Author Topic: Missile Declaration  (Read 7422 times)

Online joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Missile Declaration
« on: February 08, 2006, 11:46:01 AM »
As I'm also learning the Warlord game, I thought of an idea from their system that deserves looking at for our game.

When models in Warlord get two shots with their missiles, they have to declare their targets first, so you would have to shoot at two models, hoping to drop one with each shot, or take two shots at one model to better your chances of taking one out.  Once declared, you have to stick with it. 

In the present system with Chronopia, you have each archer activating one at a time, taking either a shot with each action, or spending one action to aim and then firing.

This seems less realistic.  Say archer one shoots and drops one in his first shot, then shoots again at the next nearest model.  In a fluid game, the archer next to him firing would not have time to sit back and wait, seeing how the first archers arrows fly, before firing his own.  He's probably already shooting at the model the first archer took his second shot at. 

Hence, I think it would be a good idea for archers, slingers, etc, firing once or more an action to declare their targets. 

Thoughts?  We're going to try this at home.  Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Missile Declaration
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:59:27 AM »
I believe this is already coverd in the rules "must shot closest target".
its assumed the shots keep hitting the target untill dead at which point moves to the next closest target. if you have 2 targets that happen to be equal range choose one, shot it till it dies, if any actions remain shoot the next.
   This makes delcare all targets before firing a bit moot, But what do I know. My army doesnt have any missle units ::).

I'm sure those better with the rules will step up to plate. 
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 12:07:40 PM »
I gotta agree with the King - you would be breaking the rule regarding targeting priority to declare two shots against different enemies.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Score one for The King 8)

Online joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:17:38 PM »
I ain't talkin' about breaking the rule, I'm talking about rewriting it!  You would still have to shoot the closest enemy--but you would have to declare you're shootin' him twice or aiming and shooting.  This seems odd I know, but say your unit of five elf archers is activated shooting at an enemy.  The first archer is shooting in his first action, as is the second and so on, as it is assumed they are all going at the same time.  By the time you get to your last archer, it's as if time stood still for him to react to what all four archers ahead of him did! 

We're going to test this out in upcoming battles to see how this works.   

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 12:30:15 PM »
in real time they would do as you say Josh!

But if the first one gots hit, the second arrow would hit the place where dead 1 is now lying and hits the one behind... ;)
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »
Josh -

You asked for our thoughts and I gave you mine. You want to playtest an alternative homerule go for it but advocating the rewriting of a rule without playtesting it first is a bit condescending. Again my thoughts. Bottom line - good luck with the playtest but try being a bit more polite to those of us who respond to your posts. We don't deserve to be given attitude for giving you a response.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »
I don't see the attitude really, but maybe I'm just dense. :)

I don't see what your proposed home rule would add Josh. Does it make things more fun or does it just add a little bit more complexity without increasing the fun?

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 01:11:29 PM »
If no umbrage was intended then I apologize. Not only to Josh but to you Coil and the forum as a whole. I am dealing with an abcessed tooth and maybe I'm a bit more on edge than I thought.

Online joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 01:27:57 PM »
@Topkick---Sorry if I came off condescending.  I'm not throwin' attitude at any of my crew on the forum, just proposin' an idea to try.  I suppose it's a bit of a stretch proposing rewriting the whole rules set for my crazy, half-baked idea, and for that I do apologize.  I really meant that as a jest.   No umbrage 'round here. 

So in terms of an experiment.  I'm thinking of this in terms of time.  The last archer to go gets to analyze the results of all the frenzy of missile fire--I'm only thinking of testing this out to reflect that they don't .   They're busy lettin' fly with their own arrows.  Is there a way to simulate this, or does it break the mechanic of each model taking all of their actions apart in a bad way.

I was thinking of adding this, but you're right Coil, it could just be one more thing to slow things down, or alternately it might keep missile units from having more latitude than the non-missile troops.  They seem to able to shoot twice, or aim and shoot with impunity, gauging what they will do after their fellows have gone through their actions.  It's just something to try out.

@Anomander--you seem to have the idea-- the next arrow to let fly would probably go into the guy behind the first one dropped.  

Maybe if missile units (shooting both actions) went down the line resolving their first attacks, then going down the line for their second actions would reflect how volleys of arrows go into enemy units.  It would even be the same # of dice being thrown.  

Topkick--I've dealt with an abcessed tooth, and man, it sucked.   Take care of that--I need you in peak condition when my enthusiasm and crazy ideas get the better of me, and you've answered more rules questions for me than I can count.  Cheers.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:30:12 PM »
Anyone that puts up with my grumpy ol' abcessed butt deserves some good karma. So putting action to word... ;D

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 01:31:38 PM »
an abcessed tooth
Ouch!

No need to apologize TK.

Online joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »
It's one time the dentist and his pliers are almost your friends. 

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 01:38:10 PM »
all the wounds have healed ( well expect for the tooth)
time to hold hands and sing camp fire songs. :P  (I guess those without a bad tooth could sing)

Online joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 01:45:07 PM »
Steve, it really is good to be the Masherking!  Is the position of court jester still open?   Leaving the office.  Chat with y'all tomorrow.  Cheers.