Author Topic: guys on beasts  (Read 6398 times)

Offline kwegibu

guys on beasts
« on: November 05, 2005, 09:03:58 AM »
guys and their beast mounts use their actions together right? For instance, the cossack beast can't attack three times, and then its rider attack three times? It just seems odd that stuff like WD and AR gets a "-" but then actions doesn't - so maybe my group has been playing them wrong - which is pretty crazy because mounted units can already move nine million inches if they could then spend more actions once they get there that'd be crazy.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: guys on beasts
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 10:12:26 AM »
I may be wrong (like that's never happened, before ;)), but I believe that beast can attack when charging, like any other model that gets the bonus of attack with movement in a charge.

Therefore, in CC, the beast would be allowed to attack.  If the beast did not move, it would be allowed to attack, as would it's rider, I believe.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 11:34:53 AM »
Well, i know the beast can attack on a charge - it explicitly says so in the special rules section of some of the tribes of earth mounted dudes.

The question isn't whether they are both able to attack, but if they can both spend seperate actions to attack. So does the model get a combined 6 actions (where the beast attacks three times and dude attacks three times) or do they get 3 actions between them and you decide who to attack with with each action.

If you look at the stat lines it provides "-"'s to things like WD and AR for the beast - implying they are non applicable and are shared with the rider. However, both statlines say 3 actions. I've effectivly always played as if there was a "-" in the AC statline of the beast too. My question is, is that wrong?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 12:00:48 PM »
yes, mounts get any attacks in CC they would normally get.

ie the Hinko mounts only get the Charge CC attack while the Venusian Mount may attackwith all 3 Actions.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 01:43:05 PM »
ok, im still not sure my question is answered. this scenario should clear it all up:

you got a Cossack Scout.

The Rivet Bull Scout moves 15 inches with it's 3 actions. Then can the Cossack Scout take 3 shots with his sniper rifle with his three actions. Is that the proper way to play?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 01:45:34 PM »
no.   They spend their activations simultaniously, like a vehicle.

-PFC joe

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 10:49:20 PM »
no.   They spend their activations simultaniously, like a vehicle.

-PFC joe

Thanks that was really what I was looking for. Fortunatly, that's how we have always played it. Guess I asked that question in a really long winded kind of way. Hehe.

Offline Pietia

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 01:20:25 AM »
Joe, I guess that this needs addtional clarification - if you say "like a vehicle", some people may understand it this way: repeat (rivet bull moves, cossack shoots) 3 times. AFAIR on the previous forum Thom (or somebody from the FAQ team) explained that, when the mount moves the rider spends his action just "hanging on" the mount, and the only situation in which the mount and rider really do something together is CC (both the mount and rider attack).

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 12:48:57 PM »
Correct, Pietia...if the beast does not move, the rider may act (shoot, whatever), but, if the beast moves, the riders AC is spent controlling it.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 01:23:12 PM »
Ok, so they use there actions together, except when in cc, then they both get to use their actions to attack? Now I am looking at a Bushido Dragon rider. These guy's are pretty confusing. You can only use the Naginata during a charge. You can also only use the headbud during a charge. But why would you ever use the headbud instead of the naginata when it is less likely to hit and does less damage? So in the case of the bushido dragonriders, i am assuming that if you are three inches away from an opponet when you begin your turn then you can get 6 attacks off. On the charge you get the headbud from the dragon rider and your naginata (but it precludes secondary attack, so no seconday attack with the katana on the charge),  then your next two actions you use with the katana and secondary attack.

AS for the cossacks, they generally make sense; you would want to use the beast in cc and the dragonrider in RC.

I think putting all the information in one statline would have made things simpler. then just a special rule note about the mount attacking.

Note: The first sentence of this is what i thought was implied by a previous post but by the end of it I disagreed with it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 01:27:51 PM by kwegibu »

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 04:04:55 PM »
In CC both the rider and the mount get to use their CC attacks.

The Hinko Dragon can only attack on a charge and the Naginata can only be used on a Charge.  They both still get their individual attacks though. 

SO on a Charge the Hinko Headbutt and the Naginata (you'd be better off using the Katanas) can both be used.