Author Topic: Color schemes and complimaintary colours  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Morfdoggs

Color schemes and complimaintary colours
« on: October 03, 2005, 03:06:59 PM »
http://www.jenova.dk/Pics/TipsAndTutorials/ComplimentaryColors/Wheel3.jpg
 Here is a color wheel, I have one hanging in front of me when I paint. This helps when picking out your colours. You don't want to paint with colors that are next to each other looks to close together. So the idea is to go with something across from your first color. A complimantary color is like purple and yellow,red and greens. This wheel will help everybody, I know it helps me so here ya go all.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline AeA

Re: Color schemes and complimaintary colours
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 06:43:59 AM »
One often-quoted rule of thumb about colour wheels, for those that find them useful, says that you usually don't want the exact opposite colour, but something around 120 degrees to either side of your first pick. This still gives good contrast but not quite as strong and potentially vision-destroying as the directly opposite colour. Lightness of the hue makes the issue a bit trickier, though, and any decent physical colour wheel available from artists' supply stores has the lightness built in as a radial component (plus a stencil for convenient viewing of pre-determined colour pairings/sets without interference from adjoining shades).

Of course, rules of thumb are rules of thumb, the neurological and psychological aspects of human colour perception  tend to get quite complicated at times, one's artistic vision may vary and a colour wheel is ultimately just a tool for keeping the classic concepts of colour harmonics in mind.

Offline AeA

Re: Color schemes and complimaintary colours
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 07:01:10 AM »
...and here's something I stumbled upon today while reading about colour blindness. Possibly the niftiest computerized colour wheel I've seen so far, even if it seems to require Javascript to function.

http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html