Author Topic: Negative values To Hit with Templates  (Read 9721 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Negative values To Hit with Templates
« on: October 08, 2005, 07:58:19 PM »
I played a game tonight where a Ducal Militia RL Spec attempted an AP shot at a group of ISC Gendarmes.  Becaus of smoke and range, the effective roll needed to hit was -1.  Should the shot have been allowed (we ageed that the shot was allowed, and that actual damage would be calculated from the negative number, i.e.: the Ducal RL Spec rolled a 4, missing by 5, therefore, the resulting damage was 5).  However, in allowing the shot, we also opened the door to the critical hit (natural 1 on a d20).  How is this to be played in the future?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
Re: Negative values To Hit with Templates
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 04:45:24 AM »
Dave a rocket launcher is a direct fire weapon and unless i'am mistaken it can be aimed turning the -1 to a 2.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 08:58:11 AM »
A natural one  on a d20 always hits, regardless of modifiers.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 09:10:25 AM »
Yes, but then it becomes a critical hit, as well...wierd.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 09:15:23 AM »
A -1 should be an impossible shot as above you should have to aim to bring it to a 2 which would alllow for a 1 to be a critical hit. When starting from -1 with the rockets reduced damage the roll of 1 should not be a critcal in my option.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 09:38:21 AM »
Just me, but, any time you need a 1-3 to hit, you should not be able to make a "critical" hit and get the +4 damage.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 06:22:26 PM »
Just me, but, any time you need a 1-3 to hit, you should not be able to make a "critical" hit and get the +4 damage.

well, the book does say that you can always throw the dice and a 1 always hits...I do agree with your opinion, and that sounds like a good house rule idea, but I think that officially yuo can always give it a try...

B
eBay name: sylvas1970

Psyborg

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 06:43:56 AM »
Isn't this the official Chronopia rule?  So it was not just 'pulled out of the air'.

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 06:50:46 AM »
Isn't this the official Chronopia rule? So it was not just 'pulled out of the air'.

As i do not play Chronopia, yes, it was just "pulled out of the air".

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 01:15:41 PM »
A natural one rolled when the needed number is less than one is a hit, but not a critical.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 06:31:46 PM »
Wow, thanks, Thom.  This begs other questions. 

• If a negative value is calculated in order to hit (RL at LR with smoke and combat fatigue), can the shot be taken?
  • If the shot may, indeed, be taken, I asssume that no critical may be scored - correct?

Offline Enker

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 11:11:42 PM »
Ok the 1 is no critacal, but how do you calculate the damage?
If I would have to role a -1 as in the example and I role a 5 with the dice do I make
Dam 4 (10 - (5 - -1)) or
Dam 6 (10 - (5 - 1)) the -1 one is converted into a 1, because you always hit with a 1. ?
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!