Author Topic: Painting a metallic Dragonbane  (Read 7144 times)

Offline Jase

Painting a metallic Dragonbane
« on: June 24, 2007, 03:37:29 AM »
The person I am painting a Crystal Lotus Elf army for (41 models, just 14 left to paint) wants the Dragonbane painted a bronze metal flesh colour. Odd, considering the cold colours I've used for the elves, but guess it will stand out. I'm using Vallejos for the majority of my painting, so have based with Tinny Tin (Tin bitz equiv), no am stuck on how to highlight this. Any one got any ideas? Maybe combining the Tin colour with silver to lighten up, or perhaps a slight gold would work better?

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
Re: Painting a metallic Dragonbane
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:42:42 AM »
Hello.

Hi Jase you could try a gold highlight, which will stand out really well. Once painted a D&D Solar with Elf Flesh the washed him with watered down bronze and used gold to high lite. Sounds odd but it looked good.

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Jase

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »
Thanks, shall try the gold and see how it turns out.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Jase

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
Just recapping on the post.

The Gold highlight worked well on the lizard, and will be doing the same with the two Dragonbane Skyriders I'm a quarter of a way through.

So far for this army I have painted -

2 Lotus Eaters (Silver and Blue)
2 Crystal Knights
1 Dragonbane knight
2 Archer Warbands (ldr, 5 Archers)
2 Swordsmen Warbands (ldr, Vorpal Swordsman, 4 Swords; paint pending on 2 more swords to add the warbands)
1 Dream Warriors Warband (ldr, 4 Warriors)
1 Spearman Warband (ldr, std, 8 spears)
1 Axemen Warband (ldr, std, axemaster, 5 axes)

What's left - the 2 Flying dragonbane, 2 extra swordsmen and a Lotus Guard Warband (ldr, std, 4 Guard; basically conversions of Axemen with two swords added).

The scheme I've used is silver for the armour and weaponheads, light blues for the troops' tabards, turqouise for banners and shield faces, and gold to break it up a little. Bases have been painted light blue-grey and flocked with a modelling snow effect. The individuals are slightly different to make them stand out a bit. Lotus Guard I am thinking of something a little more showy, to display their elite status.

I've worked on this army at work through my lunchbreak, and an hour or two after work.

Once Completed, I will get some photos taken to post here.

Jase

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »
Sounds great my man.  I would love to see pics.  I wish Troy would get a Crystal knight.  He usually subs a Swordsman which is OK, but I do like the fig.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:39:40 AM »
Pics would rock.  Whenever you can post'em.  Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 12:35:08 AM »
 Yes pictures would be cool.Francesco is working on some Lotus Guards by the way.

Offline Jase

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:37:09 AM »
Yep, I saw the greens on them, they're looking good. Shall order them when available. I'm currently waiting on an order with Rattlehead for a few of Francesco' s figures for my own armies.

Next in the paint production is a Bauhaus Saglielli force (about 50% of this army is completed already).

Jase

Offline Jase

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 06:41:45 AM »
These elves are finished finally - all 62 figures. The Lotus guard warband was painted with a few differencese to show off their elite status.

Chaimail, swords, plate armour - I still used the Chainmail/Blue Ink/ Mithril Silver combo, but with the deeper curves of the Axemen armour I based these on, it allowed me to get a deep blue in the recesses with Mithril silver drybrushed to the the edging.

Sporran - I don't know what you call that thing covering the elves' tabard, but it looks cumbersome. Instead of the gold I used on other minis, I painted with mithril silver and used blue ink to accentuate

Tabard - The surcoat/tabard was painted with Turquouise instead of the light blue on the other elves

Standard Banner - Again different colour was used, I painted with light blue rather than turquoise

Leather - Standard as the rest of the army, an earth tone that was also inked over with brown ink

Sporran Gem - the gems and ornaments where painted to be amethyst, as opposed to the blue gem I used on the rest. I used a two tone gem painting variation with a Royal purple as a base,  then royal purple with a little white paint mixed in. A small white spot added at the top of the gem, then painted with a gloss varnish.

Base - painted per other models.

I think these came up well, A pretty good table top standard I feel. Please bear with me I hope to have photos done for them soon.

Jase

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 11:13:53 AM »
I know it's not always easy to do but PICS!

PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! ;D
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 12:14:02 PM »
I know it's not always easy to do but PICS!

PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! PICS! ;D

Hale Yeah!!!!!  What Veez said.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Jase

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 05:08:13 PM »
Never fear, I will deliver pics. Just need to get my hands on a decent camera. Next year I will supply pictures.

Jase