Author Topic: Tanks?  (Read 39794 times)

Offline Goldwyrm

• Journeyman
Re: Tanks?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 07:31:23 AM »
Well I'll start out by saying that I own 2 Grizzly tanks..

While they have no place in a tournament setting, BA Vehicles can be useful for terrain objectives and special scenarios. 

Offline Shidoshi357

• Journeyman
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 07:43:42 AM »
If you add tanks to UWZ, besides stats you also have to add a new set rules for tanks.  ie. tankshock(morale purposes), can tanks run over models, treaded vehicle restrictions, 360 degree firing arch?  It opens a huge can of worms(rules) to be added.  Then players are going to ask for more antitank weapons, which could spawn a new expansion for the game.  If tanks were to be added I don't see it happening anytime soon. :-[
'Oh, Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou
mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.

Trencher

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 10:07:25 AM »
I think that they should concentrate on bringing out all the infantry troops first.
Then light recon venchiles, then armoured personell carriers and then light tanks.
After all if the Dork legion can have biogigants and those big red things I don't remember the name of right now the corps can have tanks.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 12:23:17 PM »
Pretorian Behemoth.  And tanks are still slightly outta scope.  AFV's are at least much more vulnerable to small arms fire than tanks, which would again require all too much rebalancing of force lists to the point that it just devolves into GW style tit-for-tat.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 08:47:38 PM »
I gotta sign aboard with the new minority.  I think tanks would be fantastic.  That said I think it would have to be some sort of mutual agreement or at least prior warning.

I would love to have a Grizzly or Black Widow (know any sellers?).  I scratch-built a Capitol Desert Fox years ago.  It needs some minor repair work but she's functional (mostly). 

APC's are fine for regular play as long as they live up to being light skinned with a machine gun and not fifty billion heat-seeking death machine add-ons that all seem to be available in a universe where no one knows how to turn on a light switch without castign some sort of auger.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 08:51:42 PM »
APC's are fine for regular play as long as they live up to being light skinned with a machine gun and not fifty billion heat-seeking death machine add-ons that all seem to be available in a universe where no one knows how to turn on a light switch without castign some sort of auger.

;D ROTFLMAO  ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Mojarn Piett

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 10:26:27 PM »
I, too,  am of the treadheaded minority. Give me Grizzlies, Bauhaus Bullies and Montanas anytime.  8) And how about Tatsu Gigameks...?  ::)  ;D

That said, I do think they would need their own supplement where a complete range of AT weapons & stuff for each corporation would also be listed. That way the whole package could be used or left out by players as desired.

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 11:21:35 PM »
There have been some engagements where it's been just a small force that's gone up against a tank before. I'm not saying load the game up with Gulf-War style tank battles but I wouldn't mind at least one APV/faction ('cept maybe the ToE), maybe even a lighter non-transport tank (I'm not very good with military terminology). The biggest problem would be with toughness, as most weapons in UWZ are LMGs HMGs and while I may not be that fluent in the specifics of ground combat I don't recall hearing about an LMG or HMG penetrating the hull of a tank. So they should either be jacked up in points or not included at all. Argument came full circle? That's 'cause I'm tired and have been arguing at school all day.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 11:33:16 PM »

small arms fire can not defeat a tank.

small arms fire can defeat optics and sensors, exposed engine access, treads and tracks, crew egress points and unbuttoned commanders/drivers.

But damned if i would want to be the poor SoB that has to do that with anything shoulder fired

-PFC joe

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 11:51:53 PM »
Maybe it's good I'm not in any army.

"Kay, guys I'm gonna get that...Not so transport-ish tank!"

"Rabbit are you nuts? All you have is an LMG and a replica of the one ring around your neck!"

"yah, I was thinkin' with the ring I'd be invisible..."

Offline Mojarn Piett

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 11:53:04 PM »
Steel Rabbit, I don't completely understand what you mean.  What should be jacked up in points or not included? AT weapons? ???

And you are entirely correct that small arms do NOT penetrate the armor of a serious armored fighting vehicle.

PFC_joe is right in that there are vulnerable parts even in Main Battle Tanks and I'd add comms equipment (i.e. antennas) to the list. Also, smoke grenades & such stuff can blind tanks. However, can small arms _really_ hurt tracks? I can see that a lucky bullet wedged between two track links could, in theory, break a treadbolt (or whatever the official term is) and thus cut the track but it would be one lucky shot.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 12:01:38 AM »
most modern MBT's have optics that effectively nullify smoke and debris and good luck shootin antenna's off, though you might be able to nail the commo cluster.  it's not so much damagin the tracks as damaging the wheel/gear assemblies, moving parts don't take too kindly to sudden kinetic force much like my gf learned when she wouldn't stop talking through Lost's season premiere.

-PFC joe

note: no girlfriends were harmed during the posturing in this post
note addendum:  we were actually at a concert during Lost, i'm downloading it now

Offline Mojarn Piett

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 12:25:04 AM »
There are "special" smokescreens out there which can defeat thermal imaging & such things.

As for the antennas, I agree that HE rounds, cluster weapons and stuff like that have the best chance of eliminating them. It would be hard to do with a machinegun. But  the optics too are hard to hit and the prisms are somewhat more durable than average glass.  ;)

But the wheels of tanks are designed  to withstand amall arms fire so I wish equally good luck trying to shoot 'em off with an assault rifle.  ;D

However, one thing any tank rules should take into account is the limited visibility from a tank when it is buttoned. Even with the modern gadgets a buttoned tank has a hard time in dense terrain.

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2005, 12:50:08 AM »
Well i hope there wont be any Tanks come out soon  ;)

I still dont understand the reason for having tanks in an infantry skimish game other than to totaly debalance the whole system. I play WZ since 8 years and never had the feeling that tanks would improve my games and scenarios  :)
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline Mojarn Piett

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 02:19:51 AM »
I could try to explain, but it wouldn't help any as it is a matter of taste. Either you have "it" or you don't.  :)

Me, I hope armorcast DOES make tanks in the not too distant future.