Author Topic: What happened with Excelsior???  (Read 9350 times)

Romiras

What happened with Excelsior???
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:49:47 AM »
Sorry, I haven’t been around for a while.

Can somebody tell me what’s going on with Chronopia and Warzone?

I tried to find Excelsior WEB site to no success.

Thanks!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: What happened with Excelsior???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:40:51 AM »
well, keep searching the forum, or see here..

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=785.0

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=763.0

and a lot others..

-> excelsior is dead, as is warzone and chronopia (exept if YOU play it)
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:59:22 AM »

-> excelsior is dead, as is warzone and chronopia (exept if YOU play it)

The company may be out of business but the games are not DEAD. Thats just what we dont need when someone new comes around asking about the game. That kind of negativity is totally uncalled for and unnecessary.

The game may be unsupported right now < and very likely in the future> but there are lots of people still playing and more coming to the table all the time. That doesnt sound like dead to me! With new converts and lots of conversions being done, the game is actually doing pretty well all things considering. Again doesnt sound DEAD to me!

New <altho unoffical> figs are being designed and tested and more scenarios are being written and tested. Tourneys are being run, weekeds and nites of gaming are being played. Again doesnt sound DEAD to me!

For a game thats DEAD you seem to have lots of opinions and comments on the forum. If you feel so strongly in the negative about it, take it elsewhere. Stop trying to ruin the enjoyment of others who actually like and play the game and would like to see it succeed with the hope< tho slight> that something positive could come of it in the future.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:06:56 AM »
Whoa Philly -

I think Aldrien was trying to express that although the company is gone the game will only die if we stop playing. He might not have gotten the phrase-ology right but I believe his intent was pure and good. Let's not let grammatical error start a flamefest we cannot afford.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »
I have to disagree with you on this one. I dont think his grammar is all that bad when he says  the company is dead as are the games. Thats a statement that sounds like it comes from someone who knows what he is talking about.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:22:37 AM »
I'm looking at the comma and thinking he might have meant -

excelsior is dead   ,    as is warzone and chronopia (exept if YOU play it)

Giving the comma it's proper due he might have meant to say -
excelsior is deadThe company has died, as is warzone and chronopia will (exept if unless YOU WE play it)

I hope this is how it was meant and agree if not it is a negative vibe we don't need here. I'm gonna give Aldrien the benefit of the doubt and see what he has to say about it all first.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:27:03 AM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:56:30 AM »
ohhh my----

I think someone is quite sensitive here...

He did not know EE went down, so the game is not active anymore (as opposed to players!)
(anyway, how do you define a dead game? if the company stops producing it, in my view)

the real point might have been
(exept if YOU play it)

so, I rephrase:

EE is out of buisness, but as long as you like you can play the game, since you are alive, and so are all the games you care to play.

cuīs

*edit:  i admit poor choise of wording in my original post.. I was a little fustrated, because I just had a discussion with my old 1.ed WZ buddy (he painted the cybers) and his opinion was: why do you waste so much time making a dead games army? We discussed, and since there are almost no players left (the german forum is almost dead) I tendet to agree...  :-\, even if, technicall, a game is not dead as long as someone is playing it.
(i managed to convert 3 people, btw!)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:09:46 AM by Aldrien »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:34:41 AM »
ohhh my----

I think someone is quite sensitive here...

I wouldnt say sensitive. I would say tired of negativity.

Ive been asked not to start a flame war so I wont <which I dont think speaking my mind would do>, but I might suggest that in the future you check your posts before posting them so there wont be any "misunderstandings". This isnt the first time Ive read something on here and didnt like it, its just  this time Ive said something. I would call a game that A company has stopped producing but people are still playing a HIATUS. There is interest out there for the game both corprate and personal. So there is a chance < tho slight> that this game could come back into production again, after all it did once before after it was labled "DEAD".

And Topkick I agree with you that if you read more into it than is there his statement could have meant that, but based on what he wrote I think my response was appropriate. If he had taken a few seconds to read his post then this wouldnt have been an issue. He managed to get his point across quite clearly after someone said something about it.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »
ok, ok, I think I will try to be more sensitive to the "negativ" senitivity that is present here..

but, why do you think I wanted to state something negative?

I converted a gaming group
I put a lot of efforts/time/money in the game (belive me, it is expensive.. alone the materials ran at 160 E, + a LOT of figs I bought this year)
I post here regulary -> my interest is high

perhaps someone could get a wrong impression based upon this one post, but you should know that I am as entusiastic as anyone else here!

you are free to not like what I write, but exept in cases of insult (which I hopefully did not) there is no reason to belive I am negative about the game.

so, if anyone has a comment to my postings, please respond, but donīt accuse me of beeing destructive

so, peace now?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »
That sounds good to me.  We all love these games or we wouldn't be posting.  There is some sensitivity regarding Excelsior; a lot of us supported them, and even though they were small, at least we had someone producing the models.  Let's not get too sensitive over the issue, or insensitive to the collapse of the company.  Thom has been nice enough to keep these boards running, so our community can stay intact. 

The games live as long as there are people to play.  I just introduced my nine year old nephew to Chronopia, so I know I'll have someone to pass all the models down to one day.   Let's keep things positive and keep painting, playing, and posting. 

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 12:03:55 PM »
Well said my dear sir. You da' man. It's no Nobel Peace Prize but please accept this karma in the spirit intended

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 02:04:19 PM »
I interpreted it the same way as Topkick.

Don't let grammar mistakes, especially non-native English speakers, start flame wars.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 02:11:35 PM »
Thanks Coil. I take it as a compliment that you and I agreed on this - maybe there is hope for me after all  ;D

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 08:40:57 PM »
I will step up and apologize since it seems that I read it incorrectly. Aldrien you have my sincerest apologies.

Bryon

Homebase- Philadelphia