Author Topic: INSANITY  (Read 21177 times)

Offline Spagg

Re: INSANITY
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 09:36:14 AM »
Very cool stuff. I can't wait to see how this battle unfolds!!

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2006, 01:42:10 AM »
OK, not intending to take this long between playing the battle and posting, we didn't take any notes.  However, the holidays did get in the way and I opted to go Xmas shopping over posting a battle report.  Now that all that fuss is over, Wolfpac and I can get back to business.  As such, I will need to recall on memory to tell the ebb and flow of round 3.

The round started off well as I won the initiative.  I opted to begin with Shekral since he was already engaged with the Mirrormen.  I figured that he could not only use his can opener on the TinMen but also recycle them into something useful such as Blessed Legionaires. I was also concerned for his well being if he did not go first and take down a few Cyber boys.  Apparently some Necromutant back in the Citadel was sleeping on the job and forgot to sharpen Shekral's Plague Pike!  Although I successfully hit twice, the pike just seemed to bounce off.

Well, the TinMen didn't take too kindly to Mr Shekral treating one of their brethren as a dinner bell.  So, they in turn decided to see just how much blubber they could cut from the FatMan before he would fall.  Quickly they dispatched the rest of my Last Ritesmen that were in the same melee as Shekral and rushed over to help.  Shekral of course stood defiant.  However the shrewd tactics and determination of the Cyber Super Troopers was just too much.  Knowing that if you cut off the head the rest of the body will fall, some nearby MirrorMen decided to leave the dance early that they were having with some Kadavers.  To my chagrin, they successfully broke from CC and rushed over to overwhelm the struggling Shekral.  The icing on the cake for Wolfpac, was when they capped one of my Spawns with their secondary attack!

This brings the Mirormen's tally of destruction up to: 3 Caraiths, both units of LastRites Men, 4 Kadavers and a Spawn from one unit, 1 Kadaver and wounding 2 more from the other unit, half an unit of Cursed, and Shekral.  However their luck would run out here.  Since they were no longer engaged, I had clear shots with 2 units of Necromutants that are posted up in the upper floors and rooftops of some nearby buildings.  In round 2 the Necromutants did not wish to risk harming their own as they refused to fire into the fray (I failed ever moral check for them to fire into CC).

Elsewhere on the battlefield, the mob of Undead continue to ramble down Main St, ready to embrace the grinning Atillas being prodded forward by Cyber's top Diamond - Vince!  The mob fearlessly surges forward under the cover of smoke and behind the lead of the stoic Golems of Darkness.  Suddenly their mood changes as a Scorpion greets the lead Golem with a rocket to the chest.  As the Golem reels back from this blast all cracked and broken, a sniper shot finishes the job shattering him into a pile of rubble.  The Necromutants driving the horde forward quickly reassess the situation.  The lead unit sets up a futile firing line while the following units maneuver to hug the walls of the nearby buildings or actually move to clamor through the windows and clear the street.

The scraping of metal on concrete can be heard as Machinator MKIs and MKIIs attempt to outflank me on both sides of Main Street.  The Cursed make it to their positions and attempt to dwindle the ranks of the metal skeletons on my left but, the intervening terrain proves to be too difficult to get clear shots.  The Colossus and Necromutants on my right move to reinforce the ever-shrinking mob as the small unit of Undead Legionaires taste the fury of the Cancer Mounted securing Wolpac's left side.

In the back lines, officers/individuals shuffle nervously as they look to the skies for  deployed canopies.  Reavers slowly advance in support of the Machinators as Necroreavers treat fallen Legionaires as speed bumps.  Saving my Kadaver units until last, my remaining Spawn was able to blow his Foul Wind and raise 2 of the TinMen into useful tools of the Dark Legion.  Moreover, my Curators begin to work their magic.  Not only was my Spawn restored to a fighting position but one Curator was able to rush over and brush the fallen Cyber bodies off of Shekral, finding him badly wounded but still not out of the fight.  With the immediate threat out of the way, Shekral should be able to rest and regenerate in order to partake in the glorious end of this battle!

Round 4 is scheduled for tomorrow.  If we're lucky we can get round 5 finished as well.

If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 11:46:45 PM »
I think that I've finally found a way to get some of these pics up.  Thanx dmcgee1!!!  ;D

Here's a shot from Cybers' side of the field.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »
Here's one from the opposite end.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 12:04:11 AM »
This is a side view of Cybers' area.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 12:06:02 AM »
and a side view (taken from the opposite side of the table) of the DLs' starting area.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 12:08:08 AM »
...and finally, a close up of the main intersection which is currently (end of round #4) under hot dispute!

Offline tHe_MaN

• MutantChronicles.net - French community MC website
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 04:08:03 AM »
We want the minis on the photos! To see how impressive it is ;o)

Great challenge you're on btw. That's really excellent ;o) Makes me dream... what if...  ;)

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2006, 06:15:50 PM »
Action pics will be coming soon.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2006, 02:15:20 AM »
OK,  I know it has been awhile since my last update.  I went out of town for a week and Wolfpac was supposed to post round 4 highlights but I guess work and family took priority.

Anyway, here are a few pics with some models on the table.  We actually played round 5 last night.  I'll try and write an update and post pics of that round soon. 

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2006, 02:19:45 AM »
These two pics are the best ones that I have (thus far) of showing the massing of troops.  They were both taken at the same point in the battle but from opposite perspectives. 

This was when I was trying to march my Legions down mainstreet under the cover of smoke (round 2).   It felt good to have golems then!

Offline tHe_MaN

• MutantChronicles.net - French community MC website
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2006, 09:37:48 AM »
Great Stalker, thank you for the pics. However, could you provide us larger sized pictured of the game, as well as pics encompassing the whole battlefield? Just to see how many painted figs there are ;o)

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2006, 05:12:20 PM »
I'll make a note to do that the next time we get together but, don't get too excited.  The board is big (8 feet x 4 feet) and by now (round 5) the minis are pretty spread out.  It was only in the first 2 rounds that everything was jammed up.  Besides I have 8 units not yet on the board (2 in the NecroReavers and 6 Para-deploy) and my buddy has 2 units  not out yet (Para-deploy).  Also, not all the pieces are painted and as such, they don't show up too well in bigger pics.  Lastly, anybody who thinks that either myself or Wolfpac have 5000 pts of any single faction, is a fool.  We have all kinds of proxies with a list reminding us what is representing what.

So, I will take and post some bigger pics for you, I'm just saying that I don't think that they will be too awe-inspiring.  Thanx for following along with the battle though.  Wolfpac and I appreciate that!  ;D

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2006, 05:45:40 PM »
gads...

i'm one Orca squad completion (they're on my table) shy of 3K Capitol troops.  Almost all painted.

I need more dogs.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2006, 09:54:46 PM »
Wow.

All you need now is some news correspondant somewhere in the middle.

VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!