Author Topic: Best Capitol Elite Squad  (Read 12181 times)

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Re: Best Capitol Elite Squad
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 12:02:04 PM »
I have to say Sunset Strikers. The have a decent RC and with mv 4 can cover alot of ground. The flamer is nasty as an area denial unit and the  LMG gives you some Hvy firepower in short spurts. Theyre arent many units in the game that can stand with them in CC < both off of wait and with a charge.> I almost never field a capitol force without at least one squad sometimes 2 with a flamer and an LMG. High LD helps keep them from panicing if they take casualties. Just some food for thought.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 12:34:47 PM »
i only voted assault mariens.

why?

-> big guns, shooting performance and fat armor! Not to forget the Deadshot, which is better than any CC skill

the others are a mix of various skills, but what one have does the other in a variant/alternative.
nothing beats the pure AM superiority

also, what is not mentioned until now: the squad linked individuals!
AM captain is very sweet, also the best SL-Char, imho
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 01:43:28 PM »

oh no...the Sunset Striker Captain is truly a nasty individual...

HtH beast, oh and he has a Puker...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 04:58:15 PM »
Free Marines and Rangers.

Tough infiltrators and a lovely unit for pounding on chumps, two-fisted Thing Style!
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
i only voted assault mariens.

why?

-> big guns, shooting performance and fat armor! Not to forget the Deadshot, which is better than any CC skill

the others are a mix of various skills, but what one have does the other in a variant/alternative.

Umm I beg to disagree. Deadshot is usefull IF your guy is still alive at the end of CC,with Ferocity <+2 CC and +1Dam.>. and 18 AR thats not guarenteed. So deadshot would not be very useful but ferocity can be used both offensively and defensively.

So lets sum this up.

Ass Marines
have a SA that isnt always useful
Sunset Strikers
SA can be used both for offense and defense
AM
Cost 2pt less with 3pt more AR
SS
Better CC and Dam in CC
SS
MV 4
AM
have 11 LD so not as good a chance to not panic

So IMO Ill take the unit that moves faster, hits harder doesnt panic as easilly and has an SA that I can use all the time along with my 13DAM charge to your 22AR. So bring your Ass Mars on.. I will enjoy the challenge  ;D

Homebase- Philadelphia

Iron Panda

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 08:27:16 PM »
Gotta be the Free Marines and Sunset Strikers.

Free Marines for the fluff.  As for the Sunset Strikers, they are hard-hitting and overall a killer unit.  Still smarting after Jibba's unit of Strikers massacred my Praetorian Stalkers from the last con. 

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 01:49:05 AM »
Umm I beg to disagree.
thats very OK! here the fun of unit discussion only begins!

(..)
So deadshot would not be very useful but ferocity can be used both offensively and defensively.
true, but then:
- DS is useful in RC rather than CC, since it can be used on other units in CC, making the AM a CC winner all around them (litterally! GS)
- Fer is only useful in CC, but AM can use their DS as soon as other troops, possibly with MV4/5 are in CC
- Fer only improves a medicore CC potential. the real deal is the FT. (i would never buy an elite LMG, btw..)
- (perhaps only a "practical" advantage) they donīt need to move to attack "in CC"-> you donīt loose a good shooting corridor/cover position & you donīt cluster around a modle that survived 1 SS (-> shotguns/FT/GL, i had that a lot with my maschinators&BBcap..)

-(perhaps only a "practical" advantage) the flamethrower needs to move very close and can shoot only once or twice then. HMG or AMC would possibly not be affected. these could wipe out the SS+Char by losing their troopers -> tactical win. AM would shoot at 18īwith RC11 D11 (same as FT)

(..&mod)
Ass Marines
-have a SA that isnt always useful  *comment: but it offers security against CC troops all around!!
-Cost 2pt less with 3pt more AR
-are gunslingers
-HMG Char
-RL w rc 11 (->9/7/7!)
-the armor is quite a factor. D10 kills a SS 55% AM 40%, D13 kills SS 70% AM 45%
-gunslinger is good against surprises and allow you to be more free about fig positioning and Arcs, but i agree, not the biggest factor..
-HMG char increases the potential of the DS. apart from this, a FT char is also neat
-The RL, while extremly expensive (50P) makes them the ideal support troop. i would perhaps use it and live with the captains hmg alone, without a tropp hmg.

(...&mod)
Sunset Strikers
-SA can be used both for offense and defense
-Better CC and Dam in CC
-MV 4
have 11 LD so not as good a chance to not panic
CC training 2
higher LD
-can be used, but then only in CC and not in RC
-CC is not the place for AM. if they end up there itīs the captain/hmg that saves the survaivors.. also, in PB: they shoot at 10 (SS CC11) with D11 (SS D10) -> the same.. but if they donīt hit, they arenīt in CC like the SS
-MV4 is just necessary. a MV3 FT carrier unit would be no candidate for best capitol unit.. nevertheless, an advantage
-Leadership is only 1 point higher than the AM cap (whats wrong with the SS capt anyway???). better but not so much.. may be the case a LD 15 or 16 Char is close to my supporting AM anyway..

So IMO Ill take the unit that moves faster, hits harder doesnt panic as easilly and has an SA that I can use all the time along with my 13DAM charge to your 22AR.
i would take the good priced all support unit with big guns and good armor..
instead of charging i like to shoot and reload

So bring your Ass Mars on.. I will enjoy the challenge  ;D
:(
whereīs a Void gate if you need one..

But, at a "normal table", like this, for example, what 1000 P army would you use? incl. SS of course ;).

i would, if i donīt totally max, use this lot o guns. no orcas here.

1000 Pts  -   Capitol: Navy Army

1 Major Maria Del Torres LOGS @ 42 Pts
1 Blood and Guts Lt. Colonel @ 48 Pts
1 Assault Marnie Captain @ 45 Pts

5 Assault Marnies+Sgt+RL_AP+Gren @ 242 Pts
6 Heavy Infantry +Sgt+Sniper @ 181 Pts     Extra Ablative Armor
4 Heavy Infantry Sgt Sniper @ 135 Pts
2*4 Freedom Brigade+Sgt+SuppGren @ 88 Pts
2 Great Grey @ 65 Pts

Total Army Cost: 999
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:36:40 AM by Aldrien »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 03:39:40 AM »
Ok this is a pre designed all around force that I have used alot at different point totals. Ive used it at cons and with friends. It  has a 7 win 1 Loss<Archer Darn you> 1 Draw record< incomplete game w Dodger>

2 squads of 5 Hvy Inf + Sgt + RL with AP = 326
1 Squad of 5 SS + Sgt + LMG + squad link = 210
1 Squad of 5 SS + Sgt + FT = 211
1 Squad of 2 Orcas + RL Spec with with AP = 204
Inf Col = 45
Total= 996

32 Units with 6 Activations

On the board you show, there are several cluster areas I would take advantage of using my RLs as either area denial or slaughter central if you choose to move through them. Lots of cover for the MV4 SS to approach  and the Orcas to deal with your Great Greys should they try to make an appearence. If I saw that table with this force I would feel a high degree of confidence in my force and that victory wouldnt take long  ;D The only exception that I would make to that statement is if you choose to sit back and make me dig you out. I would suffer alot of losses getting in there but once I did I would take out the assault marines < as they are the biggest threat to me in CC> and the rest as they say " Would be history"  ;D

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 04:57:18 AM »
Ok this is a pre designed all around force that I have used alot at different point totals. Ive used it at cons and with friends. It  has a 7 win 1 Loss<Archer Darn you> 1 Draw record< incomplete game w Dodger>

Huh?  What.... oh that.  Yeah... that was a mean game, Cop Killa.  I told you to cease and desist... but Noooooooo, you had to kill a bunch of the Cops and make the Cartel spank you for being Naughty  ;D :D ;)

we will get a rematch...  I'f its any consolation, that Cartel list of mine has only lost once too- and thats to Dave' Bauhaus in the desert.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Wedge

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 02:36:56 PM »
I wanted to vote but you didn't have the button that says:

Dead Capitolians... that is the best squad by far!

;D :-*

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 11:40:38 AM »
Assualt Marines, Free Marines and Wailing Banshees all hold a special place in my heart as awsome units that I love to field.  I would say the Free marines are my favorite though.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 01:33:18 PM »
 I voted for the Rangers and Desert Scorpions.I have not played a game but the miniatures and backgroud are very cool for these two units.

Iron Panda

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 03:26:33 PM »
I voted for the Rangers and Desert Scorpions.I have not played a game but the miniatures and backgroud are very cool for these two units.

Gotta admit.  As a Freemarine fan, the Rangers come a close second.  Love the sculpts and the fluff.

Capitol's the kind of a faction that projects a rugged individualistic, no guts, no glory kind of archetype to its units. If I can go back in time when coins were plentiful, I would have started with Capitol.