Author Topic: Soul flayer woes...  (Read 26071 times)

lancekilljoy

Soul flayer woes...
« on: September 20, 2005, 07:06:40 AM »
Me and some friends have been playing chronopia for a while and we have this nagging question that comes up every game. Since the soul flayer has the bale-fire attack, can it breath fire from height band 1 onto a model in height band 0? If so, how do you measure that? Is it from the top of the height band 1?

my poor elves have been friend every game by a beast they can't even attack  :'(. your help and rule clarifications are appreciated  ;D.

Offline Morfdoggs

Re: Soul flayer woes...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 07:34:34 AM »
I usally meausre it from the lowest number in height band 1. but Thats not offical but it would be the most realistic in my opinion.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 08:35:14 AM »
I'm still puttin' mine together, and would like an answer before I run my devout.  I was under the impression that the soul flayer had to be on the ground to use this template.  I guess a good reading of the rules would be in order. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

lancekilljoy

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 09:51:04 AM »
I usally meausre it from the lowest number in height band 1. but Thats not offical but it would be the most realistic in my opinion.

I don't have my rulebook on me, but from my memory i believe that height band was from tabletop to 3 in above the tabletop. Does this mean that you could measure from 1 cm above the table top (basically exactly from tabletop)? And, if thats the case, does that make sense since ordinary troops still couldn't hit the soulflayer in height band 1?

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 07:32:49 PM »
Measure the template. If the Soul Flayer breathes from HB 1 onto ground based units they would be hit. If they have spears however they could hit back...
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 01:00:18 PM »
i dont want to be rule laywering but my Rulebook states:

"Directly placed Templated weapons cannot be targeted at Flyers outside the attackers Height band."

So if that goes for any other direct placed template weapon, why making another exclusion rule for the sf?   ::)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 01:18:27 PM by Ruther »
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 06:18:38 PM »
i dont want to be rule laywering but my Rulebook states:
"Directly placed Templated weapons cannot be targeted at Flyers outside the attackers Height band."
So if that goes for any other direct placed template weapon, why making another exclusion rule for the sf?   ::)

As I understand the question the Flayer is flying at Height Band 1 and targeting a unit on the ground. Thom's response says the Flayer may flame from HB 1 to a unit on the ground and if they have spears (which add 1" to the attack of a unit) then the unit may attack back. If I am correct there is no template being targeted at a flyer, so I do not understand your point. Please post a follow-up so the situation can fully addressed.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

dagorauk

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 07:58:21 PM »
The wording probably was just intended so that the balefire couldn't be breathed upward into another height band...

And if you're playing elves, why don't you have Militia, Spearmen, or Archers? Or a Lotus Eater? If your Devout player is a fan of the Soul Flayer, introduce him to the Flying Dragonbane.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 08:10:49 PM »
Good advice Dag
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 12:32:38 AM »
The question is when a template weapon isnt able to target another Highband as the rules say it why should the souldflayer be able to do it with his balefire?

If the soulflayer can breath from another highband there is no reason why a flamethrower or a flame lance can't do the same (but obviously the rules say they arent alloowed too).

Offline Nikodemus

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 12:52:50 AM »
I don`t think the Soulflayer breathes up or down a height band.
Heightband 1 is 1 to 3 inches high.
Models standing on the ground are effectively in height band 0 AND height band 1 (if they are at least 1 inch tall) or maybe even HB 0,1 and 2 (if they are larger than 3 inches).
The soulflayer at heightband 1 uses its balefire attack and hits models at least 1 inch tall. So she is not using the template to attack something in another heightband, just the models in HB 1...

Do I make sense????

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 01:13:20 AM »
a bit  ;D

But what do the poor races wich dont have spearmen than? Just call it a day and give the devout player the win while he hovers all over his army and kills them without haveing to fear retaliation  :o ?.

The problem comes with having a HB 0 if all Models are in HB 1 (i guess only goblins wich just got trampled by a myrmodon can be considerd to be in HB 0  ;) ).

Offline Nikodemus

• Journeyman
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 03:21:20 AM »
Good point!

But in my example models would be in HB 0 and 1 and could attack the Soulflayer while she is in HB 1...

Troops with spears may even attack flyers in HB 2, depending how tall they are...

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 05:25:48 AM »
In your example both are in HB1 wich means the SF can breath and the other models can attack her without needing Spears. I still dont think the rules allow an SF to breath from HB 2  into HB 1 8)

lancekilljoy

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 06:38:37 AM »
The wording probably was just intended so that the balefire couldn't be breathed upward into another height band...

And if you're playing elves, why don't you have Militia, Spearmen, or Archers? Or a Lotus Eater? If your Devout player is a fan of the Soul Flayer, introduce him to the Flying Dragonbane.

I have all of those, the problem comes in with the massive amount of wounds that the sf has (5 wounds). The flying dragonbane may do a maximum of 4 wounds and then be eaten. Milita, spearmen have to make a dread test before attacking the sf, both having about average leadership and neither have i been able to fully take down a sf (partly bad dice rolling, partly the strength of the weapons). I have used archers effectively against the sf, but that is only when the player makes the mistake of putting the sf closer than any of his other units.

Good point!

But in my example models would be in HB 0 and 1 and could attack the Soulflayer while she is in HB 1...

Troops with spears may even attack flyers in HB 2, depending how tall they are...

so are all troops effectively in HB 1?  :o that would make a little more sense... although you would constantly have to state exactly how far in HB1 you are flying since not all troops are the same 'height'. Dogs, for instance, are shorter than elves and so they would have a hard time attacking something at 3 in.