Author Topic: Command distance?  (Read 7029 times)

Offline WagesofSin

Command distance?
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:24:48 PM »
   I have a few issues concerning command distances.

In the rulebook, pg 54, it says that in the beggining of a units activation models outside of command distance must use moves until they are back within Command distance. What if the model is in close combat? Does it need to break out of CC or will it defend itself first and only when it is out of CC does it return to Command distance?

Also, how does movement of your leaders effect the location of the Command radius? Does the Command radius stay where the leader first activated even if the leader moves away from that area or does the radius always "follow" the leader?

Meaning, if the latter is correct, that if you have a unit with a leader and you activate the leader first rushing him as far forward as you can(leaving the other warband members behind) then he will be leaving the rest of his squad members out of Command distance forcing them to move after him. Also, can a model use a run action to get back into Command distance?

-Or-

If the former is correct, then even if you move your leader first the rest of your warband will count as being within command radius since the unit started with everyone already within Command distance.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 03:34:34 PM by WagesofSin »

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Command distance?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 03:48:29 PM »
They do not have to break from CC but they will suffer the penalites ( I don't have the Chronopia book on hand to tell you what they are)

The Command distance moves with the model.  You can activate the closest models first, then move the Leader towards the units that are out of Command Distance, thus bringing them into the radius and negating the need for wasted actions.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 09:31:27 PM »
Correct as usual, Joe.

Models that are engaged in CC while out of Command Distance are not required to Break from CC, the fight takes precedence.

The only penalties for being outside Command Distance is that models not engaged in CC must make Move actions to get back into Command, at which point they may act normally if they have any actions remaining.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline WagesofSin

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 05:24:46 AM »
Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

Just one more thing at Joe:

You say that I can activate the closest non-leader models first, use my leader to get near the models that were out of CD, then activate those models normally since they are now within CD correct? However I was under the impression that you had to move models out of CD first? Have I misunderstood anything?

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »
Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

Just one more thing at Joe:

You say that I can activate the closest non-leader models first, use my leader to get near the models that were out of CD, then activate those models normally since they are now within CD correct? However I was under the impression that you had to move models out of CD first? Have I misunderstood anything?

I don't see Joe online at the moment, so I'll answer this one.

It all depends on which models you activate first in the Warband.

If your first activation in a Warband is a model that is outside Command Distance, it must move back into Command before it can act normally.

However, if you activate the Leader first, you can move him into a position where the models are now within Command Distance, they may activate normally in the turn.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 10:40:26 PM »
SouthPaw nailed it.

AFAIK  You can still move whichever model you want to first.

My newly acquired Chronopia book has been borrowed more or less permananlty, so you can find page numbers sayin that they have to activate if they're outside of Command distance, then you've got it.  but as far as i know, that's it.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline WagesofSin

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 02:41:23 AM »
All cleared up, thanks everyone! Good karma for everybody!

Offline WagesofSin

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 03:34:17 AM »

Actually, I've got a follow up question. It's regarding leaderless warbands.

In leaderless warbands(let's assume LD is equal) the first model you activate is the leader. Since we've accepted that the CD moves with the leader, does this not mean that the warband is at a great disadvantage? It means the current leader can't move very far away or else the rest of the warband will be out of CD. This slows down the warband considerably. Now, I understand if this is used to show the disorganization of a warband that has lost its leader, but what about warbands that start out with no leader such as Goblin lancers, The cursed, the forgotten, etc. In the case of goblin lancers it makes a makes a massive impact because their speed of 7" means the leaders has to slow himself down to stay within CD of the rest of the squad. Is this deliberate or yet another oversight by EE?

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 08:45:43 AM »
It is deliberate, and has its good as well as bad points.

Yes it can slow the unit down in some situations, since the cohesiveness of a leaderless Warband is not as strong as one with a full-time Leader.

However it also has its good points, as in a situation where a model may be outside Command Distance. Simply nominate that first model to activate first that turn, thus becoming the Leader, and it's very difficult to have models in a leaderless Warband outside of Command Distance, since the Leader can change from turn to turn.

Leaderless Warband's can also shift direction faster than normal Warbands, if per se you nominate a figure on one corner of the Warband as Leader for one turn, then a member on another edge of the Warband as Leader for the next, and so on and so forth. Yes it does slow them down a bit, but at closer distances, this can be a very valuable tactical option.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin