Author Topic: False Leads  (Read 24815 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
False Leads
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:07:31 AM »
The book states, "In general however, an army is entitled to one False Lead for every five hundred points it has."

Does this mean that for 500 points and below, you get one, for less than 1001 points you get two, for less than 1501 you get three, etc.?

Or, does it mean that at 500 to 999 you get one, 1000 to 1499 you get two, etc.?

We play the former.  In other words, we feel that you are always entitled to at least one, therefore anything below 501 points gets one False Lead.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: False Leads
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 12:19:01 PM »
Up to (and including 500) 1 False Lead.
Up to 1000 2 False Leads.
And so on ...

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 03:46:39 PM »
Nice to see there's yet one more person who thinks like me (yeah, it's okay to shudder at the thought).
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 06:33:16 PM »
Up to (and including 500) 1 False Lead.
Up to 1000 2 False Leads.
And so on ...

Ok now im curious. Most times when the rules state something, unless its a typo, the general concensus is to abide by the rules. SO with that being said, Why does when the book state  "In general however, an army is entitled to one False Lead for every five hundred points it has." do we not abide by whats written? My feeling is that 500-999Pts get 1 false lead 1000-1499 gets two etc.
Why do you ask? IMO because the rule states "for every five hundred points it has" not  every five hundred or portion thereof. IMO if playing a 300pt battle there should be no false leads, if playing a 750pt battle there should be one etc.

Just my two cents
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:36:31 PM »
In my opinion, it was never intended that armies of under 500 points should not get a false lead.  Hence, every 500 points is read as, "each 500 points (or fraction thereof)."

Breaking it down, one could not argue the following sentence "For every part, there is a counterpart," to not mean anything other than, "for each one, there is one."

The same applies here:  "For every 500, there is one."  That means that if there is more than one 500, but less than two 500's, there is two, etc.

Think of each group of 500 as its own, individual group.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 08:09:50 PM »
Without my book I have to go by what is quoted here but the way I read it you have to have 500 points to get a false lead so it would break down as

000 - 500       no false lead
501 - 1000     1 false lead
1001 - 1500   2 false leads and so on

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 09:13:34 PM »
Without my book I have to go by what is quoted here but the way I read it you have to have 500 points to get a false lead so it would break down as

Well im glad at least one other person sees it that way. I was beginning to think I was going crazy :) Well I am but thats besides the point  ;D
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 09:54:39 PM »

That's always been my understanding of it, as well.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »

000 - 500 no false lead
501 - 1000 1 false lead
1001 - 1500 2 false leads and so on

Not that I agree with the interpretation, but the breakdown for your example is a little off.  It would , technically, be:
  • 0 - 499 - No False Lead
  • 500 - 999 - 1 False Lead
  • 1000 - 1499 - 2 False Leads
etc.

I reiterate that it is my opinion that the rules did not intend to have forces of less than 500 points not be entitled to a false lead.

I believe that this discussion has reached a point that it needs an official ruling.

P.S.:  What's with the Karma, around here.  I applaud everyone who gives meaningful input, yet I get none - are my comments not worthy?  Am I not worthy?  Am I a Karmawhore?  I dunno... ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 03:38:45 PM by dmcgee1 »

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 12:26:33 PM »
I reiterate that it is my opinion that the rules did not intend to have forces of less than 500 points not be entitled to a false lead.

I believe that this discussion has reached a point that it needs an official ruling.
I agree with both statements. For what it's worth that's the way two members of the old FAQ Team play it.

P.S.:  What's with the Karma, around here.  I applaud everyone who gives meaningful input, yet I get none - are my comments not worthy?  Am I not worthy?  Am I a Karmawhore?  I dunno... ;)
Green text sorry cannot read.  ;)

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 01:08:42 PM »
copy/paste

yeah, this is the way we swing round these parts too.

* 0 - 499 - No False Lead
    * 500 - 999 - 1 False Lead
    * 1000 - 1499 - 2 False Leads

make that three members of ze FAQ team

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline LAWwaldo

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 06:27:44 PM »
  My friends and I have always played it that for every fraction of 500, you get 1 false lead, meaning that forces of less than 500pts still get one.  I even remember playing in Wedges Warzone tourney at GenCon and it being the same way, our forces of 750pts being allowed to have 2 false leads.  I just think the idea of false leads is so awsome, that it shouldn't be left out of any games, even the smaller ones.  Why can't a smaller force succesffully provide a false lead to its enemy?
"Life is tough; it's even tougher when your stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 07:52:50 PM »
dmcgee1 -

Thanks for the correction to my list. Never let it be said I am stingy when someone helps me out. Enjoy the +1 karma  :)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 11:13:05 PM »
make that three members of ze FAQ team

Joe, I think we're split 2-1 so far. I am of the opinion that you always get one even if the point limit of the game happens to be 378 points.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 11:58:58 PM »
hrmm...

hadn't thought of that.  (we never play less than 750 so it doesn't come up much)

Aight, i'd swing that way then, scratch the last entry.

for game sizes of 1-999 points you get one false lead

for 1000- 1499 you get two

there, that's complicated enough.
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum