone. I usually get a few people to try it.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 07:35:18 AM »
Everything one needs to play the game (ostensibly...I know there's an Eratta/FAQ) is in one book. 

That's ok, the Other Company, (Geek Worship?) has plenty of Erattas and FAQs out for it's games.  Along with Forcebooks that haven't been updated in 8 or so years, and forcebooks that left out the list of weapons. (The one that give you ranges and damage and whatnot)

Really, the UWZ Eratta/FAQ may be long, but it's not too bad for a *insert Big Number* page book.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 03:43:19 PM »
i just play the game where they are playing their game.  They always notice, heck a lot of them used to play.   I point out the alternating activations and the combined book as well as the fact that $100 bucks will buy me a heckuva competitive army, where as  a hundred bucks in GW prices is two and a half squads.  I mean honestly, $35 for five plastic guys!?  how about 14 models of all sorts of poses!

and the SKULLS!  We don't have to make our badguys scary by puttin SKULLS onto everything!@!

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 08:33:07 PM »
i just play the game where they are playing their game.  They always notice, heck a lot of them used to play.   I point out the alternating activations and the combined book as well as the fact that $100 bucks will buy me a heckuva competitive army, where as  a hundred bucks in GW prices is two and a half squads.  I mean honestly, $35 for five plastic guys!?  how about 14 models of all sorts of poses!

and the SKULLS!  We don't have to make our badguys scary by puttin SKULLS onto everything!@!

-PFC joe

Please, 50 bucks for 5 plastic guys in big stompy armor.  The same price as 5 of the same guys in metal.  Insanity...

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 08:39:42 PM »
Going back to skullz-it's not just the bad guy.  It's like skullz in the 41 millenium is the new black.  Not sure what to wear?  Accessorise with skullz.  I'm suprised they don't work off of a skull based economy.  I get it-Skullz=death=dark millenium. 

I reiterate that $35 is not too much for five plastic figures- it makes up for recent breakthroughs in casting techniques make them cheaper to produce. 

Oh, wait.

VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 08:21:16 AM »
First Step, Skulls, second step ???, Third step, Profit!