Author Topic: Undeads  (Read 15241 times)

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
Re: Undeads
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 10:12:39 AM »
The range of that axes would be 6. I dont think throwing them at six and not attacking with their high cc scores breaks the game there ;)

Against devout i would always put some archers into the force to prevent the most likly fielded Soulflayer  ::) from roaming to free through the air  ;D. It dont needed to be 40% of the force tho.
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 10:28:56 AM »
I was thinking like a Dwarf player.  Whether you use Horned Ones Warshields (warhammer damage) or Vulture Crossbowmen (bastard sword damage) you've got decent close combat to double up your options.  Other armies might be hard pressed if their archers lose the effectiveness of their ranged combat.  I'm with ya Ruther that 40% is a high number if you know beforehand you're fightin' the Devout.  'Makes it tricky in a tournament setting when you field the same army against opponents you don't know beforehand.  That's what makes this game so cool.
Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »
Missle Weapons against devout CAN be very usefull, All the demons cost many points. But as i said, It is a big risk to use so many Archers against Devouts. When your opponent plays a Undead- only Force, your Archers are relatively quite usefull.
But about the Cursed, i think you´re rigt. I dont know where i have my Book, but i remember that they have good stats and a very good Damage.

My last game I felt the wrath of an undead force with the Champ, I played Firstborn and my archers did absoloutly nothing all game. That is a force to be wreckened with. The inability to use your missle weapon hurts exspecially when I could of taken some Black Sisters or Iron Guard instead.They could have taken out something at least instead of running off the field like my poor archers.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 04:32:53 PM by Morfdoggs »
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

dagorauk

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 09:56:50 PM »
Ok, time for my $.02

First, Viridian Lords are not broken. For 52 points per model get a two-wound man with a very solid CC and DAM output, a good armor, a sad RC and a just as sad LD.
The only good use of a Viridian Lord's throwing axe is to throw them the same action you charge. (Look in the throwing weapon rules.)

Second, why say the rane is 6? Aren't most thrown weapons 2+STR? This would increase their effective range to 8 if I'm right. If nothing else I would think it's 1+STR. Regardless, often the only good time to throw is when charging.

Third...the Two Handed Reaver Axe is not a Hand-held ranged weapon. IT'S A FRIGGIN' GREATAXE! We're not talking about a bow that you can hold in one hand and just requires the other to draw back the string, we're talking about big@$$ treemen lobbing axes in a way that would make Paul Bunyun proud! Even if throwing spears don't count against undead (which I think they should), at least the Two Handed Reaver Axe should.

Fourth...any arguement for Cursed Shot to be useful against undead is irrelevent. Barring the Shadow Tribe Unliving, only the Devout have undead troops. There isn't a single Cursed Shot that can be made from a Devout of any type, so if power can't be drawn from a fallen Devout then no power in a Cursed Shot should be capabe of affecting the Undead.
(Although with that said, I believe there should be Cursed Shot made from Mortal and Infernal Devouts.)

Offline Firstborn

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 06:06:38 AM »
I would say a Veridian thrown axe would damage undead. It would probably be an exception, along with the impaler.

Perhaps Thom can jump in here and let us know the official ruling?
Chronopia - The best fantasy miniature wargame ever made

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 07:17:31 AM »
I'll ply Thom with some quality Scotch this evening and tell'em to chime in ASAP.

Offline fuko

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 02:12:29 AM »
AFAIK Viridian Lords have 8" range. You can also, according to rules, makevery evil trick: throw an axe durring a charge even if you are out of charge range. Let's say you start 6" from enemy - you can decide to charge him - according to rules you throw a weapon from the original distance and then move charging model. So you throw an axe from 6" and then move 3" to the enemy (according to rules if you are out of charge range you move maximum distance towards enemy). On second action you are 3" from enemy - so you again throw an axe and than charge (this time you also get into CC). So thanks to this trick you get 2 throws and 1 CC attack in a turn.

But going back to Undead - lets make it clear about Cursed - they are immune to missiles and still can run? (I think they should have Cannot run - like other Undead units - without it they are simply broken in point cost - they should cost about 44 or so - like Black Sisters etc.)

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 10:29:57 AM »
Let's take this in stages:

1) The notation regarding handheld missile weapons should be fairly clear. Should a missile from these sources however confer other damage because it has been augmented in some way then this would apply. By this i mean to say that if an arrow was made into a flaming arrow for example (something from CM), then the fire damage could apply.
Magical enchantments would fall into this category so the cursed shots that the Sons of Kronos use would still work (once that is).

2) Thrown weapons at this point are not the same as hand-held missile weapons. They function as normal.

3) Thanks for the Scotch. :)
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 10:45:08 AM »
I'm still feelin' that Jameson today. 

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 10:47:11 AM »
I am sure you are...though two days in a row is more the issue than one night's worth.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!