Author Topic: Giving Orders?  (Read 14685 times)

Offline mlnunn

Giving Orders?
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:43:15 PM »
Ok am I missing the boat on this or what...

Giving an order means an individual can give an order and members of another war band can activate and take a turn.  Which brings me to this question, can an individual be part of a warband? 

Asking the easy questions first...

Michael
You have never lived 'til you've almost died.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
Re: Giving Orders?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »
Individuals within 4" of a warband are part of the warband.

This means...

...for ranged combat, you can only shoot at the Individual if it is the nearest or easiest to hit model in LOS.

...the Warband can use the (higher) LD of the Individual for morale and fear rolls etc.

But as far as I understand your question, one Individual can only give orders to a warband or another individual ( if that individual has lower LD than the one giving orders). A warband having been given orders will activate, but not the individual that has been part of the warband for the above stated reasons.

As I haven'T played in a year, it may be that my understanding of the rules has been reduced a bit...and i was too lazy to find my rulebook... ;)
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 05:24:22 AM »
You can pull off that cascading effect if: 1. The first individual gives orders to the second individual, then the second individual orders the squad.  2.  Your first individual will have to have higher LD than your second individual, but the second indidual, so long as it's got commanding presence, can give orders to the squad, even if his/her LD is lower than the squad. 

When the dice go your way, it can be a nice move.  I've seen it crap out too. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:01:50 AM »
You can pull off that cascading effect if: 1. The first individual gives orders to the second individual, then the second individual orders the squad.  2.  Your first individual will have to have higher LD than your second individual, but the second indidual, so long as it's got commanding presence, can give orders to the squad, even if his/her LD is lower than the squad. 

When the dice go your way, it can be a nice move.  I've seen it crap out too. 

weird this comes up, i was thinking about it last night, i have a couple scenarios i need some input on

My lotus eater uses his commanding presence to Order my crystal knight to attack an individual:  now, my understanding is my lotus eater then finishes his turn:  crystal knight then activates, hacks something twice doesnt kill them, then gives orders to one of my warbands.  The warband activates and carries out his orders. 

I think the above is correct.  but if the below happens

lotus eater orders CK, CK orders warband to attack and kill repulsar knight, then CK attacks the repulsar and kills him, (evidently a previously wounded repulsar,)  then my warband activates or does it lose its turn as its object is gone?  or do you merely give the order to activate??/

same as above, but CK doesnt kill the repulsar, my warband activates and kills the repulsar and still has actions left, what does it do?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:50:22 AM »
There's no specific order to follow as you illustrate.  The individual commands, finishes his remaining actions, and then the unit activates.  They simply activate.

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:08:56 AM »
got it , it makes sense and is simple.  thanks much

Offline mlnunn

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »
Tha clears it up for me as well.    You can move, attack and if the target is still there order your squad to comence to hacking as well!  (if you have 3 actions). 

Thanks...  more questions to follow...
You have never lived 'til you've almost died.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 03:05:11 AM »
I just reread some things...

After you gave orders to a warband or individual, they will activate after you have finished your turn with the one giving orders.

As far as i know, you can't give orders when in base-to-base contact. so you have to break away or give orders before you attack another model...
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:11:43 AM »
Glad you brought that up.  By the rules, the only thing you can do in CC are attack actions.  It seems a common house rule that I found my crew is not the only one playing, is that the individual in the middle of a squad, where he and they are locked in CC with the enemy, we play where the Individual can command the unit to activate, at the cost of an action as usual.  Basically the idea is "Sic'em boys!!"

By the book this is not permissible, but a lot of people play this in their home games, and if you and your opponents agree to it, then play it and enjoy.  It hasn't broken the game for us and seems natural that this command to "ATTACK!!" is not so complicated or far fetched. 

Again, by the rules, you cannot give orders, so take this for a fun house rule, and not a rules arguement. 

Cheers.

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:01:25 AM »
I just reread some things...

After you gave orders to a warband or individual, they will activate after you have finished your turn with the one giving orders.

As far as i know, you can't give orders when in base-to-base contact. so you have to break away or give orders before you attack another model...

or kill the model, then give orders if you have an action left i assume, it doesnt say giving orders has to be your first action

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »
Yup.  By the letter of the rules, that's how you're supposed to do it; free up your individual, then give orders.  Just hope you don't twenty out!!   :D

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 11:35:27 AM »
Yup.  By the letter of the rules, that's how you're supposed to do it; free up your individual, then give orders.  Just hope you don't twenty out!!   :D

that gives good guidance, always use your "give orders" last, that way if you do 20 out, you havent lost much

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
If you twenty out in your combat actions, and are stuck in CC, by the letter of the rules, you can't give orders.....

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 06:29:48 AM »
if you 20 out you lose all remaining actions that turn, so  you couldnt give orders, so there is a bit of strategy involved there.  last game i played i rolled 3-4 20's on my individuals, very frustrating

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 07:17:17 AM »
The worst example I've seen was when my friend Dalton rolled SEVENTEEN TWENTYS in one game.  That was spectacular for me!!