Author Topic: Impaler question  (Read 4404 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Impaler question
« on: October 03, 2005, 08:40:08 AM »
Does the Impaler still follow the rules for shooting that other missile troops do?  In that, it can't fire at anything closer that 10", so can it target freely outside of that?  It's an individul, but doesn't have Eagle Eye.  So we've been playing where it can't target any particular model out of a unit, but that it can target the big nasties or further missile units, within reason.   The whole point of the thing is to take things out a distance, especially big scary monsters. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Wolfshade

• Journeyman
Re: Impaler question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 11:41:53 AM »
  To my knowledge, the rule of having to shoot at a target within so much distance (8-12 inches, not sure) still applies.  Otherwise you got it right.
Elf, It's good with A-1 too!!!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 05:14:59 PM »
The Impaler is classed as an Individual in the Dwarven list, so it would have all the rules for an individual missile troop.

Normally missile troops cannot fire at a more distant model if there is an unpaniced enemy model within 12".

However there are two exceptions.

1. Individuals, such as the Impaler, can fire at a more distant target, even with an enemy within 12".

2. A model can fire at a larger, more distant target, as long as the firer can see at least 1/2 of the target, and the target is at least 1 SZ larger than all closer units.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 06:03:59 AM »
I've managed to use it to good effect lately, taking out a Repulsar Marksman and leaving my opponent slack-jawed in a 1000 point tournament game.  Lucky for me, I used an ancient Grenadier model from a boxed set of dwarves, featuring two dwarves on one base, with the front one shouldering a giant crossbow, and the guy in the back aiming it.  I'm looking forward to EE getting this model out.  The impaler is the only reach weapon the dwarves have.  Those Vulture crossbows are only goin' out to 21".  Having an impaler blastin' away forces an enemy to close, and that's right where you want'em. 

Thanks for the rules help guys.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA