Author Topic: Why do you play the army(ies) that you do?  (Read 7603 times)

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
Why do you play the army(ies) that you do?
« on: October 30, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »
I play Capitol, mostly because I really dig the lemon squeezer hats of the Light Infantry and the Rangers, and that they have no Channeling units (I often forget to use magic in TT games).  They're lack of CC troops also gives them more of a contemporary feel. (Although I love Sunset Strikers, go fig')

"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline LAWwaldo

Re: Why do you play the army(ies) that you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 04:50:45 PM »
I actually play several armies for different reasons.  I like my Capital because of the more modern feel to them along with the tactics I use with them.  Imperial has this "death and glory" thing going on in my head, with the trenchers moving forth and providing covering fire for the charging Wolfbanes. Then Ilian is just fun to pull out when I want to do strange stuff, like have teleporting units which can always give people headaches.
"Life is tough; it's even tougher when your stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 05:53:34 PM »
I've actually started putting together a small Bauhaus army (partially because I like them, partially so I'll have a 2nd force to demo to my friends) since I saw the Jungle Kommandos, and I was like, "Dude! Rotary Shotguns!"
So i've got abour 2 squads of them, 4 squads of plastic DM, and a squad of Dragoons (who look damn cool).

As far as Imperial goes, I love the look of the Trenchers, so it's only a mater of time before I get some of those.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 01:54:12 AM »
I've got about one of everything Army wise except for Tribes.  Got out of those a long time ago when I was downsizing and just have not forced myself back in.  I had a vision at one point of running the MC RPG and running the battles with WZ.  UWZ is much closer I think and would probably run smoother.  Now I just need to find a group willing to play, oh yes and time.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 09:53:17 AM »
Why do I play brotherhood?

The brotherhood is a beacon of light in the mutant chronicles universe. It pulled humanity out of the darkness which had swept over it after the first seal of repulsion was broken; uniting mankind against the forces of the Dark Legion despite the Dark Soul's best attempts to pry them apart.

As the events of the first comming of Darkness drifted into the past and the people lost faith, and thus the brotherhood lost power, they never gave up. When history started to repeat itself, only the Brotherhood was willing to accept the signs of the returning darkness.

The Brotherhood are also not fooled by Cybertronic like the rest of the corporations (except for the noble houses of Imperial) and recognize it for the manifestation of the Dark Soul that it is.

Mishima are heathens. Bahaus and Capitol are bland. Imperial is crazy. Cartel is to limited. DL is evil.

Plus, BH piece's look the coolest.

Over all, I'd have to say this is the order of who like to play:

1) Brotherhood
2) Mishima | Dark Legion
3) Cybertronic | Imperial
4) Cartel
5) Bahaus
6) Capitol

I know I completely skipped TOE, but that's because I am not familiar with them in UWZ.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 05:28:13 PM »
to be honest, I started playing the first 2 armies I own, Capitol and Imperial, because someone gave them to me (not all that I own now, but the beginnings).  I play Imperial more because of the versatility of the army.  If I want to play a smash mouth HTH force, I can (Wolfbanes to the left of me, Wolfbairn to the right), and likewise if I want to go shooty.  I also like the variety of Special Forces troops.

Lately, I've been collecting a Mishima force.  I haven't decided exactly where I want to go with it yet, but I'll figure it out.

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 09:40:40 AM »
I play Capitol because of their modern feel and also because of their American feel. I also play Cybertronic because I like the cyberpunk look and the advanced weaponry and technology (even if I'm on the fence about AI in real life, but that's why the game's fantasy!).

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 11:00:25 AM »
I play Cartel for 3 reasons.

1. Men in Black with Kung fu action.
2. peace keepers, best damn grunts in the game.
3. snipers.

Though I most say certain Dark Legion list is calling to me lately.

-steve
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 05:37:17 PM »

Though I most say certain Dark Legion list is calling to me lately.

-steve

You have no idea the power of the dark side of the force

B.
It seemed appropriate because of the day
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Enker

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 10:25:46 PM »
I play Capitol, because they had the coolest Special Forces in first Edition Source Book.
Free Marines in first Edition and the Banshee Hero were my fav.
So I bought the minis and never changed the Coorporation.
Now in UWZ I like the new minis very much and the ranged combat strukture of the army.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline WarlordtheFT

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 09:57:57 AM »
I have three armies, Cybertronic, Bahaus and Brotherhood. Cybers are my favorite, and suite the tactics I like to employ very well, that and Machinators MK1 rock!. The brother hood, mainly to field Valkeries, or the Fury  (that and they make a good force for my cybers to fight if my opponent doesn't have an army yet).

Bahaus is sort of low on my upgrade list as I got into them as an alternative to the drug crazed cybertronic of 2nd ed WZ.  Once the AI's returned in UWZ, the cybers became my favorite again. That is not to say I don't like bahaus anymore, I just haven't used them much.  They are also a good corp to have to compete with the cybers.

Note that I have two strike skimmers, 6 Vulkans, and 7 Mounted hussars (including Emholtz).
435th AI Assault Regiment "Disposable Heroes"
Cybertronic

Offline Daikoku

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 04:50:05 AM »
I play Mishima mostly and here's why.

I'm a Nipponophile, that and the whole Megacorp thing is a very Anime/Cyberpunk construct.  I owned a couple of squads of the figures before I ever played WZ and decided that since I was already started with Mishima I'd continue headlong.   Once I had the rulebook I was even happier with my decision and built a large Lord Heir Moya force.  The fact that they are one of the most difficult armies to play well only keeps me interested in using them.  I'm also VERY fluff driven in my force compositons with them (would never field more than one squad of 2 Nagano Shadow Walkers for instance).

My second favorite force is Crecentians.

If anything, this tribe is more gonzo banzai than Mishima Corp.  Units that are not affected by morale, suicide bombers, and a generally bleak outlook make for fun times on the warzone.  Not to mention the prophet is kickass.

I also have a Bauhaus force, mainly house Romanov.

They're for when I want a more 'conventional' army and for when I want to demo for new people.  The basic shooty army quality makes them a better choice than Mishima or a Tribe.  And sometimes I like to play a shooty army too.  That and the picklehaub helmets are the coolest.

Other than that I do own a sizeable number of Imperial models, haven't picked a clan yet but there are plenty of trenchers, wolfbairn, and blood berets.  They're mostly for use when I demo the game to new people though I may still flesh out the spec forces when I get around to finally painting up the other half of them.
Life is a mountain, death is a feather, duty is all  -  Mishiman Proverb

Offline Crusader

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 07:40:54 PM »
Mishima..

Samurai in space :) what more can I say.

Yes, I like the Manga style mega-corp feel of them and the Fluff behind them..

Now, I just need to find a better fist for my Mecha...

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 08:18:44 PM »
I play a few armies.

I play Bauhaus a lot.  I play it for two reasons.

First, it was the first army I built, having purchased the 2nd Edition boxed set.  I also bought some Imperial boxed sets when I bought some Bauhaus boxed sets, but I knew I was buying those for whomever I would play. I really enjoyed the look and feel of the army, and they were fun to paint and put on the board.

Secondly, the more I played the army, the more I learned its weaknesses and strangths.  It was happy coincidence that it matched my style of how I feel I should fight in order to win.  When I collected even more models (Vulkans, Dragoons, Hussars, Pauldrons, etc.) I gave myself choices to keep my enemies guessing as to what I'd bring to the battle.  Since I started playing this game, I have been very successful playing Bauhaus.  I don't know if I einvented the Vulkan Army of Doom, but I raised to a height that had some vowing never to play it due to its inherent "cheesiness" (for 1000 PC, I can field 16 Vulkans, and still have a couple points left - ;)).  To this day, I get challenges to fight it.  In most of the armies I field, I usually have a squad of Vulkans.  They out and out rock!  They have few weaknesses, and spew death with every shot (2 per AC at LR!).  The Strike Skimmer with two Strike Kommandos riding outrigger is another favorite of mine.  Currently, I own:
  • Sizeable Militia including RL Specs, a Medic, and, obviously, the HMG Specs
  • Enough Dragoons to field two full squads with any combo of specs (I helped create the Dragoon Sniper model)
  • Enough Hussars to field two full squads with any combo of specs
  • Enough Pauldron Hussars to field two full squads with any combo of specs
  • Max Steiner, Valerie Duval, Kommandant, Haupt Kaptain von Juntz, Wolfe, two Dragoon Kaptains, two Hussar Kaptains
  • Enough Venusian Rangers to field two full squads with any combo of specs, along with two Kaptains and one Marshall
  • 6 Vulkans (actually owned 10, at one point, for the VAoD), 4 Viktors incuding the RLP
  • A full squad of Jaegers
  • A boxed set of Blitzers, and a small squad of Romanov Blitzers with two FT Specs and an RL Spec
  • Two Skimmers

I think that that covers it... :)

Lately, I have been playing Dark Legion Cult forces, usually with a Behemoth, a Technomancer or two, a Supreme Necromagus with a Razide kicker, a Reaper of Souls, and a few squads of Initiates and Acolytes.  Woe to those that get too close to the Behemoth.  4" reach in CC, plus Sweep and Secondary Attack!  With 24 AR and 8 - yes, 8 - WD!  Well worth the 158(?) PC.

And, just to keep my enemies on their toes, I'll whip out the occassional Imperial force complete with Trenchers and either Para-Deployers or Infiltrators, and a Stinger Hurricane (AP Residual Rockets - oh, my!)

As I am slowly collecting models from all other factions, it is merely a matter of time before I have at least 1000 PC of everything.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 08:35:15 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Spagg

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 08:16:51 AM »
I play DL (Ilian and Algeroth) and Cybertronic. The main reason I play these armies is the fluff and minis. I really enjoy the stories behind these armies and I think they have some great sculpts to choose from. With that said, yes there will be additional armies added to my list eventually!!