Author Topic: Starshell  (Read 4668 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Starshell
« on: October 28, 2006, 07:05:03 PM »
If using night-fighting rules, do you have to have LOS to fire a Starshell (12" visibility for night time)?  Is it the same -8 RC as targeting a muzzle flash?  Is it easier to hit the "area" around the muzzle flash?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: Starshell
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:28:29 PM »
If using night-fighting rules, do you have to have LOS to fire a Starshell (12" visibility for night time)?  Is it the same -8 RC as targeting a muzzle flash?  Is it easier to hit the "area" around the muzzle flash?

I think it should not be penalized- as you are shooting in a general direction with such a shell, I would think it is the normal -4 nightime penalty.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:31:37 PM »

I think it should not be penalized- as you are shooting in a general direction with such a shell, I would think it is the normal -4 nightime penalty.

Normal night time penalty is -8 RC for firing at muzzle flash.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 08:33:11 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:16:39 AM »
Careful!  We tread dangerous ground when we start applying common sense to wargame rules.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 05:13:18 AM »
I agree with Archer your firing at a spot with LOS 12" and the -4 would apply. Also That would light up an 8" diameter where any model in the area could be targeted normally.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 09:19:42 AM »
preparing to open a BIG can of worms... ;)

What about firing at a spot 30 inches away? example: morter is on a roof, can only "see" 12". If he wants to lob a starshell over 30" away, can he do it? what if there is gunfire in the area? would he need an FO to launch it? could an FO launch it? if so, at what mods? Taking it a step further... presuming that the FO can call for a star shell..  if the 1st round is the starshell, does that count as a "spotter round"? and, does it negate the -4 for firing at night on further shots?

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:08:55 PM »
I would think that he would need a FO that is within 12" to spot for the Mortar, as the mortar would then be shooting blind and would maybe hit his own troops...

I say this because in reality (I know, I'm bringing the real into this), a mrtar always needs coordinates transmitted to the gunner if the spotter can't see his intended target because of range or conditions (like darkness)...

so, extrapolating this into the game, a FO within 12" would have to spot for the mortar, using whichever penalties are applicable, to get a lock, then transmit the info to the mortar, who then would fire on the target...

the question to me is if the mortar then gets to fire with normal penalties for firing from a FO's data, or if it has to fire with the darkness penalties...

B...
hope that made any sense...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 09:26:48 AM »
I think this is still uncleared... any FAQ Team answer?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
A starshell's purpose is to illuminate an area.  It may be fired at an area that is, technically, beyond sight distance (due to darkness, not LOS).  Therefore, the starshell may be fired, at night, with no penalty (other than range) as it is fired at an area.  However, it only illuminates what's under the template, and nothing else.