Author Topic: State of the Nation  (Read 24315 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: State of the Nation
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 08:28:14 AM »
That's a good idea.  I'd also like to suggest a reccomended (but not mandatory) proxie list for not only for non-existing models, but for hard to find ones as well.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 08:38:14 AM »
Sounds like we're back on track.  Let's start a thread in the events and army ideas section for just that.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 12:29:59 PM »
It's only been a little over a year? It feels like so much longer. Good night, Warzone was the deal breaker in my wargaming life. I was new to it and just started buying figs in anticipation of Ultimate Warzone release. Once I got the Ultimate Warzone book I built one faction of IDMF Imperials, a Romanov Bauhaus group, a Sagienelli (spelling is off today forgive me) Bauhas group, Demnogonis, Ilian, Algeroth... I haven't painted the quantity of figures like I was during that period cause I was just so stoked about the game. May feeble attempts to drum up support locally were shot down. The local shop that actually carried Warzone figs made fun of me for buying the figs of a 'dead' game. And that shop wonders why the feck I do all my buying online rather than spending a dime in their store.
Paradox pulling the plug really upset me. It supremely angered me. Excelsior was disappointing me with the slow releases but felt the company was at least trying to stay the course despite the universal bad mouthing that went on. The whole scenario made me realize how fickle the wargaming hobby is on the business side. It did leave me damaged in regards to buying in to new games. I jsut can't bring myself to buy into a game until it is established. Well, Stone Circle's China Town also can carry some of that weight. I didn't realize companies come and go in this hobby so quickly and often so tragically.
I miss Warzone.

I'll have to concur that the FFG collectible Warzone game in a new scale with prepainted figs holds zero interest to me. I love Warzone but not enough to invest in bendy figs that will be painted to a standard typical of the market today. Not even taking into consideration that the rules behind the game will *NOT* be the Warzone I enjoy playing.

I also can't help but feel the movie is going to trundle off to the Sci-Fi Channel where it will whimper and die... Or Perhaps Joel Hodgson with be invigorated to use it to revive Mystery Science Theater 3000 and he and Mike Nelson will at last appear in the theater together. Yes, I have high hopes for Warzone: the Movie.

As long as Paradox insists on holding all the cards and dealing them out at leisure to a leasing company I don't see things improving. I believe Thom really and honestly made the best effort he could but just had circumstances work against him on so many levels. At least his work at reviving the game got me into it so I am a card carrying convert.

I'm going to drop off here cause I think I'm feeling over the top depressed about the loss of my favorite pretendy fun time happy smiles game all over again.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 12:43:50 PM »
Hello.

The game is good to go for me. I bought two copies of the rulebooks for warzone and will keep playing so long as I have someone to play. The games IP belongs to those fools at paradox, the soul of the game belongs to the players who make it rock. See everyone at Archercon, I have a new Mishima army I am just itchun to throw down with. Meka's Rock.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 12:46:08 PM »
Can anyone think of a line that has changed hands and then  continued to succeed? I can't in this industry.  It seems like once something is out of the hands of its original creators it tends to wither away

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »
Let's see what Brigade Models does with Celtos.  They're slowly putting out new models, and they're a company having taken another's IP.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »
Can anyone think of a line that has changed hands and then  continued to succeed? I can't in this industry.  It seems like once something is out of the hands of its original creators it tends to wither away

Gubs,

There is one line in particular I can think of... and it has continued on and expanded even.

Classic Battletech.  TECHNICALLY, the original company (FASA) is no more, with the Weismans quitting and the company closing its doors...

Wizkids bought it, put out the MechWarrior game and licensed out the old stuff.  FanPro LLC currently holds the license and has since 2k1.  Took a couple of years to get rolling again, in light of the Clix version drowning out the original storyline but they have kept it going with help from the fans...

There is an example for you. :)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
That's a good idea. I'd also like to suggest a reccomended (but not mandatory) proxie list for not only for non-existing models, but for hard to find ones as well.

I signed on today to suggest that very thing and here you guys go stealing my thunder. ;D  I was searching thru the old posts looking for that Vulture Impaler proxie and thought " we need a section just for proxies".   I'm very excited about the project  Josh is taking on.  Hope it goes well.  I would prefer to play with "official" minis, but don't see that happening anytime soon.  In the mean time I will shamelessly use whatever I can to keep playing.

As far as events goes, I am hoping to get together with Topkick and his crue to meet up sometime and play some new peoples.  I wish I could make it to Origins this year but thats life, maybe next year.  There is a Con over in Pittsburg, Ks where We play and I plan on doing Chronopia next year to show "show the flag", and heaven help anybody who ries to give me grief about my "dead"  game. >:(
                                                                                                                                                                                   I think Josh is right, this game will only die if we let it.  I plan on hanging around til the lights go out and if need be start my own site.   I have yet to run acroos another game (TTG) that I enjoy as much, plus its the game I and my friends enjoy playing.  I hope I'm still playing it when my son gets old enough to learn.  

'NUFF SAID  
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 01:15:30 PM »
I feel your frustration Matt.  If you produce your own line of miniatures based on art from sources not belonging to Paradox, or Thom, you will have many dedicated fans buying them up.  Cyclopes Forge is doing it.  What's stopping you?

I could shoot you a pic of an old Grenadier model I proxy for my Vulture Impaler.  You could sculpt something along the same lines as there is NO art or design for the model.  Anywhere.  Sculpt the armor along the lines of the Tunnel Fighters and maybe a nod towards matching the army it's designed for and voila, you already have a tiny market waiting for them. 

I make it sound so easy don't I? 

Offline Francesco

• GHAMAK
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »
Cyclopes Forge is doing it.  What's stopping you?

Yes, we are fans and supporter of this games, but the problem (the possible stopping), IMO, is another. This miniatures type don't sell, or don't sell so well as, for example, can selling WH or WH40k proxie. This is a big problem. We hope the market go better in a near future, but I'm not so sure, in my opinion, Excelsior don't sell so much well as can do a simple WH proxie miniatures company. In any case, if we can, we will like to continue to do this minitures type, if not for gain, simple for pleasure for this gaming universe.

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2007, 06:23:52 PM »
Josh: I think it's been close to a year since Celtos' last release. 

Archer:  Excellent example, Although Wizkids was formed by some ex-R.P. guys who had plenty of experience with the property IIRC.

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 06:34:06 PM »
Hello.

I understand your points Gubs, but we are dreamers and idealists here. We dare to believe that some how one way or another we will preserve our game. Maybe we will be crazy/lucky/inspired enough to do it. Till then my motto is have pewter will play.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Coki

• Chronopia World
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 01:53:42 AM »
The rulebook is imho the best play system in the market (Chronopia, i didn't play Warzone ;) ). The problem is, the most player think rulebook = game system with own figure line.
The future of small system is a split. The rulebook with own creation system for figures (like BattleValue System by Classic BattleTech or Character generator by Roleplaying Systems) is a stand alone part. And the figures line is the another stand alone part.
In the future to play with Chronopia rules, they didn't need only Chronopia figures.

In this form has Chronopia a future.

Coki

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 04:24:47 AM »
Josh: I think it's been close to a year since Celtos' last release. 

Archer:  Excellent example, Although Wizkids was formed by some ex-R.P. guys who had plenty of experience with the property IIRC.

Close...  WizKids was founded by Mort Weisman's brother Jordan- who was a co-owner of FASA.  He promptly "got rid" of Battletech, selling rights to FANPro to produce... which had a recieved a punch in the gut with the release of Mechwarrior Clix and a storyline hammering.

I know some of the gents involved with Classic Tech; nice fellas and iirc not amused by the hole they started from.  *shrug*

All those involved had experience with the property.  But I remember the hue and cry over ClixTech from the regular tech community.  Hell... I was one of them. :)  What FanPro has done with the property is amazing, considering how little initial support there was... but the guys at FP are vets of the game and at least one was a line developer.

In essence, Battletech passed from FASA to WizKids to FanPro; two hand offs.  And is still around and starting to flourish again (it is the game that will not die, which is a good thing)

Next question...  ;D
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2007, 04:30:23 AM »
I was thought that Battletech had a HUGE fan base and something like 20yrs of being out in the market. This is what really help that game line find its legs again...also (taking a shot in the dark) most retailers,I believe, dont have any bad history with game line.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful