Author Topic: Warrior of the Sun  (Read 5500 times)

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Warrior of the Sun
« on: June 26, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »
For Helios there is an indv that " Once per turn by spending 1 action may produce a flame strike. Every model within 2" of the Warrior is automatically hit with a damage 12 flame attack."

Now the question. A sityuation arose where the warrior was in CC with a model. My opponent used the flame strike to kill the model in CC with him and one other model. IMO since he was in CC the warrior should have hit himself as well. If the model wasnt in base to base I can understand it not effecting the warrior but in CC I think it should have. Any thoughts?
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: Warrior of the Sun
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:27:52 PM »
For Helios there is an indv that " Once per turn by spending 1 action may produce a flame strike. Every model within 2" of the Warrior is automatically hit with a damage 12 flame attack."

Now the question. A sityuation arose where the warrior was in CC with a model. My opponent used the flame strike to kill the model in CC with him and one other model. IMO since he was in CC the warrior should have hit himself as well. If the model wasnt in base to base I can understand it not effecting the warrior but in CC I think it should have. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking that he might be immune to his own flames...  And I don't play elves.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:33:27 PM »
He is not immune to fire.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 03:05:11 PM »
Hello.

I would say no, the fire effect is radiating out from the Warrior of the sun. He is the source of the flame and really with a two inch radius the ability kinda has to used in close combat.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »
Hello.

I would say no, the fire effect is radiating out from the Warrior of the sun. He is the source of the flame and really with a two inch radius the ability kinda has to used in close combat.

wmeredith.
Thats not true. It can be used defensively. If you have a screen of units around you that get killed and the attacking unit has no more actions to get to the warrior, then its used to attack multiple targets. Due to the nature of CC I dont see how it can hit a unit in CC with him and not affect him as well. If everyone agrees that it doesnt Ill go with that but it doent make sense to me.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »
Hello.

How is it not true, his bow attack is mediocre at best. He has to close to use the ability and with closing, he will get into close combat. His flame strike ability is not for defense it is for clearing out groups of enemies he is fighting.

wmeredith.

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 04:15:15 PM »
You stated that it kinda has to be used in CC. I pointed out that it doesnt have to. If it was solely a CC weapon it wouldnt need a 2" radius. Saying " The flames affects all models in base to base with the warrior".  Would have been sufficient.
I dont agree with the fact that he can use it in CC without damaging himself. If a template weapon is fired into CC it hits both models " due to the nature of CC" So I dont see how this is different. If you had to use a teplate to show the effect, with it centered on the model being attacked, you would hit the warrior as well.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »
Hello.

I didn't say it was a close combat weapon I said it was a special ability that could be used in close combat. The Warrior of the Sun is part of the radius of the attack it radiates FROM him outward. Saying he couldn't use his own special ability in close combat nullifies part of what you pay for him , PC wise he is 80. Compare him to the crystal knight -1 CC -1 ST -2 armor for 8 more PC. The Chrystal knight is meant to support other units as well as be a combatant. The Warrior of the Sun is meant to be a close combat crowd clearer.

wmeredith

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 08:50:16 PM »
I agree with wmeredith on this one.  Its really the only way it could work, especialy for its point cost.  His CC damage is the same as a regular swordsman, same for the bow, and since they are both fire-based, then anything that is immune to fire-based would be immune to their dam.

I also think that he should be immune to fire-based attacks like all the other House Helios Ind. are.  That would solve your problem nicely.   IMO this was an editing mistake, and he is immune.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143