Author Topic: how did Thom know?  (Read 11024 times)

Offline Pietia

Re: how did Thom know?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 01:35:04 AM »
You are correct that delivery is just as easy, construction is difficult however. 
Oh, you can always count on the Russians selling it to everybody with hard cash.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 06:22:38 AM »
The primary destructive effect of a FAE weapon is not the fireball.   The first paragraph in the FAS.org link  provided by Veez states,

"The rapidly expanding wave front due to overpressure flattens all objects within close proximity of the epicenter of the aerosol fuel cloud, and produces debilitating damage well beyond the flattened area. The main destructive force of FAE is high overpressure, useful against soft targets such as minefields, armored vehicles, aircraft parked in the open, and bunkers."

It is the tremendous Overpressure front, traveling in excess of 3 km per second for the larger models, which flattens everything in the immediate blast area and rendering tremendous amounts of damage to anything even remotely close to it.  In the open or against civilian targets, the Fireball is almost of an inconsequential effect to the immediate blast area as anything close enough to be incinerated will have already been absolutly battered.   Personel in protected positions will suffere tremendous internal damage (any body part that contains air or open spaces taking the brunt of the force)  the effect being magnified by being inside hardened facilites, Bunkers, Troop Transports, Body Armor as the rigid nature of the structures acts as a force channeling device. 

Thermobaric weapons, FAE's designed and tasked to be used against cave systems and hardened facilities have a two pronged use.  The primary blast creates a shockwave that travels down the enclosed cave systems crushing and battering everything inside.   Much like a pop-gun will shoot a cork out one end the shockwave will smash into anything not nailed down but unlike the pop-gun the cork (personell) have only more cave system to crash into and not open air.  The secondary effect the FAE device has is the consumption of all the oxygen in the area of the blast effect.  Combine that with the resultant vacuum from such a tremendous explosion, any remaining survivors inside the caves ( if not pulled right back out of the earthworks) will be asphyxiated when the atmosphere retreats to fill the hole left by the rapidly expanding explosion at the entrace to the cave.

-PFC joe
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 06:35:00 AM by PFC joe »
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 06:32:50 AM »
Oh, you can always count on the Russians selling it to everybody with hard cash.

Russians and the French.  Two of the five permanant seats on the UN Security Council.  The only thing limiting wider distribution of the  Thermobaric (FAE) Grenade TBG-7V is the scarcity of production facilites, given it's slightly newer and only moderately more difficult to produce inner workings. 

Given it's incredible destructive potential, as far as man portable weapons nothing comes even close to this thing, the short supply is probably a good thing.  That and the majority of the instruction booklets that warn of the need to recallibrate sights for the heavier round to prevent short rounds into friendly positions are in Russian.

-PFC joe

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005, 07:29:13 AM »
Rather than drag this out endlessly I'll agree to disagree with you.

I will also grudingly admit that as bad as the Russians and French (and Chinese-they make great knock-offs) are at selling weapons, the world is filled with weapons marked "Made in the U.S.A.".  Just ask the Iranians where their Tomcats came from.

I don't know of any open contracts with Capitol yet though.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 07:50:01 AM by Veez »
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2005, 07:59:25 AM »
The only reason I even argued was becuase I was under the impression that the SMAW-NE used a powdered mettalic fuel then a secondary ignitor charge  ??? It's been described as an explosive ignited mixture in the few reviews of it that I've been able to get ahold of.  problematicaly, I've not gotten to play with one of these yet =(

-PFC joe

addition:  wow  They want to make a 40MM version of these that ignite when proper disperal/oxidation takes place.  and then scale down to the 20mm lazer tag future gun setup....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 08:04:58 AM by PFC joe »

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 11:41:55 AM »
The primary destructive effect of a FAE weapon is not the fireball.   The first paragraph in the FAS.org link  provided by Veez states,

"The rapidly expanding wave front due to overpressure flattens all objects within close proximity of the epicenter of the aerosol fuel cloud, and produces debilitating damage well beyond the flattened area. The main destructive force of FAE is high overpressure, useful against soft targets such as minefields, armored vehicles, aircraft parked in the open, and bunkers."

-PFC joe

Not to mention people.  :o

I wouldn't want to be inside a cave (or nay enclosed space) when one of these bad boys goes off.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba