Author Topic: Using a Wait  (Read 14249 times)

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Using a Wait
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »
Waits can be used anytime.

I talked to Topkick last night about this, and then completely fergot to post about it.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 09:03:06 PM »
I will openly admit that I did not read the entire thread but instead skimmed through it. 

Waits can be used at anytime before the waiting unit is activated.  Waits do not need to be reactionary.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »
We all can agree that the UWZ book was ruhed and many mistakes were made, things were omitted do to size of book, and verbage was changed on accident on some things. And I think we can agree that the basics have generally stayed the same from 1st to 3rd edition. I still feel the meaning of Wait has not changed since 1st edition I feel the verbage is allowing for different interpations. Here's the definition from the 1st edition main rulebook page 58 where Wait was clearly spelled out so there couls be no missinterpation.
Wait: When a model is waiting, it is doing nothing except waiting and watching so that it can react to the foe. You can spend an action for a model to wait. If you do so, the model's turn ends. Place a waiting marker beside that model and continue with the rest of your turn.
Basically, a waiting model has 1 action in reserve, which it can use *out of normal turn sequence.* If an enemy model preforms any visible action within LOS, then the wating model can use its saved action.
If you are waiting, you can interrupt an enemys movement at any time. Once your waiting model has taken its action, remove the waiting marker. your opponent completes his turn as normal.
You do not have to take the action as soon as an enemy model moves into your LOS. You can wait until the entire unit comes closer. *Once the enemy squad or individual finishes its turn, though, you cannot act against it.*
I believe it was the same in second edition too, but My rules of war is not handy at this time when I find it I'll check. No where does it say you can use a wait during your turn, and clearly states its an reaction.
I understand its a different edition but only minor verbage changed. If the verbage was coorect the UWZ book reads as a reaction. Just a thought for when this is offically FAQ'ed
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Wedge

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 10:52:37 AM »
You may or may not be forgetting, however, that there is a major difference between the wait of 1st edition compared to 2nd and 3rd.

Waits were automatic in 1st edition--no leadership roll required.  Therefore, it had to be more strict.  It had to be limited and precise.

Conversely, in 2nd and 3rd editions it was allowed to be more flexible because of the randomness of the LD test.  IMO, that is the reason for the change in verbage--not because of a typo or omission.

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 01:22:59 PM »
Hello.

I didn't comment on the rule for warzone because I simply am still learning the rules. But this also came up for Chronopia at the last Con that EE was at. Thom stated that wait actions in Chronopia are held actions that can be used at any time. If I have a unit of first born macemen on wait with an enemy unit close enough to attack, I can attempt to come off wait attack with my wait action with each member of the unit in attack range. Then activate the unit after wards with no restrictions. The risk of wait is if I fail my wait test I lose my reserved action.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 01:59:27 PM »
I just read throught the 2nd edition on wait and it clearly states far better than the UWZ book that it can be used at any time. Sorry for any chaos I caused but I was a 1st edition right to 3rd even though I owned 2nd edition never played alot of 2nd edition. So where in 1st where it was clearly a reaction in second it clearly became a use at any time. So that is the way I will play it from now on. Thanks for all the imput. Phil ;D ;D ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 06:16:14 PM »
Antime, bud. ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 10:35:35 PM »
This is a quite common confusion especially for people who have been playing 1st edition. In 1st ed. you had to have a "visible action" to react to. Back then the question was "Is action type X visible or not?".

In UWZ and 2nd ed this was changed so that you can use it at any time you do not have to react to something.

Wait counters like Dave stated remain on the model until it activates. So if an entire squad is Waiting when the first model activates the rest keep their Waits and can use them normally until they activate and lose it.