Author Topic: Need tips on Dream Warriors  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Jase

Need tips on Dream Warriors
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:35:12 AM »
What would be a good way to paint Dream warriors to make them appear ghostly? The concept I have in mind is that while armour and weaponry are real enough, the robes and faces will be painted to appear as ethereal - sort of grey-white at the edges, but a pale glowy blue effect in the deeper lines.

Any good tips?

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Re: Need tips on Dream Warriors
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 05:54:35 AM »
You might try a clear coat that has metal flake in it. 
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:19:26 AM »
I would try this.

White primer
blue under coat
then
light blue dry brush
then
white dry brush
then
 do a nice pure white paint on the hard edges of the model where the light would hit it.

thats my frist thoughts it I was going for this color scheme.
you might need to play with it alittle to get that look just right (maybe adding bit of grey to the blue so looks less ice like).

if your staring  painter and/or you have alot to paint I would stick with something like this.
Note: never saw a dream warrior model

Not for nothing if you have a way to read some old GW mags or books their some great painting tips to be found. Should be something on painting ethereal like colors.

you can also check out warmachine, wargods, broms dark ages websites. all these games have ethereal/ice models painted by some of the best , mine their galleries for ideas.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:07:06 PM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Jase

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 02:14:26 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, I'll see how it goes.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 03:02:55 PM »
A concept I never used was to paint the whole figure gray/white, highlighted enirely, then do chunks of the figure in color.  Like use maybe a dark blue to cut out bands of the figure and swirls and stuff, then paint inside that area with the colros the figure would actually be if solid.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:21:21 AM »
A concept I never used was to paint the whole figure gray/white, highlighted enirely, then do chunks of the figure in color.  Like use maybe a dark blue to cut out bands of the figure and swirls and stuff, then paint inside that area with the colors the figure would actually be if solid.

I've done that color scheme for my Vor Gowlers (one of my best paint jobs)
instead of blue I used reds and yellows. Looks sharp on the right Model.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Jase

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 03:08:00 AM »
Ok so this is what I did, using Vallejo Game colours and GW Metallics.

Armour and sword - Black, Chainmail, Blue ink over, lightly Mithril silver over. Blue ink in the recesses and Mithril shines up on the plates.

Robes, Faces - A couple of thin coats of  Magic Blue. Face and fingers got some Electric Blue on the high points (brow, cheeks, etc). Robes were painted over with Electric Blue, leaving the darker Magic Blue in the deep of folds, leaving a distinct two tone effect.

Chains and ornaments - painted Mithril Silver and blue ink on the gem type ornaments. Just something simple.

The "ghosty" effect - I mixed 1 part Electric Blue, 1 part Wolf Grey, 2 parts Elf Skintone. This made a blue/slightly luminous grey, which I used to sharpen on the edges of the robes and to the flesh. Another mix of 2 parts Wolf Grey, 2 parts Elf Skin tone was applied to the flesh, and lightly drybrushed on the robes. A little Blue ink was used to make eyes and mouth stand out a little.

Painted base wolf grey (Crystal Lotus Elves getting to stand in the snow)

Painted these at work after hours so won't really see how it comes out until tommorow.

Jase

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 12:32:41 PM »
I would love to see some pics! :)
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »
Yup.  Pics.  Sounds great.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »
Pics are required for verification of the Dream Warriors appearance.

Offline Jase

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 03:25:27 PM »
Will post one as soon as able.

Jase