Author Topic: Golden Panthers  (Read 13660 times)

Offline Firefly

Golden Panthers
« on: October 27, 2005, 09:19:35 AM »
Here are some pictures of my Golden Panther Squad.  The paint scheme is based off of the old source books from first edition Warzone.  I'm not sure which one it is... Dawn of War I think... don't hold me to that though...

Sniper

Close-up

Squad

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Golden Panthers
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 10:09:04 AM »
Those are some sharp, clean lookin models.  I wish that mine could turnout thatimpressive.  Kudos!

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Firefly

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 01:29:42 PM »
Thanks Joe.  I've recently discovered the joys of Photobucket.com!   :o

This might be the inspiration I need to start working on the rest of my Imperials...

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 01:35:50 PM »
i especially approve of the lack of mettalic paints on the model.  I've recently started using grays and gray highlihgts formy weapons/armor and personally feel that it gives it a much more refined look.

-PFC joe

Offline Firefly

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 01:41:55 PM »
Sorry Joe, I have to come clean... The plate above the front grip is done in gray, but the rest of the weapon is done using Reaper Pro Paints: Gunmetal.  This color is really nice, it is metallic, but very flat.  Doesn't give off the traditional "shine" of most companies' gunmetal paints.  I highly recommend it.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 02:52:30 PM »
really!  I'm deffinatly going to have to look into that.  I'm so tired of Bolter gray or whatever that dish scour nonsense is.  thanks for the info

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 04:35:49 PM »
Wow...they look great!  Nice work!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 06:59:04 PM »
Sorry Joe, I have to come clean... The plate above the front grip is done in gray, but the rest of the weapon is done using Reaper Pro Paints: Gunmetal.  This color is really nice, it is metallic, but very flat.  Doesn't give off the traditional "shine" of most companies' gunmetal paints.  I highly recommend it.

that Gunmetal paint by Reaper is a good color.  I use it a lot on models when I am tryingt o get a realistic metallic paint on something, like a gun for example.  I used it on my Imperial Hurricane Walker and it came out great.

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Firefly

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 04:44:17 AM »
See Joe, what more do you need... I hope you picked some of that paint up last night and got working with it.

Offline Rorik36

• Journeyman
  • Michigan Crusader
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 07:37:09 AM »
Wow.  Great job.
---------------------------------------------------------
Rules are only useful to tell you what your opponent won't do. - Casey and Andy

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 04:55:07 AM »
Great Job also 1 of my favorite Imperial squads.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Firefly

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 05:41:00 AM »
With the present line of Special Forces figures you are kind of limited with what squads you can build.  I felt that the Golden Panthers would be an easy one to put together with the existing line of figures.  Some of the other units would require way to much conversion for my tastes.

Waiting in the wings I've got squads of Golden Lions, Dunsirn Hunters, and Loughton Rams that are primed.  I'm not sure which one I'll do next.  Probably the Rams as that squad isn't nearly as big as the others.   ;)  I really need to start working on my Regulars though...

Offline Crusader

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 07:35:13 PM »
Hey, well done. nice, neat and very effective.

Offline badmojo451

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 06:04:51 PM »
Very nicely done.  How did you make the sniper rifle?
morpheus

Offline Firefly

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 08:38:56 PM »
Very nicely done.  How did you make the sniper rifle?

Thanks

The only real change to the figure was to clip off the drum just behind his left hand and to clip off the bayonet.
   -The scope is from the GW Space Marine sprue.  There are lots of good pieces on these sprues, you should chat up a GW fanboy and see if they want to part with them.
   -The folding stock is from the back of a GW Boltgun.  Two generations of space marines prior to the current ones used to have metal bodies, plastic arms, and plastic shoulder pads.  This generation of space marine had a bolter with a stock... of course the stock always had to be clipped off to make the gun fit right.
   -The silencer/flash suppressor is built from sprue bits off of the 40mm round GW bases.

I've got two snipers for my Dunsirn Hunter squad that I built the same way.  The only difference with these two is that I extended the barrel and didn't put a flash suppressor/silencer on their rifles.