Author Topic: Mutant Chronicles RPG  (Read 11402 times)

Offline ImperialGlory

• Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense!
Mutant Chronicles RPG
« on: September 19, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »
Greetings!  While I am ecstatic to see Warzone doing so well, and I have been very supportive of it, I can't help but wish to see the old Mutant Chronicles RPG back in print.  I own all of the old materials except for the Ilian Sourcebook, and I love it and GM it on a quasi-regular basis.  Anybody else interested in this great game?
Some talk of Alexander, And some of Hercules
Of Hector and Lysander, And such great names as these.
But of all the world's great heroes, There's none that can compare
With a tow, row, row, row, row, row,
To the British Grenadier!

Offline The_Collector

Re: Mutant Chronicles RPG
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 01:44:32 AM »
Yup!

I found out about Warzone, thru the Doomtrooper CCG. I'm painting some Bauhaus Venus dudes, right now. But when I found some MC RPG books in my local gameshop I had to catch 'em all. I have no yet been able to play it, for I have not yet introduced my players to it (n00b :D) I want to read all the stuff first.

Cheers

T C
Exitus Acta Probat

Vingthor

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 04:13:44 AM »
 I got into all this with Mutant Chronicles years ago before the first edition of Warzone. My old group played it non stop every night for a year. So many fond memories.

Last time I asked Thom he said that someone was working on it, but that was a few years ago and yet there has been nothing official.

PMP Ving

Offline ImperialGlory

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 09:05:06 AM »
I can't help but hope they bring it back.  If they need someone to do compilation or playtesting on it I'll volunteer immediately. 

Vingthor

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 02:48:45 PM »
 From the discusion in the Chronopia section the older system will not be supported, as Warzone was based on MC, now it appears that MC will be based on Warzone.

I'm not changing my regular game.

PMP Ving

Offline ImperialGlory

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 04:41:29 PM »
No kidding.  I hope that isn't true.  The RPG rules for Mutant Chronicles are among the best, if not THE best I've ever played.

Trencher

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 10:11:10 AM »
I used to play this Imperial sniper, it was fun until I got on the wrong end of a flamethrower.
I liked the rule system but several of my fellow players expressed concearn about the games armour rules. What a bunch of whimps!

Trencher

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 10:55:41 AM »
Look what I found in my favorite folder:
http://www.sebman.com/index.html
It's a rpg site for mutant chronicels. Notice how nice it is on the eyes.

Offline The_Collector

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 01:13:46 PM »
Come to think of it, maybe I'll do a conversion of the MC RPG to Alternity, probably the best allround RPG set around. Although it is no longer in print :(

Cheers

Jase
Exitus Acta Probat

Ironhawk_Everson

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 09:01:29 AM »
Hello all MC fans!
Iīm also happy that Warzone is reviving. MC RPG is great game. We have all sourcebooks in our gaming group. Even Iīm die hard MC fan i have to say that game system in MC RPG is crap. But artwork, background stories and generally atmosphere in those books is unmatched. It doesnīt matter even if rules suck. Good GM and players make good roleplaying. Letīs kick some nephrite ass! 8)

Vingthor

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 06:56:06 PM »
 I don't think it sucks, Everything dies, easily. Great fun, shoot everything dead untill you get killed and then start over, just like most video games.

PMP Ving

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 11:18:32 PM »
Come to think of it, maybe I'll do a conversion of the MC RPG to Alternity, probably the best allround RPG set around. Although it is no longer in print :(

Cheers

Jase

I couldn't agree with you more! Check out Alternity.net. It's the best fansite out there for Alternity. Sure there won't be anymore books coming out but these guys have FAQ'd everything and produce their own free supplements downloadable by PDF, so Alternity's not quite dead yet.

Anyways, back on topic. I've never actually played the MCRPG, I tried to borrow the books from my boss but he doesn't know where they are. I tried to get some off ebay but my groups' pretty much into D&D and Alternity, with the occasional WFRP here and there.

Vingthor

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 05:33:59 AM »
 I may have an extra copy laying about somewhere in storage.

Offline ImperialGlory

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 03:58:18 PM »
No way!  Mutant Chronicles is probably one of the best set of RPG rules I've ever seen!  Besides the lifting rules, it's got some great rules for modern combat that I can think of.  Sure beats anything D20's got.

Ironhawk_Everson

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 04:58:04 AM »
Thereīs lot of in those rules i donīt like. For exemple:

Fumble rule on dice roll 20 is too frequently
Four player characters face group of bad guys in fire fight. Characters have automatic weapons which are able to fire three times per action. Lets assume that characters have four actions each  becouse they are kickass doomtroopers. If they fire with every action they got group rolls dice 3(shots)*4(actions)=12 *4(players)= 48 times!! So on average heroes are going to dramatically fumble more than twice loosing every action for that turn +1d6 actions for other turns. Maybe two players drop guns, jam or whatever on first turn of combat.

Hand grenades donīt do enough damage
If I remember correctly hand grenades do damage 1d4 to 1d3 hit locations. If a guy wears armor let's say normal hussar couple grenades can blow just front of him and heīs still quiet ok.

Character getīs too often criminal record or such on character creation
If you roll less than 11 from special events table adventuring immediately starts becouse of criminal record or something really bad like that. Thatīs too often before character reaches 24 years of age he has really bad repution.

And thereīs plenty of more things like these...

Donīt get me wrong. I still love the game but you canīt say that this is good set of RPG rules.