Author Topic: siege of the cit worth it?  (Read 7074 times)

Offline pinksuezo

siege of the cit worth it?
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:48:23 AM »
ahoy, theres a copy of siege of the citadel on ebay that ends today in the afternoon and i dont know if i want to bid on it.   i'm only familiar with warzone, and i love the game so far, so i'm wondering if anyone here who has both would also recommend sotc?   

is it fun? sort of like warzone just with supercharacters?  or completely different?
specifically, pics of the back of the box show the gameboard as kind of small with a lot of figures on it.  is miniature-to-environment scale completely off or is that pic unreliable and is it a little more like wz?      also, whats the quality of the plastic figures? the necromutants ive seen look pretty bad, but the hero characters might look better?

any answers to my questions or different things to consider would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: siege of the cit worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:00:34 AM »
the one without the 2 bau figs?

i consider this as well..

the game figs (i have fury of clansmen and BB-game) are quite bad.
the posing and propotions are off..

the size is ~right, however (a little smaller).

the game itself uses some special dice with 1-3 (~?) possible hit sides.
the better unit get to use better  & more dice.
also, it is grid-based

cu
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline zebuleon

• Journeyman
    • 731 Studios
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:02:27 AM »
the only relation to Warzone this game has is its setting and flavor.  System wise its its own thing all together.  With that being said the game can be really fun.  This is one of the very first if not the first thing to come out for mutant chronicles and so has the kind of quality.  If your a fan of the setting and things like the card game and rpg then this is a decent addition to your collection in my opinion.

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:17:05 PM »
I would most definetly recommend it.  Yes the detail in the figs are not as high of quality but what do expect from a mass produced board game.  The majority of my horde army are plastic legionairres and necromutants from my multiple copies of this game.  Painted up right they tend to look pretty good, they just lack the detail of the pewter.

Zeb, is correct that the mechanics and play is different.  It's all scenario mission based with each player running one doomtrooper team and rotating who runs the DL.  It's a lot simpler but still has the Mutant Chronicles feel to it.  It's a great way to introduce new players the both the world of miniature gaming and MC.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 12:32:09 PM »
I would most definetly recommend it.  Yes the detail in the figs are not as high of quality but what do expect from a mass produced board game.  The majority of my horde army are plastic legionairres and necromutants from my multiple copies of this game.  Painted up right they tend to look pretty good, they just lack the detail of the pewter.

Zeb, is correct that the mechanics and play is different.  It's all scenario mission based with each player running one doomtrooper team and rotating who runs the DL.  It's a lot simpler but still has the Mutant Chronicles feel to it.  It's a great way to introduce new players the both the world of miniature gaming and MC.

I can only echo what he says here...  Very fun game and when played with a full compliment of teams, the special mission cards (affectionately known as the "f- yo' buddy" cards) really make the game an even bigger hoot to play.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 12:42:40 PM »
hmm. thanks for the pointers.   about the game being scenario-based, i guess you could just play scenario games with wz instead (but following the same general missions)?    i thought i remember reading about plans to design something like that on these boards.    would that be the cheaper alternative lol?
i'm really on mixed ground regarding this auction, but if anyone else wants to bid they should go ahead (i.e. aldrien).

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline BikerBaneDave

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:57:59 AM »
So what's the verdict?  Did you pick up the game?

Years ago an NJ based crew used to use the Seige boards with regular WZ rules.  Each move is 3 inches = 3 squares.  Three actions per model.  All mini rules were preserved, with just movement limited to the squares on the board.  It was a fun way to run special characters or tag teams, with the random application of DL from room to room.
Blades, bikes, animal fur and beer... who wouldn't want to be a Wolfbane?!

*Facepalm*  Only a Wolfbane would bring a blade to a gunfight... AND WIN!

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »
oh no lol someone else bought it for like 6 bucks with no one else bidding.     i might pick it up someday but for now wz is good enough.   just need to come up with some indoor "citadel sieging" scenarios heh.   im guessing the easiest way to prep a scenario would be to have two small squads with one or two individuals instead of just 2 soldiers per non-dl player and to scatter the dl somehow.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
 >:(
i missed it.-. my bad..
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline zebuleon

• Journeyman
    • 731 Studios
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 11:43:10 AM »
as a side note Siege was designed for the Doomtrooper teams, hence only two characters.  One ranged and one CC.  and the DL didn't have to be a player unless you wanted it to be.

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 12:19:38 PM »
as a side note Siege was designed for the Doomtrooper teams, hence only two characters.  One ranged and one CC.  and the DL didn't have to be a player unless you wanted it to be.

ya i know, but since coming up with stats for supercharacters might be more trouble than its worth, i was just sayin easiest way to deal with that would be to have your one (or better yet, two) individuals be the pretend-doomtroopers, with the squads being the muscle that saves you from having to find a proper game balance if forced to use only two soldiers.  lazy way but ya. 

In Nomine Cardinalis