Author Topic: INSANITY  (Read 21148 times)

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
INSANITY
« on: November 21, 2005, 12:56:12 PM »
No this thread is not about Muahjwe.  I have taken a break from my beloved hobby for a while do to many different personal reasons.  However, a good buddy of mine has saved me from the ashes of my despair and rekindled my interest on a GRAND SCALE.

We are currently preparing to play a battle consisting of  5000 pts each.  We set up a flocked 8x4 piece of plywood in his garage.  It took about two and a half hours just to set terrain.  I have some pics that I will figure out how to post.  I returned to his house on another day and we took another two hours just to deploy.  We are obviously not in any hurry to play this game.  We are going to take our time and play this game out the right way. 

Is this crazy or what?  What size games do you usually play?  What has been the largest scale that you've played before?  If there's interest I'll post updates and pics as they are available.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
Re: INSANITY
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 01:03:33 PM »
You sir, are a prince among men.

And if you have the pics, by all means, post them! :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 03:51:04 PM »
normally we play between 700 and 1200 point games.  we've played a few "everything you have" vs "everything we have"

Complete and total bloodbaths.

At that size we have multiple field arty pieces lobbing templates around, dozens of infiltrating troops, Snipers and Paratroopers all over.

And one Crenshaw.

The games ended with about one survivor.
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:39:26 PM »
yes, you are insane...

absolutely crackers...

I mean, REALLY out there...

totally looney...

muy loco...

B.
et al...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline WarlordtheFT

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 06:42:13 PM »
Here's an idea. Shuffle all you deployment cards, and deploy maybe 10 units to begin with. Then with each sunsequent turn, draw a reinforcement card. This card moves on to the table from the edge of your deployment zone.

Special rules:Any Infiltrators that are reinforcements may be deployed along any table edge instead of the edge of your deployment zone. However, they cannot deply in the enemy deployment zone or within 12 inces of an enemy unit.

435th AI Assault Regiment "Disposable Heroes"
Cybertronic

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 06:53:54 PM »
I like that, Warlord...nice idea.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 07:31:21 PM »
I like that idea too. :)

That battle report is gonna be wicked!
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 11:08:53 AM »
Well, I wish I would've read that idea before my buddy and I deployed.  We did it the standard way and now, we both have mobility problems.  It has sort of taken some of the strategy out of the game.  We only finished round one which was more or less: reveal card, place figs on the table, move them as far as they can go to allow for other figs to be placed behind them.  This now means that because of the chocking terrain, we have bottle necks.  So, for at least the next round, we have to activate the unit in front just to get things moving!

I kinda take responsibility for this mess.  I prefered to play facing the short way ( deploy on the 8 foot side and only have 4 feet of contested ground) but my buddy talked me into playing the long way.  I knew better but, I didn't think it would be this bad.  Oh well, it's fun regardless.

I'll post more after we play again.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 07:28:04 PM »
I feel bad for all the guys in front. :(

but keep the reports comin'!

Offline mchiao

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 07:41:56 PM »
No this thread is not about Muahjwe.  I have taken a break from my beloved hobby for a while do to many different personal reasons.  However, a good buddy of mine has saved me from the ashes of my despair and rekindled my interest on a GRAND SCALE.

We are currently preparing to play a battle consisting of  5000 pts each.  We set up a flocked 8x4 piece of plywood in his garage.  It took about two and a half hours just to set terrain.  I have some pics that I will figure out how to post.  I returned to his house on another day and we took another two hours just to deploy.  We are obviously not in any hurry to play this game.  We are going to take our time and play this game out the right way. 

Is this crazy or what?  What size games do you usually play?  What has been the largest scale that you've played before?  If there's interest I'll post updates and pics as they are available.

Dude,  where you located?  I wish I live right next door so I can join this maddness...  I think I have close to 5000pt of Imperial/Bauhaus/Capitol... 

SIGH!...

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 09:41:47 PM »
Man, i'll be impressed if you finish that. I started a 4 way 2000pt each game across two ping pong tables set side by side.............we eventaully just had to give up because we had no idea what was going on anymore after a couple of game turns. Would love to see some pictures, these kinds of battles are, as you put it, insanity.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 01:46:39 PM »
I'm starting to see your point already kwegibu.  It's been two weeks now and no action.  Part of the problem is the holiday season and, part of the issue was my going out and doing demos instead of moving this game along.  (What was I thinking?) No matter the reason, the game has not been moving. At this point, we are both still committed to finishing.  I'll keep you guys posted.

Median

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 05:22:40 PM »
Maybe for a little inspiration I'll see if I can make it down to the falls this sunday.  I still haven't even seen the board yet.

--Median--

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 03:57:56 PM »
That would be pretty cool Median.  J and I could both use a kick in the butt.  I spoke with him earlier today and we are going to try to meet on Friday to play a round or so.

BTW - It's nice to finally see you on the forums my friend.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 04:20:51 PM by Stalker »

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 01:18:12 AM »
I tried posting some pics of the battle but the site will not allow them.  They are too big.  I tried both resizing them and saving as a lesser quality but the pics are still too big.  Any ideas on how I can get them under the wire?