Author Topic: Between Books Lowdown.  (Read 9136 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Between Books Lowdown.
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:18:40 AM »
Well, I've organized two events at this store, and I think I can improve on the next meeting, but I'd like people's input.
1.  Terrain and boards--I'm going to see what Greg has down there, and see about using more of what they've got.  At least having four or five mats would be a start.  Bryon had a great idea for everyone to bring ten pieces of terrain so that if I have to roll early, the party doesn't have to stop.  Greg had a strict 6:00 cutoff, and we ended up breaking early, so I feel I let down some guys who came out of their way for a full day of gaming.  My apologies.  Next event I'll make sure we book on a night when people can stay late, and make sure tables remain in full effect.
2.  More advance notice.  This event now has turned into a (roughly) six week thing.   I should have dates worked out with Greg further in advance so people can plan on making it.  I've tried to organize these events around people's schedules but now I'm just going to book the date way in advance, and players can chime in letting me know if they can make it.
3.  Overall vibe.  Will this be a casual get together of gamers or will we ratchet it up a notch with more competetive play?  League stuff?  Something more con-like with a schedule and three games?  This is where things get tricky, as some people are there to get a game in, hang out, get lunch, do some shopping, chat, and roll, while others want to be throwing dice and pushing pewter more.  I've made the effort this last time to play Dodger in Chronopia, (his Blackbloods are coming along with some great painting), play Bryon's son Lucas in a first demo game of Warzone (I GOT MY ASS KICKED BY A NINE YEAR OLD, OKAY?),  and play a one squad pop-song length game against the Old Silverback.  I made the effort to play people that I don't normally play with, and I would like to see everyone do the same.  What's the point of bringing a diverse group of gamers together just to have the people who play often play again, only in a store?

Last bit: Thanks for coming out, and hopefully continuing to do so.  If you're not comfortable posting your suggestions or replies, pm me.  My enthusiasm is great for rounding up the people and booking the event, but my lack of organizational skills can be appalling, and help making this event go smoothly is not only appreciated, but I'm humbly asking for it.

Cheers,

Joshua Slater
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
Re: Between Books Lowdown.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:50:04 AM »
I thought that everything went quite smoothly on sunday, at least, as well as it could with the 6:00 cut-off. About the only suggestion i have is, can we rotate the tables 90 degrees so that we are out of the "corners" and create some room for people to pass by? or is that a "fire hazard"?

As to getting people to play other people, I can get from Bill Refsland his rules for a Chronopia Campaign, but, that kinda limits it to those of us that play chronopia. Not sure what to do for the Warzone folks, though, i'm sure the rules could be modified for warzone. But, is this what we want to do, or, do we want to keep it casual?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:22:26 AM »
I'm looking for some middle ground.  The idea being that if people are going out of their way for a whole day of gaming, I should try to coordinate a little better to get players meeting for the first time to game.  I don't know about a campaign, especially since we've got two games going on at the same event!!  I don't even want to touch that issue.  I think a little more than casual, and a little less than, "This is a con."  A happier medium of sorts. 

As for the tables, I'll talk to Greg.  If 'ya ask me, that whole place is a fire hazard, and needs a good cleaning.  Dalton's asthma got so bad I thought he was dyin' on the ride home. 

As for the tables.  Good suggestion Jeff.  Good points too.  I'd like to get a consensus from the people that were there, and hash out some ideas. 

Who were those people playing the Pirate game?  Was that Lucky1 and I just didn't recognize him in the chaos?  I would think we would remember each other, having met a few times.  I didn't know if they were players wanting to join in our games or what.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:35:53 AM »
I would recommend that you go with the more casual events. Meeting dates that are 6 weeks apart are not conducive to leagues or campaigns as it is difficult to maintain a cohesive storyline over such time spans. That being said I see no problem with tournaments and "Battles for the Bill". Both lend themselves well to groups meeting with long breaks between sessions.

A "Battle for the Bill" is when individuals or teams fight it out and the winners get treated to dinner by the losers. The important things to do is agree on restaurants and price limits beforehand. Also do not pressure anyone into it. There is no need to put people on the line if they cannot or do not want to participate. Occassionally I have ran a tourney and as Judge I offer the prize that tourney winner gets dinner on me. When I do it this way the winner also chooses from a master list of places. I want to stress that this is not about the check but rather about having fun and gathering together to discuss the day over a good meal with good friends. I would recommend letting people sign up and then drawing names out of a hat to determine matches.

If there are people playing other gamnes and they seem interested then invite them over and show them the game. I recommend having a few pre-made armies for interested observers. Take the time to teach them and then welcome them to the fold. I would recomend armies that are straight-forward that do not rely on tricks, magic or in-depth knowledge of the rules to play effectively.
Storyline campaigns would not be impossible but it would take meticulous record keeping. I don't envy the coordinator of such an event.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »
The 3 playing Pirates were Tim (Ninja cat), Shanon (Tim's wife) and Mark. I dont know if they brought their mnis with them, but they brought pirates, Munchkin, and Ninja Burger with, so that if someone wanted something else to do, they could, if there wasnt an available table.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 11:13:22 AM »
Okay.  Got it.  I wish I would have introduced myself to them, as one is a forum member, and it would be great to have them bring their armies as well.  As it was, I didn't know them from Adam.  I will have to PM Ninja Cat to let him know of future events.

I didn't mind them using the small table for something other than Chrono/Warzone.  I'm sure they would have deferred to the day's gathering if we needed more table space.  As it was, we did alright.  Last time we had to set up another table in the middle of the store. 

Greg's store is more than accomodating with us.  If we schedule our event, he will steer the people playing other games to another day. 

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:17:54 PM »
Sorry I was not there. I have been getting by on 4-6 hours of sleep. My wife is getting less right now. I plan on being there next time hopefully late Feb. I could bring Munchkin but I would prefer to play Warzone. I rather enjoy being a dual class dwarf/elf with a steed and a sidekick and using the cheat card to equip with, also dual race is fun.:)
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 06:07:57 AM »
Congrats on the baby, Tim!!  Sleep will be a rare commodity for a while. 

I'll let you know of the next one, and bring Warzone and Chronopia.  It's cool people want to bring other games when all the Warzone/Chronopia tables are full, but I'm trying to keep things focused.

This doesn't mean someone can't organize other events at Between Books...  I've never played Munchkin.

Cheers.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »
When are you planning the next event at Between Books?
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 01:41:31 PM »
I'm thinking Feb. 24th.  I'll call Greg and see if he's down.  I have a lot more prep to do for this one. 
1.  I want to make sure people can hang late.
2.  I want to know who's bringing what terrain.
3.  I'm going to see if Greg can at least provide some mats and terrain to make it easier on all of us.
4.  More advance notice, and emailing, phoning, bribing and begging to get the same turnout we've had. 

DISCLAIMER--I HAVE TO SEE WHAT ARCHERCON IS SHAPING UP TO BE BEFORE I CAN COMMIT TO THIS.

STAY TUNED.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 09:14:29 AM »
I'm thinking Feb. 24th.  I'll call Greg and see if he's down.  I have a lot more prep to do for this one. 
1.  I want to make sure people can hang late.
2.  I want to know who's bringing what terrain.
3.  I'm going to see if Greg can at least provide some mats and terrain to make it easier on all of us.
4.  More advance notice, and emailing, phoning, bribing and begging to get the same turnout we've had. 

DISCLAIMER--I HAVE TO SEE WHAT ARCHERCON IS SHAPING UP TO BE BEFORE I CAN COMMIT TO THIS.
STAY TUNED.

From the head of Archercon-

Waiting to learn of Uncle Sam requirements before annoucing.  Will advise as soon as I know something.

John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »
Thanks John.  'Gotta let Greg know what's going on. 

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 12:07:35 PM »
Thanks John.  'Gotta let Greg know what's going on. 

No prob.

Go ahead and set up something there- I can function as a secondary event/venue.

Keep in mind, Archercon will allow adult beverages but impaired folks stay the night.  Dem's da rulez.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:33 PM »

Keep in mind, Archercon will allow adult beverages but impaired folks stay the night.  Dem's da rulez.

Darn! Now thats just no fun at all. Gaming and adult beverages without fear of driving home or having to leave early? What kind of monster are you? Looking out for our health and welfare like that. You sound almost like a friend. Whoda thunk it? ;)
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »

Darn! Now thats just no fun at all. Gaming and adult beverages without fear of driving home or having to leave early? What kind of monster are you? Looking out for our health and welfare like that. You sound almost like a friend. Whoda thunk it? ;)

Bryon,

Its because I want to keep around opponents for future beat-do- err.... future games.  No one to play with means dusty models.  And thats a Bad Thing. ;) :D ;)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."