Author Topic: LOS and cover  (Read 3441 times)

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
LOS and cover
« on: March 17, 2006, 10:07:39 AM »
How much LOS do you need to have... LOS?
If I see 1%? Or 10%? (and that's with the *cover* rule = Imagine the trooper standing upright, regardless of his actual pose.?)

Can there be heavier cover than heavy cover?

Imagine:
guy behind window, heavy cover.
one guy from the other side of the map is trying to hit this guy, and he has to aim through another 2 windows to get him, or maybe even worse.

Is this still the same heavy cover?

tried searching but found nothing (or too many unrelated threads, if you put it another way)

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: LOS and cover
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 10:39:41 AM »
anything less than fifty percent of the model visible and in base contact with something that would concievably deflect or slow incoming fire counts as Hard Cover.  exclude wings and weapons just to be fair for the more extravagant poses.

cover does not stack but common sense does. 

Remember you have to be within 4 inches of cover to recieve benefits from it unless there is just an extreme amount of skill/luck required to make a shot ie off wait , between the Nuns and banked off the Squad Leaders scalp. see pg 55 for further explanation.

the largest penalty being in cover generates is a -3.  until you add smoke and whatnot.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:47:33 AM »
My example was with the first guy in base contact with the wall with the window.
So adding 2 windowed walls in the middle makes no difference, still +3 bonus?

I was in fact thinking about the example in that page, where from no cover it goes to hard cover. But then i wondered... what if it starts from heavy cover in the first place?

Also: if i can see only enemy's head, or arm (assuming standing upright position), will it be LOS?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:51:55 AM »
yes, only -3

yes.  except for ridiculously posed figures.  It's up to your groups (and if that fails  a peacemaker) decision.

I personally cut the jumping flame plumes off the feet of my wailing Banshees as it does not accurately represent the models attitude on the playing field as they only make short hops and are not permanantly hovering.

Generally, if it's within the possible scope a people sized space it counts.  Crazy 40k leaping through the air arms and swords flying in every-which a direction obviously shouldn't penalize the guy when you're just tryin to hide him behind a rock.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum