Author Topic: Light Infantry Captain  (Read 18550 times)

Offline Enker

Re: Light Infantry Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 04:11:55 AM »
Yes, there are a lot of examples of wasted points.
Another good example is the Capitolian Desert Scorp.
They have a CAR-24 and a Punisher. A Punisher only hits one better in CC and they do the same damage.
How many poits costs the punisher? I

On topic again. I can only think of one usefull use of the LI Captain.
This is, if you have 31 points left and are seaarching for another model,
to get more activations as your opponent.
If you have 35, 36 points left I would always prefere Sgt Carter, HI Captain or the Major.

And yes, the Colonel is Capitols best Individual. You can use him for:
Winning Initiative, spotting models, rallying other, take some wounds to protect others, blowing away enemys if they come to close.
But, why damn is he just a devision commander and not a force commander?
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2005, 01:16:44 PM »
Pieta, Squad Leaders make Tac Sense rolls for their entire squad, not just themselves.  Individuals and Squad Leaders that have tac sense can roll for their entire unit.  You do not require a Comm Helmet or other equipment as long as the TacSense model is a part of the squad and within Command distance.  This works almost exactly like it did in second edition.

I'm tryin to find it, but as far as I remember the Final ruling on Weapons in CC was that non pistol/smg weapons may be used to attack for strength.  Even then, most Shotgun wielding units have either a CC weapon or a natural attack. (Yes I know certain squad leaders as well as randomn other units only have a Shotgun).

As for questionable points cost, while I do lament having to pay for the pistol on my Heavy Infantry I know it's not going to change.  Sorry.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline behemoth

• Journeyman
    • Kimmo's Corner
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2005, 12:48:47 AM »
On topic again. I can only think of one usefull use of the LI Captain.
This is, if you have 31 points left and are seaarching for another model,
to get more activations as your opponent.

I agree. LI Cpt is a cheap way to gor activation rushing tactic. Or if one is going for extra officers to satisfy the requirements to get bombardments.

Not much else. But that DOES give Capitol a chance to get cheap officers when going for the bombardments.

"Just 'Cos You Got The Power,
That don't mean you got the right."
-Motorhead

Offline Pietia

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2005, 04:43:06 AM »
Pieta, Squad Leaders make Tac Sense rolls for their entire squad, not just themselves.  Individuals and Squad Leaders that have tac sense can roll for their entire unit.  You do not require a Comm Helmet or other equipment as long as the TacSense model is a part of the squad and within Command distance.  This works almost exactly like it did in second edition.
1. My UWZ book disagrees with your opinion. It does not say anything about sharing TS by squad leaders (other than the part in com helmet description)
2. We (Polish players)once asked Thom for clarification of Tactical Sense. He answered, that only models with commo helmets may share their TS with models with comm links, in every other situation it is "every man for himself"
3. Sacred Warriors would not need sarge with TS even if it worked like in 2nd edition
4. If the TS description has changed since the book has been printed, please put the new, corrected description in FAQ.

Offline fuko

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2005, 03:26:32 AM »
Mayby some official word about what Pietia wrote - becouse I am very confused (and my friends too) :-\

Offline behemoth

• Journeyman
    • Kimmo's Corner
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2005, 05:01:03 AM »
Mayby some official word about what Pietia wrote - becouse I am very confused (and my friends too) :-\

I wouldn't hold my breath. Best to just sit down with your friends and make up a house rule that satisfies all.

I don't know if it's the correct way or not, but we have played TS like this:

a squad member wishes to fire at a target that is not it's priority target:
 -a Tactical Sense roll is made (by a squad leader, should one exist; or the model itself if it has the skill)
 -if it succeeds, the model asking to switch it's target is allowed to do that for the rest of it's turn
 -if it does not succeed, the model asking to switch it's target can't do that and must target it's closest enemy
 -only one TS roll can be made per turn per model (ie. if there is a Colonel leading a squad with a Captain AND a Sergeant and each have TS, you can't make 3 rolls to try to switch targets) and should it succeed, it holds for the rest of the model's turn and if it doesn't succeed, the model must use all it's remaining shooting attacks to attack it's closest enemy.

Then another squad member wishes to use TS and the process repeats itself.

We've used TS like this without Comm Helm/Comm Links, but then again the reason to actually USE Comm Helm/Comm Link is a bit vague if it's not needed to convey Tactical Sense "orders"... I don't know if it's needed to use the skill or not. The TS skill description is incomplete and too ambigious so there's room for many interpretations (I'm sure we've played "the wrong" way, but it does work decent enough in our games).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 05:21:39 AM by behemoth »
"Just 'Cos You Got The Power,
That don't mean you got the right."
-Motorhead

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2005, 09:21:03 AM »
Sorry since the move and Thoms ever persistant computer troubles it's been hard to pin him down long enough to get confirmation one way or the other.  Don't worry, we're not ignoring ya.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2005, 02:00:43 PM »
I don't know if it's the correct way or not, but we have played TS like this:

a squad member wishes to fire at a target that is not it's priority target:
 -a Tactical Sense roll is made (by a squad leader, should one exist; or the model itself if it has the skill)
 -if it succeeds, the model asking to switch it's target is allowed to do that for the rest of it's turn
 -if it does not succeed, the model asking to switch it's target can't do that and must target it's closest enemy
 -only one TS roll can be made per turn per model (ie. if there is a Colonel leading a squad with a Captain AND a Sergeant and each have TS, you can't make 3 rolls to try to switch targets) and should it succeed, it holds for the rest of the model's turn and if it doesn't succeed, the model must use all it's remaining shooting attacks to attack it's closest enemy.

Then another squad member wishes to use TS and the process repeats itself.

This is how it was once explained to me and how I teach it on my Crusades.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Pietia

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2005, 11:04:31 PM »
Below is the answer to a question about how tac sense works given by Thom to Polish players. Thom's answers are in red. They seem to be exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting, and they came from the guy who wrote all those rules:

8 ) Tactical sense (pg. 81) – there are great doubts on that. Please give us examples of use of that SA in following situations:
a) Sgt. of the unit got tactical sense SA (how to use it by a grunt soldier of that unit)

A Sgt. with TS only affects himself.

b) a unit without a sgt. where every single member got own Tactical Sense

Each makes a seperate LD roll to test and see if they can do it.

c) a unit in command radius of an officer equipped with Command Helmet.

Each model gets to make a LD test (Give Orders +TS)